Author Topic: Delam question  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
Delam question
« on: June 13, 2023, 10:28:22 PM »
I hope this is the right spot for this as I figured you gents would know best here. I’d like to preface this with I’m not here to throw anyone under the bus and I won’t disclose any info as I just don’t think it’s necessary..

Anyways, a little backstory. Bought a custom bow from a known bowyer in fall of 2021. I shot it for tail end of season then hung it up for the winter while I chased birds. Ended up with a should injury that kept me from shooting it until the last couple months so it was properly stored for almost a year. The bow has not been hit on anything and there are no scuffs/scratches around the area so I’m just thinking it’s a bad spot that I didn’t find sooner because I wasn’t shooting. It is about 3/4” from end of fade out on top of riser. Unfortunately, the bowyer has had some health issues and is no longer making bows….and I shoot this thing lights out… So I’m pleading…is there anything I can do proactively to stop/repair this issue?

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum, feel free to move as necessary.

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Delam question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 10:29:04 PM »
I guess it’s closer to the fade than I realized after double checking.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
I know you indicated that there's been no damaging event but it looks like a ding.  The pictures are a little fuzzy to tell.  Not sure what you can do.  Better pictures would help.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 10:55:58 PM »
Sorry, I can’t seem to get a more clear picture. It may look a bit fuzzy because when this first started, I tried getting some
Superglue on the edge thinking it would maybe seep in (I’m an idiot). I’ve maybe put 250-300 shots through it now since it popped up with no observable change.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 11:18:19 PM »
Reply #3
first pictures shows a sanded curve above and below the ding, like someone was trying to sand it out.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 11:24:59 PM »
Reply #3
first pictures shows a sanded curve above and below the ding, like someone was trying to sand it out.

Yes, this was my fear and kind of what I was thinking happened. Any way to fix or is it a ticking bomb?

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 12:27:23 AM »
Is it a recurve or a long bow?

That happens when it hits something hard like steel, in a small bow shop it is easy to bump them on the machines.
Don't ask how I know.
It should be ok but not sure :dunno:

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 12:29:27 AM »
Is it a recurve or a long bow?

Longbow with significant reflex/deflex

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 12:31:52 AM »
 :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »
I find it kind of strange that you did not notice it if that spot was there when you bought the bow. I’m with Max, looks like someone tried to sand it away.

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 08:34:47 AM »
I find it kind of strange that you did not notice it if that spot was there when you bought the bow. I’m with Max, looks like someone tried to sand it away.

I did notice the uneven sanding at first but the delam spot in question wasn’t there at the time.

A little more backstory as I do think it pertains to this issue: I think they either forgot about my order or the previously mentioned health issues started up after I had placed my order. I received my bow approximately 18 months after my order date when they said it would be more like 6-12. I have never heard a bad thing about these folks and when I simply reached out to inquire about my bow, they were quite short and borderline unpleasant. You could feel the tension in the correspondence and conversations we had. I could tell they seemed pretty stressed and when I saw the uneven sanding, I didn’t want to bring it up as it seemed petty at the time. When I received the bow a year and a half ago, the bowyers handwriting on it seemed very off and the email I received back from them yesterday confirmed my suspicion. Unfortunately, they said I must’ve hit the bow on something and more or less said this issue is my fault. I’m pretty sure this is one of his last bows he’s made and you can tell something is just off on it compared to his previous work.

Anyways, not here to complain about them. Just trying to show why I didn’t pursue some initially minor issues and now I’m paying for it I guess. Just hoping I can keep this issue from getting worse.

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 10:57:16 AM »
Is this on the back or belly side? I would try wicking some thin CA glue into that myself, but you said you tried that already. Usually that will close a crack like that right up, but it didn't on this one.

Mark

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 12:06:50 PM »
I'd say go ahead and shoot it and keep an eye on it.  I've dinged a couple like that and it didn't effect the limb.....so far! :pray:
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 02:17:27 PM »
Is this on the back or belly side? I would try wicking some thin CA glue into that myself, but you said you tried that already. Usually that will close a crack like that right up, but it didn't on this one.

Mark

This is on the back of the upper fade. I was considering trying to use a thin needle or similar to try and inject something into the space but I’m hesitant to disrupt any wood or glass fibers in that area.

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 06:25:56 PM »
I also agree with it being dinged during construction. it was definitely an "Aw Chit!" moment banging it on the band saw table or a steel edge of some machine..... That should have never gone out the door like that.....

The only option at this point is to sand the finish lightly on the edge until its to bare wood and glass, and use a thin super glue and let it set on the edge in a puddle... that thin stuff is like water, and can wick into a miniscule crack.... let it set awhile.... this may, or may not work. but worth a try....

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 09:09:55 AM »
X2 on what Kirk said may or may not work. And let the glue cure with no accelerator.
High on Archery.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 06:48:10 PM »
X2 on what Kirk said may or may not work. And let the glue cure with no accelerator.
OOPS
High on Archery.

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 10:09:14 PM »
Now that I think of it…. I’ve seem marks like that on dark veneers under clear glass before when I aired up a set of limbs, and had to let off the pressure to adjust them. I think it squeezed out the glue on the first air up, and sucked in a bit of air on the edge letting off the pressure…. It had no effect on strength, but looked bad. I had no luck trying to wick super glue in from the edge either….

Tomato stake limb….  So it may not be a ding after all.      Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Kindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas, it’s much appreciated. I think I’ll keep tabs on it and when I make my next bow and get the finish equipment out, I’ll maybe take a stab at getting some glue in there for peace of mind.

I shot my best 3D shoot I’ve ever shot this last weekend with this bow and am bummed that I could be on borrowed time with it. Again, I appreciate the input as it’s got me feeling at least a bit more positive about the situation.

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2023, 12:04:38 PM »
You may be just fine shooting it the way it is…, just keep an eye on it to see if it changes. Being right at the tip of the fades it’s going to get a lot of pressure on that point. If it’s going to blow, you’ll know soon enough.

If that starts opening up, or the light color in the glass gets larger. I would try the super glue infusion asap and discontinue shooting it.   Good luck… Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©