3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't believe I didn't shoot...  (Read 393 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't believe I didn't shoot...
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
As it often happens I'm out shooting after work, I get off work at midnight so I shoot by the flood lights of my garage.

Anyway as I release my last arrow from the bow I spot the raccoon that has torn my garbage to shreds on several occasions.  Now since all my arrows are in my target I run up to retrieve them and get them back in the quiver.  I nock an arrow and wait to see if he'll come around my garage and sure enough the does...matter of fact I'm 6-7 feet from him at full draw and he could care less.  I focused on the spot between his eyes and for some reason didn't let it fly.

All I could think about was the field point on the end of my arrow and if it would have done the job.  So I watch him for a minute to see what he's going to do and he just starts walking around my back yard.  So I go inside and grab a broadhead and head back outside.  You guessed it he's gone.  I've practiced this way for months and this is the first time I've ever seen this stinking thing.  

I'm going to start putting a G5 S.G.H. in my pocket from now on.

Just can't believe I let him walk, guess it was just his luck day.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't believe I didn't shoot...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
It was his lucky day!!!!!

I think these has happen to all of us thinking if the animal gives a better shot and always thinking before you release , my archery mentor always said

"if you are going to kill a deer you have to shoot some arrows,"

I always wait for the deer to be closer , for it to be an easier shot, but sometimes I have waited to long or have been thinking to much that I don`t even shot ,

shoot the arrow!!!!! enjoy
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
Electing not to shoot a field point into a critter is always a good choice.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
It's better to regret not taking the shot,than to regret taking the shot.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
Sounds like a good choice to me.  I dislike coons as much as the next guy, but they are wild animals and don't deserve a terrible death.  A field point to the brain itself would have done the job, but the brain is tiny, and anything less could have gotten very ugly before you could finish it.  
He'll be back.  And you'll be better prepared!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Gerardo, the biggest buck I ever saw in the wild walked away from me like that!

But I am in favor of erring on the prudent side rather than the rash. In my early years, I gained the experience needed to adopt that philosophy!  :saywhat:  

Killdeer  :knothead:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
You made the right choice.  Coons can be a tough critter.  I've always used broadheads to take them.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Your instincts made the right decision.  
The chance that you would have made a quick and merciful kill was slim and not worth the risk of making an animal suffer. You done good.   :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Field points are for targets not critters. You made the right choice.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Someone told me there are two shots you regret:

Those you take and those you don't take. Stick with the latter and you'll sleep better.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
I feel better now...I just couldn't bring myself to shoot something with a field point.  I was practicing with my broadheads two nights before go figure.

He showed no fear of me at all...could have cared less that I was there.  I even yelled at him and he took 3 steps and stopped.

I can tell you one thing I'll have a broadhead/small game arrow around for sure from now on.

Will a G5 Small game head kill him?  Just wondering since they would fit nice in my pocket.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Use a broadhead. Coons are tough and can be big.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
lets not forget they are pointed on 5 out of 6 ends.  You don't want a pissed off wounded coon around.  Use a braod head.
got arrows?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
A broadhead through the lights is the only thing you should use on a coon.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
you made the right choice i reckon.

i always keep a broadhead on one of my arrows or in my quiver, iv missed to many opportunity's not having one when i need it.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline clear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Wise choice. Coons put the T in tough. A broadhead is the only way take that sucker out.I have shot my G5 SGH at other small critters and your better off with a sharp head(pass thru is better it getting stuck in it and taking off with your arrow).
its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
If you're in an urban area I'd refrain from shooting it with a bow at all.  Just think about the worse case scenario.  Archery goose hunters have been on the news in the past due to errant arrows.  

It would be a heck of alot less risky to use a cage trap and then once the raccoon is caught you can dispatch it.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Make sure the season is open too!

Your in Livonia; I don't know how it works there; but in Ann Arbor when I worked for the sheriffs department; two 'garbage men' got into trouble over a coon.

They were going to dump a dumpster in their truck; when they discovered a coon in it; and so they took a stick and clobbered it over the head; and one guy took it home to eat it.

But they were seen killing the coon.

They were convicted of killing a coon out of season and in the City limits- and got over a month in jail apiece; plus a big fine.

I met those guys and they were both nice guys; not 'criminals'; but it made the paper that way!

If that coon had taken off with an arrow sticking out of its head.. you would not have scored one for bowhunting. Use a broadhead; and make sure its legal season for coons. If its a green light for shooting it; I would put an open can of cat food: where things are to your advantage...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Good choice! I had a similar incident when I was a youngster that really had an impact about shooting at game, even small game with a field point. I vowed to never do it again!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I checked the regulations.

Per the regulations on Michigan DNR…looks like a no go.

Raccoon(Regular)    Oct. 1 -Jan. 31    With dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.

Raccoon(DamageControl)    July 15 -Sept. 30andFeb. 1 -March 31    Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.

I’ll be waiting for him this summer, looks like July 15th is the day I can get the little bugger.  I’ll have a big old 3 blade Snuffer waiting for him that is for sure.

You could tell he was a city coon because he had no fear of humans.  I'll have a big old 3 blade Snuffer or a Magnus Stinger waiting for him to make the mistake again starting July 15th.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©