3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Been thinking... About "re-thinking" it.....  (Read 2004 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Been thinking... About "re-thinking" it.....
« on: June 22, 2023, 04:10:46 PM »
I've been here since 2004. I've been very active at times... "Gone" at others...
As I have posted many times over the years... TradGang is a FAMILY...
Sooner or later, they all come back "home" to the campfire.

I feel at this time, that I need to share something with my family....

In June of 1995, just a few days before Father's Day, I sustained a traumatic brain injury.
While working undernieth a train, I hit the trolley lead taking the 3rd rail currant to the traction motor with my head.
660 Volts went in the top of my head, and exited both of my arms. I was checked from "head" to toe (mainly my feet) looking for exit burns, and the Doctors conclusion was, that the currant entered one arm, across my chest, exiting my other arm. After being released from intensive care, I asked my wife (now ex-wife) if she had a hair brush.
While brushing my long hair (i.e. ponytail lol) I had a sharp pain on the top of my head??
My ex-wife looked at it, and told me that I had a burn the size of a quarter, right smack in the center of my melon!!
It then became clear, that the currant had entered my head, and exited both of my arms.

2 years out of work, and numerous neuroaligical exams, EMGs and a SPEC scan of my brain, the Neurologist concluded that I had nerve damage in both of my arms and hands, and my brain was covered with scar tissue.
To quote him exactly "It's like you fired a bullet into a concrete box, and it just bounced around in there"

Over the years, I have developed tremors in my hands, mainly my right hand. About 15 years ago, I made an appointment with the same Neurologist, for a follow-up and discuss the tremors. He ran the same tests that he did years before, and compaired the results....
He told me "I told you before, that things are not going to get better, and they are probably going to get worse. Well, they are" The last several years, they have progressed very rapidly, to the point where it is very difficult to do anything with my right hand... The tremors and shaking, seem very similar to Parkinson's Disease.

I thank the Good Lord each and every morning, and every night, for another blessed day on this Earth!!!
I look at everything as a challenge, and do my best to overcome them. When things get bad? I just smile and tell myself that I should be taking a dirt nap right now!! LMAO :readit:

I have been shooting bows and arrows since I could walk, and bowhunted since 1976. I started with an old Bear recurve and cedar arrows, and still use them to this day!!! Last summer, I shot every day!! It was so nice to be able to shoot more than 10 yards lol. I put a block target out in the yard, and shot anywhere from 5ft to 50yds.
It was GREAT!!! But, I noticed something....

At times... The fingers of my string hand "lock up"
For years... I would draw a breath as I drew my bow, hold it while I picked a spot, then just relax my fingers as I exhaled... My entire life, I had a perfectly smooth, consistent release..... Not anymore!!
I would put arrow, after arrow, in the center of the target, Only to have my fingers "lock" forcing me to "try" to release, and always resulting in a "flyer".... As the summer progressed, things didn't get better. They didn't get worse!!!
Just enough to shake my confidence to take a shot at a deer....
I hunted almost every day last season. I loved every minute!!!
I had a few shot opportunities, But I never drew my bow.

I have always called myself a "2 Season Hunter" after the Bear Archery advertisement.
Now I'm starting to re-think things.... I'm a Hunter!!! I've been a hunter my entire life!!!
When I was a kid, I was constantly in the woods... With a bow, or a gun, it didn't matter!!
Big Game, or Small Game, it didn't matter!! Fur or Feathers... It didn't matter!!!
What did matter...?? That I was HUNTING!!! Maybe it's time to "re-think" things....

I have a collection of old Bear recurves... Old classic shotguns.... Classic Deer Rifles... Old Orvis fly rods....

Maybe it's time to just enjoy life?? Just enjoy each day afield.... To just be a hunter...

Maybe it's time to just be a kid again...??

Thanks for listening!!!! :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Been thinking... About "re-thinking" it.....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »
Nothing wrong with taking one of those shotguns or rifles out for a spin if that's what you're thinking...or just go fishing.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 05:29:17 PM »
"Maybe it's time to just enjoy life?? Just enjoy each day afield.... To just be a hunter..."  Nothing wrong with doing what brings you enjoyment.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 05:59:42 PM »
   amen  bro      :pray:    one day at a time     :archer2:   
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 07:56:37 PM »
Get out there and enjoy.   :archer: :campfire:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 08:09:55 PM »
All of us are going to hit a day when we can’t do this anymore. Most of us dread that day and don’t know how we will handle it. I say you are right!!! Go out and do what you can do, and what you can have fun doing. There will come a day when you (and me and everyone else) won’t be able to do any of it anymore!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 09:26:27 PM »
Did anything and everything within your capabilities.  Hunt hard!!!  Bisch is spot on.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 10:33:49 PM »
There will come a time when we can’t do this anymore. One of the cruelest truths is that nobody can tell you when that day will be. Don’t wait for tomorrow. Do what you feel is right while you can.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 03:00:30 AM »
May God Bless you, and I hope you do anything you want to.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
Brother I’m sorry for your issues and am glad you can stay positive. Awesome. 
I’ve said this before but maybe it bears mentioning again just to add some personal insight.
6 years ago yesterday I underwent brain surgery for a tumor 4.6 cm.
Took 2 neurologists to perform surgery and they weren’t sure I’d make it.
This is your story not mine but I lost hearing in one ear, most sight in dominant eye. Had to learn walking, talking, even simple swallowing again.
6 years later I still have numbness in my tricep, down one leg to my foot, on my face on anchor side, balance and dexterity issues. Man who cares right? We get to be involved in what we love.
Listen I can’t tell direction by sound or see to my right. Makes hunting super challenging. Imagine a bird gobbling, deer steps approaching or hounds chasing something and I don’t even know where to look?
One thing I’ve done is learn to just hunt again. I’m not as fussy and just enjoy the walk in, the stars as I look up through frosty breath, bet you’ve all done that, the sunrises, etc
I’ve always mentored pretty heavily and the excitement to helping a new hunter to a successful hunt is super awesome. Lately it might be more necessary Actually takes my mind a break. Imagine the bird gobbling and the kid is looking down yonder, I look at him/her and know which way to look too.
Anyhow I commonly film these hunts as a momento for the kid. These could be some things you might consider.
If you ever need someone to talk to I’m always available.
God bless you buddy
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 09:55:06 AM »
God bless you Woodchuck and great post I truly admire each and everyone one of you that fight to stay in the woods doing what we love and the Good Lord has blessed us with. I have seen a lot of folks give up and sit at home.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »
Do what you enjoy and have the most fun with your capabilities  :archer2:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 10:46:47 AM »
Woodchucker....I have been a traditional bowhunter all of my life. My Dad handed me a York green glass static recurve when I was 5. Longbows and recurves have been my main focus ever since.

That said....I have never been shy about doing it ALL. I hunt with rifles, shotguns, and flintlocks. I compete with AR's, shotguns and pistols. I fish most days in the summer. I trap when I get the urge. DO IT ALL!

Ron LaClair was a great friend and mentor to me. We talked almost every day, and spent a ton of time together. It might be interesting to some to find out what we discussed and shared most was HANDGUNS.....not longbows.

Enjoy life. Enjoy it all. We are all here for a short time......make the most of it.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 11:33:47 AM »
You have the right attitude Chuck!  Just enjoy life and use what you got!  As far as fingers locking up with your bow, have you ever tried a release?  It might be worth a try!  Good luck to you sir! :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 06:04:14 PM »
Many thanks to all, Brothers!!

I really mean't to write this as an opoligy I guess? I grew up with a bow in my hands. Started bow hunting as soon as I was legal. Killed deer my first 2 years bow hunting... (Missed out on gun hunting both years. 1 tag a year)
It always just came naturally to me?? Pull it back, let it go, hit the target...

At times over the years, I've been "opinionated" (to put it nicely)
I never really played with my gear. I just used what worked. Folks would be asking questions about trying or changing things, or messing with their arrows... I'd usually post something smart assed :readit:
They were struggling... I was ignorant. NOW, I get it!!!! I'm SORRY!!!!

Now, I've learned to count my blessings... I am truly blessed!!!!
I have 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 hands, and 2 feet. Who cares if my 2 hands just can't seem to git it together?? :banghead:
Think of all the kids who came home from the war without them!!!!

I've learned to laugh at myself... You want to see something REALLY comical!!??
Just watch me trying to tie a fish hook on!!!

I will keep shooting my bows and arrows until the day I die...
Who cares if I have a flier now and then!!?? I always joked around, "I couldn't hit water, if I fell out of a boat"
I'll probably even go hunting... Of coarse that slammer buck will never give me a clean shot!! :dunno:

I miss just hunting... I dug out my old bird vest, and realized it's over 25yrs old!!!
Last time I wore it was at the TradGang JLMBH in 2008??

Yup!!! It's time to count my blessings, and enjoy the days....

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 12:16:08 AM »
Just sent you a private message with an idea.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 12:54:19 AM »
Man, I hate to think about the day I can’t shoot an arrow.

Are there more important things in my life? Absolutely. My God, my family for instance. Almost every year I tell my wife that I don’t much care what we do all year, but don’t schedule anything in October and early November. And every year something comes up in October, mostly with my grandkids these days, that I don’t want to miss.

I have come to realize that I am blessed just to be alive after surviving three blockages in my hearts arteries a couple years ago. My widow-maker was 100%  blocked, and two more were 90% and 80% blocked. My surgeon said he would guarantee me another ten years if I had the bypasses. We will see about that, but the point is eternity is just around the corner.

I really like fly fishing for sunfish. I really like walking in the woods,
in the fall with my lovely English double looking for ruffed grouse. And I get to do those things a few times a year.

Only thing I’ve given up that I really enjoyed so far is riding my Harley Road King.

But I really, really love taking one of my bows out for the day. I know it will come to an end one day,  but until it does I’ll enjoy the day that God has given me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2023, 10:56:46 AM »
Thank you all, for your replies!!!

This old woodchucker is FAR from done chucking wood!!!! Probably just hunting...
I guess I could always stump hunt?? Who  cares if I miss!!?? Stumps don't bleed  :archer:

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 06:19:53 PM »
After thinking about everything you said, it is obvious you get it. God bless.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2023, 12:49:08 AM »
After thinking about everything you said, it is obvious you get it. God bless.

+1
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©