Author Topic: Super Grit - Super good people.  (Read 1194 times)

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Super Grit - Super good people.
« on: June 15, 2023, 11:11:19 AM »
I’ve been buying sand paper in many forms from Super grit for a lot of years now, and I had a rather strange occurrence happen. This last batch of 5”  Velcro backed sanding disks I bought was an off brand. Typically I get Mirka brand sent to me, and I always prefer the Zirconium.  This is what I received.

When I finally ran ou5 of the Mirka brand I broke open a  box of my new 80 grit and stuck one on the sander. It’s a random orbital Mirka that has a variable speed.
Well I didn’t get much sanding done at all before that disc came loose and took off like a frisbee across the shop….. So I grabbed a new disc and tried again….  Nope….this one wouldn’t stick to the backing plate either….  So I figured it must be time to change the backing plate. I always keep a new spare handy. Or try to anyway….

So with the brand new backing pad on I tried again and put a new disc on it. Same thing… wouldn’t stick. :dunno:   So I tried a few more, and realized it was the whole box that was funky…..

So I got a different box of 80 grit….. Same thing…. Funky Velcro… so I tried the 220 grit too…. Same thing. Little red flying saucers all over the shop… :o :o :banghead: :banghead:

This was kind of weird…. So I sent the folks at Super Grit an email regarding my flying saucer issues, and asked if could get some replacements, and They said they would get back to me soon….

About a week later I received 3 new boxes of sand paper, only this stuff had
“Rhino Grip” on the box… this is the stuff

https://www.smsdistributors.com/products/indasa-redline-rhynogrip-solid-sanding-discs-3-5-6-8-inch-hook-and-loop-abrasives

Not only was I very pleased with them replacing the the new paper, this stuff is outstanding sand paper…

Super Grit are super good folks…. Thought I’d share this with you….  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Grit - Super good people.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 11:27:17 AM »
Yup, good source.

I was an Ace/HD sand paper buyer cause, well, you know, it's just sandpaper, right?  NOT!  :)
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 02:57:12 PM »
Yes, :thumbsup: I found them years ago and I like them.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 10:40:10 PM »
I’ve been using the Velcro backed , or hook and loop if you prefer for many years on my palm sanders, and these Rhino Grip sanding discs they sent me as a replacement are incredible…. Never had discs hold this well on a sander before, and the paper holds up very well too….

I thought I’d do a follow up and give a good recommendation for these sanding discs. Never used better stuff.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 07:13:10 AM »
I've been buying from them for years.

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 10:51:39 AM »
I went ahead and followed the recommendation of Supergrit.  I'm not in the habit of buying from a specialized dealer of abrasives. So I truly didn't know what to expect. Went with the zirconia for durability and self sharpening(?). THIS STUFF IS AWESOME.  I've always been cautious of gritty abrasives but I am SCARED of these 2 inch spindle sleeves. And my drum sander as well as my edge sander also got upgrades.  At prices I didn't think twice about. 

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 01:03:58 PM »
I had to special order some 4.5" X 1.5"  36 grit sleeves for my spindle sander from these guys, and they gave me a good deal on a case of them... I know... i know... A case of 50 sleeves will last me for years.

But... When shaping risers by hand and using finer grit paper, it's damn tough on a spindle sander and it uses way too much paper and takes too long to shape the grip.  This 36 grit just takes the fight right out of it for shaping seriously dense hardwood and G-10 material.  Once its shaped close, i put a 50 grit sleeve on it to get rid of those 36 grit grooves.....  Once you've been introduced to Zirconium paper, its hard to go back... Great stuff!  It cleans up nicely with rubber block too.

Yup.... The 36 grit paper on a spindle sander isn't too bad, but using it on the high speed edge sander is scary. One slip and it's right to the bone... :o :o   I've got a couple flat knuckles over that stuff...  :biglaugh:   Be carefull....   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©