3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Remember the Morrison Longbows?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Remember the Morrison Longbows?
« on: July 06, 2023, 05:08:01 PM »
You know, the Morrison Cougar and Dakota? 

I recommended them a lot back when Bob was cranking them out. I killed a lot of stuff with mine.

Just another great bow of history off the market....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bobby Sikes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remember the Morrison Longbows?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:48:26 PM »
Yes, those were great longbows. I shot them both years ago at Cloverdale.

He also had 2 great recurves back then, the Shawnee and Cheyenne.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 05:50:41 PM »
Yep all ILF stuff now.

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 06:41:25 PM »
Sure do. And those beautiful pinecones carved on the handle!  Beautiful bows! Back when I remember people talked about his carbon foam limbs.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 07:18:06 PM »
YES, the Pinecones!!! they were a bit harsh for the 1st month or two(almost like a real pine cone)... then they settled down a bit. 

I never had a foam core from Bob or anyone....  but not sure I missed out on anything.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 07:19:04 PM »
Back when I was looking for a D/R longbow, I called him and we talked, he sent me his back-up bow.  He just needed it back when I was done testing it out.  I also was looking at Massey longhorn and Thunderstick.  They were all super and comparable in performance and fit.  It came down to price and Jim Reynolds, TS III won out.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:57:19 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »
Yep.  I owned a couple of Dakotas until they got too heavy for me.  Still have a Bob made Shawnee with light longbow limbs. 

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 09:56:00 PM »
I had one of his TD recurves back in the day. Don’t know why I sold it it was a great shooting bow. Often look at the classifieds to see if one in my weight range pops up.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 10:50:57 PM »
yaa at the time he came out with the Dakota and Cougar they were pretty unique bows in the more radical reflex/deflex catagory.Bob had an interview done with Traditional Bowhunter Magazine where they discussed his creations years back.It was a good read.

I had quite a few of his bows.A Dakota 2 piece was my 1st one.Excellant performer.His 3 piece Shawnee was a great bow with his Dakota style limb and also recurve limbs.Thay has a striaghter riser that well with his R&D longbow limbs.

The Cheyenne was also nice with the more deflexed riser.It had mostly recurve limbs.But he did  develop a longbow limb that he custom designed to work well on the deflexed riser.I had one of those and it did have the foam/carbon limbs.I shot a nice buck with that one.

His one piece recurve was nice.Dont see many of those around

He even built the ACS limb for awhile.

Superb Bowyer and pleasant to do business with.I would like to see some of those original models come back personally.

Sure,those pinecone grips were nice.Better yet.The double pinecone grip.Had those on one of my Shawnee B risers.That was one of the most beautiful risers I ever had.Double footed with narly Osage and a fine piece of Coco Bolo.I miss that one!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 07:29:43 AM »
Bob made some of the best looking and shooting bows back then and they sold second end almost like news. I don’t understand why suddenly people lost interest in them. Market is crazy. I had a Shawnee with 2 set of recurve limbs, I guess that  that riser was better designed for longbow limbs
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »
YES, the Pinecones!!! they were a bit harsh for the 1st month or two(almost like a real pine cone)... then they settled down a bit. 

I never had a foam core from Bob or anyone....  but not sure I missed out on anything.

Regarding the foam cores ........ no Terry,  you didn't miss out on a thing.  I've had foam cores, never got the hype.  Just my personal opinion.   Bamboo is all I need. Heck maple's just fine too.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
I had a Shawnee with 2 set of recurve limbs, I guess that  that riser was better designed for longbow limbs

I'm not so sure about that.... My Shawnee had recurve limbs and a friend of mine named it for me.  He named her 'Zip Code'.  I ask him why and his reply was "Because, if anything you shoot with her is in the same zip code, its dead".  :biglaugh:

Man, those bows sure hold a lot of memories for me.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 10:30:55 AM »
Through a complicated series of events that I don't want to go into right now, I started out with a Shawnee longbow about 20 years ago, which I eventually traded for something else.  Recently, I ended up with the riser from that same longbow.  If Bob were still in business and still making Shawnees, I would just ask him to make me a new set of limbs for it, but that's not possible.  I knew it wasn't possible when I got the riser back, but the Shawnee held good memories for me, and the orphan riser was free, so why not?  One of these days I may find someone who has an extra set of Shawnee limbs in a draw weight that works for me, but I’m not holding my breath.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 12:11:09 PM »
I talked with Bob about the time he was transitioning the business to a new owner.  Don't know if it's the person who is owns the business now.  Regardless, Bob said the new owner would probably make a set of Shawnee longbow limbs for me if asked.  I never did, but I expect he still has the forms.  Who knows.  Might pay to ask.

Regarding the carbon/foam limbs.  My longbow limbs are carbon/foam.  I don't have a chronograph so don't know if they're faster than bamboo/glass, but they're very quick.   I've also owned and liked the bamboo/glass limbs.  Just got too heavy for me. 

As has already been pointed out, Bob also made recurve limbs for the Shawnee riser.  IMO, the limb pad angle was a bit shallow/acute for the recurve limbs.  They shot fine, but the longbow limbs perform better on that riser.     

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2023, 12:38:38 PM »
I still have at least a dozen of his bows...been reducing them to my current weight of 38-36#@28. They are Still my favorite bow along with Toelkes...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 01:25:19 PM »
Had some great experiences with Bob's bows, I always felt he made a pretty bow that shot pretty damn good. At one point I had a pair of limbs he had made for Paul Brunner. Unfortunately those bows went into other hands as I was bit by the bow trading frenzy is search of the Holy Grail bow. Haven't found it yet but I'm real close lol

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
“Regardless, Bob said the new owner would probably make a set of Shawnee longbow limbs for me if asked.  I never did, but I expect he still has the forms.  Who knows.  Might pay to ask.”

Actually, I asked before I got the old riser back, because if it was possible, I wanted the guy who owned the riser to know before he just gave me back the old riser as a present. But when I asked, the new owner told me that it wasn’t possible. Whether that really meant it wasn’t possible, or just that he wasn’t interested in doing it, I don’t know.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2023, 12:11:17 AM »
I had a Shawnee with 2 set of recurve limbs, I guess that  that riser was better designed for longbow limbs

I'm not so sure about that.... My Shawnee had recurve limbs and a friend of mine named it for me.  He named her 'Zip Code'.  I ask him why and his reply was "Because, if anything you shoot with her is in the same zip code, its dead".  :biglaugh:

Man, those bows sure hold a lot of memories for me.

Terry, I have that bow. I would sell it back to you as I’m looking to thin out some bows.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2023, 12:54:43 AM »
Shot a few and loved them. Loved the grip carving of the pinecone too.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2023, 01:35:08 PM »
I had a Dakota for about a year that I received in a give-away here when I first joined Tradgang.  It was a nice bow, pretty fast it seemed, with rattlesnake backing.  It developed a "tick" and I couldn't find anything so I figured it was the string loop wax sticking.  Then one night, it blew up in my hand at about half draw.  It separated at the handle where the limb laminations butted against each other, under the decorative overlay.  I emailed them asking if they'd like the remains to investigate the failure but no response.  I later heard from another bowyer that some Morrison bows were having problems with the epoxy.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©