3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting in the dark, or very low light  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting in the dark, or very low light
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2023, 03:42:48 PM »
I think shooting in the dark is a lot of fun, but it is very contradictory (mentally) to my shooting style.  One night (in 2015) I was fooling around and had my wife take a video of me trying it for the first time.  Not the best shooting in the world, but every arrow hit the target.  Not sure if I ever put this on TG before... ?

Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2023, 10:56:55 PM »
I find similar results when shooting in very low light/no light where the target is just a general direction.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2023, 02:38:16 AM »
So I have an interesting development. I recently purchased a new 56 in Cascade Whitetail hawk from Steve Gore.  All my life I have been a dedicated Black Widow shooter, and they serve me well. This is my first dedicated attempt with a short bow.  I practiced until I could shoot it okay, but went out grouse hunting and couldn't hit anything. I missed 5-6 grouse, some as close as 10 yards. It really hurt my confidence. Went out grouse hunting again yesterday morning, and threw  my Black Widow recurve in the  truck as well.  I didn't see any grouse, but stumbled across a bull moose at about 40 yards.  A legal bull, and I had a harvest ticket in my pocket, holy cow!!  . I grabbed the Black Widow and worked my way up towards it,, and could have taken a shot, but my confidence was so wrecked that I decided not to. After the moose ran away, I started stump shooting with the Widow, and hit every leaf, stump, and dirt clod that I shot at.  Clearly, I'm doing something with the shorter bow that wasn't working. So... In the context of this thread... I took the short bow out last night and did a lot of shooting in the dark. Strangely enough, I was able to walk around shooting an old coffee can from 15 to 30 yards with the short bow,  with no trouble hitting it.  Evidently, there is something about my concentration that is resolving itself when I shoot in the dark versus in the light. To be fair, the new short bow is only 50 lb, and my Widow recurve is about 65 lb, and it's what I have been shooting since January. So, there's a good chance I'm also overdrawing the short bow. But it is interesting that I was able to shoot it so well in the dark after a few days of shooting the same bow so terrible awful bad.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2023, 10:53:27 AM »
Confidence in your gear is a big deal!!!  My three main bows are 60" and 63-67#@27 3/8".   Pretty easy to jump from one to the next.  Have longer and shorter bows at slightly different weights, but not enough time to shoot them all.  Heavier bows will most likely see some hog hunting after deer season.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2023, 11:06:31 AM »
Confidence in your gear is a big deal!!!  My three main bows are 60" and 63-67#@27 3/8".   Pretty easy to jump from one to the next.  Have longer and shorter bows at slightly different weights, but not enough time to shoot them all.  Heavier bows will most likely see some hog hunting after deer season.

Absolutely! I've only had the new short bow for a month, and shot a couple hundred arrows through it by now.  I can switch between my BW longbow and recurve easy-peasy all day long, so expected the same with the new bow.  And in the dark, with no arrow to line up, and no arrow-tip in view, I shoot it just like the others.  Weird... this is new to me!  My best guess, early on, is that I'm over-thinking the new bow,.  It is so smooth that it is quite surprising, and in the newness of it, I haven't gotten familiar enough with it.  Shooting in the dark makes some of its distractions disappear, evidently.

Offline D Durham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2023, 01:09:08 PM »
Great thread!!!!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2023, 03:46:18 PM »
One last comment before I slink back into the shadows, as I don't want to hijack this thread...

After my aforementioned shamefully-bad shooting of late, I have been practicing routinely in the dark for the past few days.  Something has clicked, and the arrows are now going where they are supposed to, even in the daylight.  After last night's grouse hunt with my daughter, there is a grouse somewhere in the woods missing a chunk of feathers that my judo claimed at about 20 yards.  And this morning's hike down another grouse trail culminated with an unbelievable shot and first kill with my new bow. 

This shooting in the dark stuff has been a nice diversion and a good tool for sharpening up my shooting.

Offline Mike Malvaini

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2023, 01:13:14 PM »
Great stuff guys, absolutely great stuff.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »
Based on recent events, I am going to do something and have my wife film It this week.

I will also be posting on YouTube. So people can comment negatively that it's fake when in fact it won't pay I love it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©