3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old school fiberglass hunting arrows...  (Read 1710 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Old school fiberglass hunting arrows...
« on: May 13, 2023, 05:15:03 AM »
Were they ever a good option?  Does anyone still use them?  Can anyone share info on their experience with them?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Re: Old school fiberglass hunting arrows...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:37:15 AM »
They were very heavy. That's all I remember. Been a long time since I shot them except for fishing.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:47:40 AM »
When I got started 58 yrs a go micro flite arrows were the best there was. I was talked into buying a used  Kodiak mag for $45 and putting the $20 difference of a new one into microflites. They were always straight and very tuff, the pro shop owner shot them into a brick wall  to prove it. The shop owner said you'll never kill anything with a bow, arrows kill so buy the best ones available. They were heavy and after about 5 yrs I went to aluminum.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:50:55 AM »
I'm not talking about fishing arrows. I have a large quantity of hollow fiberglass shafts, not unlike carbons, that were probably manufactured in the '60s or '70s.

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 01:22:49 PM »
Micro Flite is all that Bob Swinehart used.

Offline DCANAPP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
45 years ago they sold them at a sporting goods and when I bought 2 of them I treated them like gold and was afraid of losing them or breaking.
 But as I remember they were very tough.
 I would definitely fletch some up and use them..

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 02:16:57 PM »
I'm asking because I just came across a bunch of them, and I wonder if they are of any use.  I probably have a few hundred of them.  They are from my dad's old archery shop, and are stamped with his company logo.  He may have had them manufactured. 

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 06:13:53 PM »
Love them, very dependable and nice hunting weight. I have mostly Gordon’s and M J Log/Herters which were both made by Gordon. Probably 6-10 dz in #8’s and down.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 07:53:17 PM »
52 years ago I bought my first bow, a Bear Kodiak Magnum bow and some orange MJ Log fiberglass arrows. I remember they were very heavy arrows. I think I still have 2-3 I didn't shatter hitting rocks, etc. I then switched over to Bear cedar arrows and still couldn't hit anything. :biglaugh:

Online WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »
What spine and length are the ones you have Archie?
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 09:12:15 PM »
What spine and length are the ones you have Archie?

I don't know, and don't have a spine tester.  There are probably a few different variety of shaft types.  If they still have some value I'll figure out next what to do with them.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 09:36:15 PM »
I shot micro-flies back in the day.  As others have said, good weight and fairly straight.  I did find that they mushroomed fairly easily on hard impacts though.  There were other manufacturers as well, Gordon Glassshafts, Fleetwood glass, Condor Log fiberglass, Farbenglas, Glas-lite, Gilmore Glass, etc.
Difficult to say what yours are.  Micro-flites, and some other brands, had quite a bit of texture. 

Regardless, the limiting factor nowadays is the inserts. Still a fair number of shafts around, but not a lot of inserts.   

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 12:23:09 AM »
Archie if you want to sale a dozen I will buy them.  I got a dozen from my grandfather, and they was Bear.  I shot many deer, turkey and bear with them.  I always lived the weight, I would say take a good wood shaft in a blender, add flexibility of carbons in there, what comes out are those.  Really do not know why people arent making them today.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 12:39:18 AM »
My first deer hunting arrows were Microflights. I had Bear as well. When I moved to San Diego I bought Gordon’s at their plant in San Marcos. But by then I was one of the few using them. Most of the men in the club used aluminum.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 12:46:30 AM »
My first deer hunting arrows were Microflights. I had Bear as well. When I moved to San Diego I bought Gordon’s at their plant in San Marcos. But by then I was one of the few using them. Most of the men in the club used aluminum.

Dads archery shop was in San Diego, late 60's - mid 70's.  Roman Archery.  We just dug these old shafts out from his shop inventory from way back.  Brought them to Alaska in 1979 with the family when we moved (I was a kid), and they've been in storage ever since.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 08:11:03 AM »
My second & third set of arrows were fiberglass. The first ones was a sort of off brand shaft called "Mohawks" and the second set was from Bear archery..... but looking back I suspect that they may have been microflites privately labeled.

The Mohawks was crooked as snakes but the Bear archery set was really good; except they came with vanes and shot like crap from my Ben Pearson Gamester recurve...circa 1972.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
Looks like he used Roman numerals, so they can be converted using the old Bear charts.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »
Archie if you want to sale a dozen I will buy them.  I got a dozen from my grandfather, and they was Bear.  I shot many deer, turkey and bear with them.  I always lived the weight, I would say take a good wood shaft in a blender, add flexibility of carbons in there, what comes out are those.  Really do not know why people arent making them today.
I wouldn't mind selling some, but I need to figure out what is going on with them first.  I posted a pic of 3 different varieties, but I know there are others.  I don't know what the spines are, or if there's anything I should be concerned about regarding their condition.  (Old, dry, brittle?  I don't know if fiberglass has those kinds of problems.)  Guys have mentioned inserts... I may be able to find inserts for some or all of them.  I know at one point we had many drawers full of hundreds and thousands of different inserts from dad's old inventory, so if I can find them that may change things. 

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 01:13:55 PM »
I knew of your dad, never met him that I know of but remember his articles in the old Bow and Arrow magazines. Do you have any idea who made the shafts-any name on shipping labels, outside of boxes etc? Reason I ask is the numbering system of Microflite and Gordon dictates slightly different spines.

Your picture shows numbers 4, 10 and 8, albeit roman numerals. These indicated the different spine groups. A serch of the internet will provide spine charts for both Gordon and Microflite, as well as Glashaft and Duraflite. Just off the top 4's are for 35-40, 8's would be 55-60 and 10's are 65-70 if they were made by Gordon.

Regarding inserts they are vital to find especially the nock end ones. Some screw in inserts for aluminums will fit the inside diameter but don't have the lip for the increased wall thickness of fiberglass so on hard hits the insert is rammed up inside splitting the end. Also very common back in those days were one piece glue in broadhead adapters too for these shafts.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 07:35:52 PM »
Hated them.  Shot several different brands in the 60’s and 70’s.  Had trouble getting inserts to stick using either hot melt or epoxy.  Hit something solid and the cracked.  No thanks.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©