3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crack on limb?  (Read 288 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Crack on limb?
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
I have a wood laminated bow that has a small crack on the edge of the bottom limb.It is just in the thin belly lam and is about 1/4" long.I heard it pop the first time I shot the bow.I have tried putting a little superglue in it but think it still moves a bit.What would be a fix for this?I have shot the bow a couple hundred times or more so it might be fine like it is but I know it is there so it bothers me.   :(   I thought about just fileing out the crack with a noc file and filling it with epoxy but have no idea if that would be any better. lol
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crack on limb?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Jim,
Try some super thin superglue, it should suck into the crack. If it doesn't drill a small hole though the glass and try the thin again. If that don't work fill the hole and paint both limbs in that area black, and it will never be a problem again.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Bob I thought about drilling some tiny holes like you suggested after I posted this.There is no glass on this bow however.It is a 4 lam bow with bamboo as the back lam so we are talking a very thin belly lam less than 1/8" thick.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
James,

Sounds like a compression fracture on the belly lam.  I found that if I get them too thin that happens.  I would just shoot it and keep an eye on the area.  If it starts growing you might want to plan another bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
It was a tiny knot right on the edge.I drilled it and soaked it in super glue and filled the holes with epoxy.Looks like bore holes in the limb now and you have to search to find them.Will see what happens.

Yeah Mike I wanted to keep it a little thicker but my guess work was off some.  :D  I have got plenty others if it goes south.I have been busy building things lately so have some surplus to fall back on if needed.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©