INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Serial numbers on vintage bows.  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Scubadogs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Always walk tall and shoot straight!
Serial numbers on vintage bows.
« on: June 30, 2023, 01:28:02 PM »
Since there was no standardization across the industry during the early years and I don’t think there is one in place now. Each archery company had its own unique approach to serial numbering.  Some did not have any, some had their internal company’s code, some were just random. Shakespeare used a specific coding system for their serial numbers and the code is to be believed broken. The serial numbers typically consisted of a letter followed by a set of numbers then a letter(maybe).  First letter is the Month( A through M,  I after 1962).  Next number is the year by decade. Then a production number followed maybe by a model code letter.
Bear Archery between 1965 to 1969 the first digit(5-9) was the year of the bow and the K first digit started in the 1970’s. Browning I was told used a number for year of production. 
The other issue I have crossed is these serial number were not all production printed but hand written on the bow by different people with different writing styles.

I like to know what maybe you have found out when researching a vintage bow regarding the serial numbers and I also could use some help.
Attached is a picture of a Shakespeare 1964 X-17.  I can’t figure out the first letter in the serial number. My family is fighting over if it is a K or a H and one said it is an N but they did not make an N.   I know it just the month ( A through M,  I after 1962) but what do you think it is??

Always walk tall and shoot straight

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serial numbers on vintage bows.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
M no doubt.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Scubadogs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Always walk tall and shoot straight!
Re: Serial numbers on vintage bows.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 09:36:20 AM »
the letter M it is.  Thanks i have had a lot of feedback and the view is the letter M.  Then this is my Xmas bow. :clapper:
Always walk tall and shoot straight

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©