3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HAND SHOCK  (Read 541 times)

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
HAND SHOCK
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
Please explain "hand shock". What is it by definition and what is it's cause. Thanks.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HAND SHOCK
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »
A varying degree of vibration in the hand to kick back.  Bad handshock can feel like holding a 2x4 in one hand and smacking it hard with a hammer with the other.   Or it can be severe kick back up the arm felt more in the elbow, neck and shoulder.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
Oh yeah causes.  Heavy limbs, (mass weight) bow design, brace height can effect its severity.  Low arrow weight.  Anything to have energy not transfered as efficiently to the arrow.

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
Bowdude,
 Thanks very much for the quick replies.
Years ago when I shot recurves and compounds with a high wrist and open bow hand I had to wear a strap to hold the bow or it would jump forward out of my hand. I guess this is a form of hand shock. I've never experienced it shooting with a low firm grip that I'm using now on longbows..

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
It's basically energy that's not transferred to the arrow--it has to go somewhere, so it resonates down the limbs to the riser.

Some bows mask it well with a heavy riser, some folks are much more sensitive to it than others.  I have a bit of arthritus in my bow arm elbow--some bows that tear up my elbow won't bother some some folks.

Another way to help reduce it is with a low stretch string material--my favorite being Dynaflight '97.  I have a selfbow I can't shoot much at all with a dacron string, but a Dynaflight string calms it down considerably.

Chad

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Use a bow that has it, and you will know it when ya feel it....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a Martin ML-10 that demonstrates it without any explination necessary.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
When your eyes go crossed and a new filling falls out----that's handshock ! Sorry , couldn't resist. I had one that nearly done that.No names mentioned.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Quint.. I believe if you shot your longbows open hand you would lose it to jumping forward just like the others.  That is a natural occurance from releaseing the arrow.  

Shock , to me, is more from the limbs vibrating so that you can feel it, often because they are so tip heavy compared to the riser, or due to design concerns.  Often because they are vibrating or hitting the end of their travel at differing times from each other  Tiller being off will also accentuate the shock you feel.  I believe that in almost all of the situations above, except off tiller, and maybe brace height, you can alleviate a lot of the shock by using heavier arrows, and sometimes by going to a stretchier (B50) string).  This is because a heavier arrow will transfer energy to the arrow, away from the vibrating limbs.  or something like that.
ChuckC

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
I had one of those, Flinttim.  I can't blame anyone but myself because I made it.  I wound up grinding the antler tip overlays waaaayyy down, narrowing the limbs some, and doing a little work on the grip area.  Tamed it down to where I am able to shoot more than a dozen shots at one session.  Learned a lot from that bow and the look on my cousin's face the first time he shot it was great.  I had seriously thought about naming it Molly after some of the cantankerous mules I've been around.

Dennis

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Yeah you kinda have to be the proverbial "Rocky" to shoot those things!  "After a while it starts to sting Adrian."

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
If you think an MA/SA widow looks clunky it definitely has a look that suggests no handshock

Heavy riser, light limbs
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
My kodiak magnum is horrible!!! Any easy cure like sims products ???
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
try a hill long bow then you will see hand shock first hand first one I tryed I was shocked how rude a bow could be
Gord

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I have several Hill bows that are as smooth as silk no shock at all.  I can tell if a bow has shock because it hurts my elbow. My Hills are smooth and my elbow thanks me for it......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
PS- If your shooting a Hill bow and are experiencing hand shock your doing something wrong.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I second what stabow said.  Shooting a recurve and longbow are worlds apart on grip.  Just like all bows are different and have there own temperment.  If having hand shock, ensure have slight bend in bow arm.  When I usually get a new bow, I stand close to the target and shoot with different grips to get a feel for the bow.  If you try different grips, arrows, anchor, release, and are still getting hand shock check tiller, might be problem with bow (not usual but have seen this on some selfbows).

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
Bending the arm allows for a shock absorber for sure.  But.. the shock is still there.  The fact you have to bend your arm proves it.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
Looking thru a 2 yr old Tradbowhunter mag I found an article from ashbel talking about ways to quiten and dampen a bow. I am going to try using some sims stuff on my rig as well as taking it to a shop next week some time
Is it deer season yet?

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
I had a heavy hill made in the early eighties that was painful to shoot.  The newer ones are much better shooters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©