3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SIMPLE & CHEAP TARGET!  (Read 326 times)

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
SIMPLE & CHEAP TARGET!
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I've been shooting wheelies for about 30 years and have finally decided to go simple and try Traditional bows.

Because I use to shoot my wheelie at work and didn't want to buy an extra target or bring mine from home I decided to build one.
I started with a large,thick cardboard box and fill it with shrink wrap plastic. The kind that companies wrap pallets when shipping stuff by trucks.
I put as much as I could get the box and seal it up with tape. Not only does it stop an arrow but is light as well and disposable.
I've shoot 65# wheelies at it and the arrows will not go thru. Once the box is shot up on one side I turn it and start on another side. Once the box is shot up I just get a new one. No cost involved and it works GREAT!

I just started to shoot my Old BEAR Polar recurve at one and it REALLY works good on it as is slower that my wheelies.

HAPPY HUNTING
DAVID
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SIMPLE & CHEAP TARGET!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
I just did the same thing about 2 weeks ago.  So far, it's holding up very well and I think it will probably last longer than a store bought target that you have to throw away when you've worn it out.  Stop spending money and just shoot!
Hill

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I get a lot of shrink wrap and build them also just don't let the rain catch them.Kip

Offline archenemy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
When you shoot that box up just put it inside another box and keep shootin.
I am my own worst enemy!!!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
did similar but I built a 4'x4'x2' plywood box on wheels, open front and laced the front with rope, then stuffed the stuff in and hung a carpet on the front to hold the target.   Top is hinged and whenever necessary, I can reach in and shift the stuffing or add more.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Stuff a feed bag, the plastic burlap kind, with shrink wrap and/or more bags and you have a great target. The woven bag material lets the arrow slip in with minimal damage to the bag.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
A plastic or burlap feedbag stuffed with old plastic grocery bags works good, too, and is pretty quiet compared to a box.  Its dead quiet if you stuff it with old clothes...but heavy.

Throw the bag out on the lawn or in the woods and it can be shot from any angle, or hang it between limbs or poles for a simulated 'lung shot' profile.  Can even draw the 'leg pocket' on to help pick a spot.  Lasts a long time, slide another bag over it when shot out.  

Have to stuff the feedbag tight and it takes alot of plastic bags (or plastic wrap), but what better way to recyle those otherwise useless mounds of grocery bags you get each month?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©