Author Topic: Greying under clear glass?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
Greying under clear glass?
« on: June 22, 2023, 08:38:59 PM »
Pics I did the best I could, but can anyone possibly identify what’s happening here?

Limbs are clear bearpaw glass belly and back over these veneers. On the belly of the top I’m getting these odd grey marks under the glass. They have slowly appeared more as I’ve shot the limbs. Is this limb delaminating?

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greying under clear glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 08:50:08 PM »
Better pic

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
Not sure , only looked at these on my fone.

Curious, did you wipe stuff with acetone?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 09:52:03 PM »
I did wipe with acetone prior to glue up, yes. Thanks Kenny.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 07:33:53 AM »
I can't tell much on computer pic either, sorry. It doesn't look good to me tho.

If mine I'd shoot it til it gets worse and hang it up.

I blew one up doing that and that isn't fun!

Acetone is used to remove CA and will take nail polish off so I don't ever wipe stuff with it.  I know lots of folks do...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 11:15:56 AM »
I don’t wipe anything anymore unless it visually has something on it. When I get it from Kenny I try to keep it in a clean area sealed up. When I use it I hit it with a stiff bristled scrub brush and vacuum it off with the bristle attachment. Always been afraid of leaving material from the rag behind under clear glass and regretting it later.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 06:10:37 PM »
This happens quite often with clear glass over dark veneers. Not so much with light colors.... Well its happening , but you cant see it as well.....gordons glass does it too... sometimes you'll see tiny stress cracks as well as cloudy spots, or streaks. Its purely cosmetic, and nothing you can do about it...

I do not warranty clear glass "To be clear" . there is no control for it... Some come out good and never have an issue. others it takes a year or two to develop. and some come out of the form with streaks.... Nature of the beast....  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »
Thanks Kirk. That was my suspicion is that I’ve just used such a dark veneer that it’s showing easily. I’ve looked very very closely and can’t see signs of delaminating other than the cloudiness. So that’s where my thoughts led. Appreciate the feedback fellas.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk. That was my suspicion is that I’ve just used such a dark veneer that it’s showing easily. I’ve looked very very closely and can’t see signs of delaminating other than the cloudiness. So that’s where my thoughts led. Appreciate the feedback fellas.

No worries bro.... I've done a bunch of black walnut limbs over the years, and some have been real heart breakers seeing every imperfection in the glass. But others came out perfectly clear, and stayed that way for years... Never know.... So i just give all my customers a heads up when asking for clear glass over dark veneers, that you get what you get on this clear glass. No do overs...    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 03:59:38 PM »
I always wipe my composites with acetone but NOT any wood. And yeah looks like streaky glass to me.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 08:46:06 AM »
I always wipe my composites with acetone but NOT any wood. And yeah looks like streaky glass to me.

2 x … the acetone removes any oils that can be transferred to glass or carbon composites just by handling them. Good insurance.   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »
Crooked Stic and Kirk, I think I can figure out why but could you clarify why you would wipe other materials but not the wood.  Porous and off gassing?

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 02:50:01 PM »
The glass is not porous and the acetone evaporates off. The wood being porous acetone will soak in it. And most times just legs more oil wick out. Acetone and glue don't mix for better adhesion. So don't change it. If you think your oily or any other wood for that matter did not glue good chances are it was still a bit green.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 09:35:11 PM »
The glass is not porous and the acetone evaporates off. The wood being porous acetone will soak in it. And most times just legs more oil wick out. Acetone and glue don't mix for better adhesion. So don't change it. If you think your oily or any other wood for that matter did not glue good chances are it was still a bit green.

2X  on Stic's post.... You will hear about guys using acetone on Teak, or Bocote, or other oily woods now and then, but you wont ever here it from the pros... Best bet is to freshly sand oily wood and glue it up the same day, and never use solvents on wood.   Checking MC levels on riser wood is good to do, as well as freshly ripped lams. You are usually safe with anything less than 12% MC , but 9-10% is prefered. especially building in a high humidity climate and shipping to a dry one.... All my wood stays at 12% in winter in the shop and typically drops to 10% in the summer. in Oregon. I do not have a climate controlled storage room.

What i do is build my risers ahead of time and put them in my spray booth that i keep heated in winter. Keeps them from soaking up moisture. I store my lams in stacks of 20 and freshly grind each lay up as i build the bows.     .02 cents
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2023, 11:51:03 AM »
Wash everything in acetone wood and glass it doesnt bring up the oil it washes it off bringing up the oil is something Adcock said once everybody believed him instead doing their own experiments  . Use a clean cotton cloth like old bed sheets you will see on the rag what you thought was clean is not .  Ive said this before the difference between using acetone and not using it is the difference between a clean glue up and a dirty one .

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2023, 12:35:23 PM »
Wash everything in acetone wood and glass it doesnt bring up the oil it washes it off bringing up the oil is something Adcock said once everybody believed him instead doing their own experiments  . Use a clean cotton cloth like old bed sheets you will see on the rag what you thought was clean is not .  Ive said this before the difference between using acetone and not using it is the difference between a clean glue up and a dirty one .

Well good luck with that theory. I think you will find you are in a very low percentage of bowyers that think this way. I don't care how many times you say it..... It's an opinion not based on fact. I've been doing "Dirty" layups for many years i guess. :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2023, 06:20:39 PM »
Cocobolo, 2nd one from the left (Orange color) I wiped this one about 10 times with acetone and it still colors the rag.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2023, 06:32:16 PM »
Mad Max sweet veneers dude! What types of wood are you working with there and how oily are they?

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2023, 08:03:19 PM »
These are Cocobolo and Bocote ---same as the other picture

Bocote want's fresh sand paper or it will gum up the paper, I use 60 grit
Cocobolo is not so bad on sand paper.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2023, 08:06:51 PM »
Cocobolo, 2nd one from the left (Orange color) I wiped this one about 10 times with acetone and it still colors the rag.

Yup... and every time you wipe it will still has a thin layer of oil coming up.... Just grind it and glue it bro.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©