Author Topic: Super Glue for finishing  (Read 2448 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Glue for finishing
« on: May 28, 2023, 10:17:12 PM »
I'm working on restoring a bow and used super glue on the riser to seal it (oily wood).

It's so fast to cure, hard, and easy sanding, I was wondering if anyone has used it on limbs. My assumption would be that it's to hard and brittle for use on limbs, but I thought I'd ask.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Glue for finishing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
I think the problem is application.  It seems like it could end up a huge mess.  Definitely try on some glass scraps.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 09:58:30 AM »
I've seen super glue used as a finish on bows and arrows with good results. One problem is the application. It has to go down and be spread in ONE motion. As long as it is wet it spreads smoothly but if you stop it sets and you have a mess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 03:45:37 PM »
I'm not sure how flexible that stuff would be on fiberglass limbs.... Might want to crack on you.  Sounds like a nightmare to me....

With that being said.... I've used CA glue to fill pores on risers before with good luck, but it takes a few coats to do it....    kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 04:22:29 PM »
I've been experimenting with Min Wax wood hardener as a grain filler.  It's being done on knife scales.  Osage, Spectraply,  walnut and bocote.   I'm out of time on projects right now and for the next couple weeks 😩
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:19:17 AM »
Brandon from Rose Oak Creations used to use polyester to fill grain and use as a base coat for a sanding sealer build up... He did a lot of high gloss finishes which requires a good base so it can be sanded smooth.

I believe this is what he was using...   

https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Polyester-Finishing-Resin-Quart/dp/B00PZ1CU1G/ref=asc_df_B00PZ1CU1G?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539281984748&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138858204697&psc=1
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »
Going back to the 90’s. There was a gentleman in So Ca. that used SG as a finish on his LB’s. Unfortunately after awhile it would start to flake off. He switched to a more conventional finish. Could have been the prep?

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »
I know some bowyers that used 5 min. epoxy mixed with acetone and they got a beautiful finish

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 12:43:49 PM »
I know some bowyers that used 5 min. epoxy mixed with acetone and they got a beautiful finish

I've done this to fill wood grain, worked pretty well.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 08:58:21 PM »

That's known as a "Massie Finish".  Tricky to apply but bullet proof..... well at least highly water resistant.   :goldtooth:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 09:34:23 PM »

Steve Tallent from Eagle Wing Custom Archery used to swear by the 5 minute epoxy thinned with acetone for filling pores and getting a good base for a gloss finish.... But... it's not the easiest thing to sand. I've tried it before myself on wenge... worked great! But i dont think i'd use it as a finish.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 03:54:03 PM »
I would go with the thin epoxy and thin it 1 to 1 with acetone. Smear it on and sand smooth. Seals the oily woods so you can spray with whatever.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 11:20:16 AM »
With most woods I have great luck just using spray lacquer for a sanding sealer, but it doesn’t work well for filling grain slots like Wenge or paduke has.

I’ve got to the point where I just lay on a heavy wet coat or two of my auto clear coating to fill pores and let it dry for a bit, then level sand it. No muss , no fuss, works fine… one less thing to deal with…. Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 05:17:01 PM »
Didn't Bob Morrison use CA as the finish on his snake skinned limbs?

I have used it as a finish on other wooden projects and it looks like glass - and does not require the detailed sanding as is usually the case when applying a finish. 

Best advice for those who try it is to apply it with a bare finger (you'll use acetone to wash it off later) and RESIST the urge to breath on it to force it to dry quicker.  Never do that or the moisture in your breath will cause it to cloud up on you 100% of the time.  You can sand it between coats, then use a tack cloth and reapply.   If it clouds up on you it must be completely removed, then the process starts again...

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »
 :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Using a bare finger to spread CA is NOT good advise… use a rubber glove. Just cut the fingers off and use one at a time and throw them away as you go… You should also wear a respirator using CA like this. That stuff is seriously toxic to breath those fumes.

I believe Bob Morrison was using True Oil on snake skins for finish. That is quite common because it’s flexible once it’s cured. Using your finger for application works well with true oil too. That is the only finish I’ve seen on snake skin backed bows that works well unless you are using an oil base finish like linseed oil.
And that stuff is a mess…IMO. 
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2023, 12:23:10 PM »
In years past I believe that folks that used super glue over snake skins found that it did in fact crack with use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2023, 01:34:27 PM »
I use Thunderbird Lacquer Sealer works great

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 09:50:03 PM »
In years past I believe that folks that used super glue over snake skins found that it did in fact crack with use.

Absolutely.... Steve Tallent tried it once, and had to use true oil over it... But he saved the skins doing it.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 09:56:19 PM »
I use Thunderbird Lacquer Sealer works great

Any brushing lacquer works as a good sanding sealer. Buy Deft brushing lacquer is less than half the price, and there is no difference. I have used both.....   

The only thing you need to watch out for is shrinkage. Filling deep grain requires several coats and drying time. You can get a beautiful smooth finish, and have it shrink over time.... For deep grain like wenge or Black palm, or oak where you want no grain showing in the finish,  using polyester resin or epoxy will fill it better with less shrinkage.    .02 cents worth
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 05:43:43 AM »
Didn't Bob Morrison use CA as the finish on his snake skinned limbs?

He may have at one time. But as long as I remember he used Thunderbird Epoxy Gloss.

For a grain filler our sandable filler sealer works great, dries fast and sands easily. A pint does a lot of bows.   https://tbirdarchery.com/shop/ols/products/thunderbird-filler-sealer-quart
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 05:52:15 AM by Bow man »
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©