3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bareshaft Hitting left vs fletched  (Read 894 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Bareshaft Hitting left vs fletched
« on: June 17, 2023, 08:03:40 AM »
 I just got discouraged after hitting the cement foundation when I missed the target.  I don’t notice any arrow damage except a lost Nock.  I flexed shaft. Looked under the collar.   Seems ok.   Have many whacked their arrow like that and used them again?   

My question was, I seem to be hitting a few inches left with the bareshaft vs the fletched arrow. The half a dozen shots I fired using the fletched, seemed like they were good at 15 yards.  As good as my shooting. But the bareshaft is hitting 4 “ go the left. Maybe 5”

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bareshaft Hitting left vs fletched
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 08:38:34 AM »
Sounds like the arrows are a little stiff. Could be a form issue. Purposely over draw the bow and see how bareshaft hits. Honestly,  bareshaft shooting will drive you bonkers if your form is not consistent and rock solid
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 08:55:11 AM »
Yes. It could be form.  I really should look into it over several sessions. But I thought she I had shafts 1/4 longer, they were def nock left. I have a shaft 1/4” longer. Nick right. These seem to go straight. But inches to left.  Fletched seemed good. Sad part is it takes weeks for me to get anything ordered in. No shops around here. I have one shaft I’d 1/4” too short. This one I hit cement with. Leaves me 4.  I cut two the same length as this one. Two are full length. I haven’t much time. But if I figure it out, I’ll order another half dozen. Don’t take me long to build a set if I know the length

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 09:14:03 AM »
I assume that you're right handed?  You could add more point weight, and if your shaft is truly too stiff, that should straighten it out.  Then, if you really don't want the extra point weight, you can consider doing other things, but at least you'll know how things stand.

I think we all bash our arrows against things from time to time.  I just check them, as you mentioned, and go on shooting them.  You didn't mention testing alignment.  The impact may have bent the point or insert.  You can spin test the arrow to see if it is still in alignment, and replace the point and/or insert if they are bent.  Also, when the nock flies off, it could mean that there is a crack in the rear end of the shaft.  Inspect that carefully, because that can be dangerous.  If it is cracked, either discard the shaft or at least cut the cracked part out of the shaft.  In your case, you should probably discard the shaft if it has a crack, because you think it is too stiff and you wouldn't want it any shorter.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 01:13:19 PM »
I didn’t bring the bareshaft with me. Tried the fletched shaft 20 minutes away from arrow stuff.    Fletched arrow is averaging impact about 6” left at 20 yards.  It flies nice in slow motion.  But pretty consistent to the left.  I may fletch one and  cut him 1/4” longer. You think that will make a difference?   By time I feel like it’s hitting where I’m aiming I’ll have all arrows sawed up.  Like to get it to fly nice like it is, but impact to the right 6”.   I’ll order more, they will be here before I get back in a months time.  If I remember, ( should be writing it down). The arrow was tail left until I cut that last quarter inch.  But I didn’t have vanes glued on wrap. Just the plain wrap.  You think feathers could make a different like that.  I do have some heavier tips kit.   Maybe I’ll try a heavier tip just to see. But I wanted to keep with the 125 gr as the judos come in that weight and I can use them interchangeably.

In your experience, at an impact of 6” left. How much tip weight to add or length would make that much difference? I’m right handed.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 02:22:38 PM »
In your experience, at an impact of 6” left. How much tip weight to add or length would make that much difference? I’m right handed.

If you're currently using 125 grain tips, it should be pretty easy.  Just try 145 grain tips and you should notice a difference.  If you really don't want to shoot 145 grain tips, leaving your next batch of arrows 1/4” longer should make about the same difference
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 02:26:35 PM »
Thanks. I have 2 or three left. I might cut 1/4” and try that. Once I get it down right I can make up a batch next time home. Making the arrows don’t take too long it’s finding the right length.

You wouldnt think 1/4” would make much difference if you didn’t know any better.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
In my experience, if anything, a 1/4” longer carbon shaft will make more difference than going from 125-145 grain points.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 02:44:41 PM »
Interested to see if it moves over

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 03:33:09 PM »
I recommend that you compensate for the weight of the fletching with wraps of tape in the area where the fletching would go.  Usually about 15 grains.  Otherwise it is like shooting two different weight tips.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 03:48:57 PM »
Yes. I would put the wrap on. But not account for the weight of the fletching. I heard everyone doing it. I just didn’t think it would make that much difference. Maybe I should have. They’re big fletches too. 5” pope and young

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©