3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HAND SHOCK  (Read 542 times)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HAND SHOCK
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Trying one Bow and then telling everyone that that type of Bow has hand shock is plain wrong....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
I have shot many Hill  Bows and have not found any that were without some hand shock the last one I shot was shot by many at Dart shoot last Jan and the comment that came from many that shot it said the same thing that they never shot a hill style bow that was without hand shock   :knothead:
Gord

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
hill like big arrows and the "shock" goes away
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
you are probably right I did not have any arrows heaver than 600gr with 700 to 800 gr arrows it probably would have had no hand shock   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
I have found that the Hill bows made in the last 10 or 12 years shoot with acceptably low hand shock with standard cedar shafts.  I do shoot with a bent bow arm, but that is part of the Hill form, I imagine if one shot with a locked out arm they would feel more than me, but that is not Hill form.  I think perhaps the bowyer who ever made the heavy bow for me was not Craig Ekin.  His bows have that cleaner look one would want in a Hill bow.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Don't blame the bow!  The first time I shot a Hill I hated it.  Thats because I didn't have a clue how to shoot it (lightbulb/newsflash...it ain't a recurve).  Once you learn how to grip it right its a beautiful bow to shoot...yes its lively but also very smooth, accurate and dead quiet.  I have two now (after stupidly selling a few others) and spend more time with my Hills than with my eight other bows...and that includes some of the more 'popular' makes (Shrews, Widows, Morrison, etc.).

Like the man said, if your Hill ain't shooting good for ya' then you ain't shooting it right.

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
TSP that is a good one, lively, I like that description. I to have several hill bows and agree that the suitcase grip serves you best and the heaviest arrow that still gives you decent trajectory to 30 yards is the way to go. My HH's are a lively bunch and fun too!
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
I shot a long bow this weekend (I won't say who's) at the Baltimore shoot and it nearly jarred my fillings out! It felt like I was holding a tuning fork that somebody it with a sledgehammer. Funny thing, after loosing and arrow the string was still vibrating about 5 seconds later!!! That is a lot of handshock and vibration. Way to much for me. Dang near made my hand numb. That's why I don't shoot many longbows.

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
All bows have hand shock.  Until someone makes a bow that's 100% efficient, they always will.  

Hand shock is the excess energy left in the bow limbs after the arrow clears the bow.  It has no where to go so it pushes the bow forward/vibrates, etc.  The heavier the bow riser, the more of that excess energy is absorbed.  That's one reason why most recurves have less hand shock than most longbows.  They're just physically heavier.  Another is the limb design.  

String type and arrow weight also influence hand shock as others have already pointed out.  Heavy arrows absorb more of the bow's energy, thus decreasing hand shock.  Fast flite strings, because they don't stretch as much as dacron, also reduce shock by dampening the limb vibrations more quickly, and in fact, reducing the modulation of the vibration.  (Sorry Chuck, you have it backward re fast flite/dacron)  

How tightly you grip the bow also influences perceived/felt hand shock.  If you grip the bow tightly, you feel it a lot more than if you grip it lightly.  

Finally, people have different sensitivities to/tolerance for hand shock.  I've shot a lot of different bows in the past 50 years, and except for one very old Martin ML 18 longbow with very whippy tips, I've never found hand shock bothersome in any of them, including Hills and other straight longbows.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Good post Orion. I would just add that you can tune alot of handshock out of a bow. Every bow has a sweet spot. Brace height, nock point, string silencers, string material and diameter, are all factors that can effect hand shock.

But for me, handshock and a "lively" feeling bow are two different things. Handshock is the vibration... energy not transfered to the arrow that is not evenly spent. It is all about limb design. I detest heavy risered bows because they feel dead to me. The true sign of a great bow is a lightweight, streamline bow that is fast and lively with NO vibration.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Orion     :thumbsup:  

Also, a tightly gripped bow that has a blocky, angular shaped handle area with semi-rounded corners as opposed to a more rounded grip and throat can exaggerate or focus the vibration at those corners and make it more noticeable.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I think that those of us that have Hill style bows with the slightly bent bow arm, develop a push and shock absorber timing when we shoot.  I have noticed that when compound shooters shoot my longbows, if they mange to get the shot off, the bow jumps to the right.  When I shoot or when I see experienced Hill shooters most of the time the bow hand moves forward and maybe a little left.  That is, the bow arm dispenses the left over energy.  I have had only one bow that did not happen for me naturally.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Just as bows are not all the same they also don't invite the same shooting approach.  Experienced shooters recognize that.  You can enjoy your Hill or (fill in the blank) longbow just as much as your Morrison or (fill in the blank) recurve.  You just need to accomodate the different characteristics of the bow.  One size (or grip method, or degree of cant, or ...) doesn't fit all.  Thats part of the fun.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Stumpthumper:  I agree that a lot of the unpleasant excess energy can be reduced with good tuning, etc.

Regarding shooting with a bent bow arm.  That's not just for Hill shooters.  Most trad folks put some bend in their arm, regardless of what they're shooting.  The straight, locked elbow bow arm (usually accompanied by a very upright stance) is a target style that isn't used much for hunting or hunting weight bows.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I have yet to shoot a Hill longbow (and I have owned dozens) that caused me any felt handshock.  Smoothest shooting longbows I have owned and I have stopped looking at other brands.  

One of the worst handshock longbows I have ever shot was supposed to be one the "latest and greatest" hybrids that are commanding big $$$ right now.  Better test drive before you pay.

dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©