3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Total arrow weight for 47-53# bows  (Read 3376 times)

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Total arrow weight for 47-53# bows
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
Three bows from 45 to 50 lbs.  All are tuned to shoot the same 520 grain arrow.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2023, 09:09:56 PM »
Quite comfortable shooting a 635 gn arrow with 400 gns up front out of a 48@28 bow....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 07:45:08 AM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2023, 04:53:22 AM »
Between 9-11gns per pound has always worked for me
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2023, 10:32:42 AM »
Very curious of what y'alls hunting arrows weigh for bows around 47-53#. Wood, aluminum, or carbon.
Squeeze, what do YOUR arrows weigh?  I'll go and say that what you will find regardless of arrow material,  is most people are going to be in the 10 to 12 grains per pound for HUNTING 99% of game animals.  That would be a solid average weight range.  Now of course,  some will go lighter.....some will be heavier. For whatever reasons for that being on what I would call a more extreme side for weight,  that's their monkeys their circus and if it works for them,  well that's it.  There would be more concern for things I'd say as you creep towards the lighter side.  Lots of bowyers might tell ya to NOT shoot under a certain weight for safety reasons and the construction of the bow.  Super heavy arrows for thin skinned game like deer?,  well the verdict is out on that so ........ I bet if you are in the realm of 10 to 12 gpp on your hunting arrows that you'll be a happy person when your shot placement is correct and you'll like to watch your arrows fly when you are just getting some fun shooting in as you will hold a very sufficient trajectory,  not bogged down by an over the top heavy arrow.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2023, 12:12:42 PM »
Never shot over 50lbs my arrows carbon 520gr I switched to wood and 560gr I am tinkering with some Aluminum that are 502gr. I have always shot a 2 blade broadheads.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2023, 04:04:23 PM »
IMHO, what matters most is a sharp c-o-c broadhead AND consistent accuracy whilst on the hunt.

The ability to consistently deliver a lethal blade in the right spot, with "hunt shooting form" and not "target archery shooting form", makes for good kills.  Knowing your maximum consistent hit range is also important.  This is where heavier arrows will have increased arcs that might mean 10-17 yards is almost a gimme while 20 yards and beyond might be a "hail Mary".  The important part of this equation is you, the bowhunter, and how effective you are with controlling bow holding weights.  This can only be discovered by practice hunting.

Arrow weight is important.  The rule of thumb has always been around 10gpp, i.e. - a 500 grain arrow for a 50lb bow holding weight (not draw weight).  This is not a hard 'n' fast rule and is surpassed by consistent accuracy at a specific kill range.  Light arrows would not be a good choice because while they will have a lowered flight arc, they will lack in penetration, even of their broadhead is truly hair shaving. 

In the matter of broadheads, I've found the easiest for anyone to get razor sharp are good three blades such as the venerable Wensel Woodsman - lay flat on a file or sander belt and the blade angles are always spot on (see Charlie Lamb's How-To tip at the TG resources board).  Arrows kill by blood loss, not shock.  The twin or four blades will require some manner of understanding and retaining proper blade angles.  If I can't create razor sharp broadheads, I ain't going hunting.

Good arrow flight that will deliver the cutting edges straight, not with any fishtailing or porpoising, is also important.  This means both arrow spine and string nock placement and type of arrow rest and fit of the arrow nock to the string.  Add in shooting form, or lack thereof.

Over the decades I've had to drop down in both draw length and holding weight, and these days for 28@43 my completed woody arrows (broadhead or field/blunt point or judo point) are around 520-540 grains.  The rest is up to me.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2023, 04:44:19 PM »
Rob, that's a great summary/overview.

Thanks!   :archer2:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2023, 09:24:02 PM »
Yep that was.

Offline Skeeterlegs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2023, 10:34:57 PM »
50 lb longbow - 500 gr woodie with a  3 blade Snuffer.  43 lb recurve- 450gr with same said 3 blade Snuffer. Under 20 yards or I won't shoot.  Shot placement and perfect arrow flight is key

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2023, 09:30:08 AM »
I shoot 53-55# and like 10-11 grains per pound but also with high (20-28 percent) FOC. I have always shot heavier arrows but since paying attention to FOC, have seen a big increase in lethality. I shot through a nice sized cornfed buck last year and went through his shoulder with a 560 grain arrow with 26% from a 55# bow. Great performance.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 08:35:44 AM »
Wolfie2nd and others.

You are correct... I had a couple of very frustrating days and I took it out here...

Yes, after running this place so long, its easy to get a short fuse.  I come here for refuge as well from all the chaos in life, and I drug some of that in here and I know better.  There's a lot that goes on here that no one sees, like trying to be taken over by a mafia type company, to finding out someone here has been posting pics of animals they have killed with guns for years.  I went off, and again, I know better.

Please accept my apologizies.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 11:15:31 AM »
Terry, no harm, no foul. I hope I can speak for others in saying that we truly appreciate all you've done, and continue to do for this site, especially the endless behind the scenes efforts. I doubt the gang would exist without your tireless stewardship.

I just wanted to say thanks.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 11:31:55 AM »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:   :archer2:

Accepted, of course.  And thank you, sir, for TradGang.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 02:38:12 PM »
Terry, thanks a bunch!   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2023, 04:07:16 PM »
10-12 gpp, whichever tunes best. My eye likes the speed I get with them. Tried light arrows, struggled with high, especially in 'the moment'.

Some like chocolate some vanilla, experiment and see which you shoot best.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline GAlongbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
Wolfie2nd and others.

You are correct... I had a couple of very frustrating days and I took it out here...

Yes, after running this place so long, its easy to get a short fuse.  I come here for refuge as well from all the chaos in life, and I drug some of that in here and I know better.  There's a lot that goes on here that no one sees, like trying to be taken over by a mafia type company, to finding out someone here has been posting pics of animals they have killed with guns for years.  I went off, and again, I know better.

Terry, I don’t know you, but I respect a man who can own it when he needs too.
Shoot straight brother.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:

:thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »
I've been getting passthroughs on deer going with 9.5 and above out of my 47lb Palmer recurve. For deer I use the Palmer extreme cut which is a big four blade so i probably could go lower with a smaller head.  For hogs I like to go a little heavier with at least 10 and i plan on going up to 12 in case I want to shoot a nice boar. For hogs i use simmons two blade.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »
My last 25 plus deer all taken with arrows 610-675 grains with bow weights 46-55#. I like the heavy arrow to help lower bow noise. Most shots 4-18 yards. Usually pass through, but hitting offside shoulder can stop my arrow.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2023, 11:24:51 AM »
When I shoot carbon arrows, I'll usually drop to 9-9.5 gpp from my listed bows.  Most of my other arrow materials will be around 700 grains from my listed bows.  Red Balau will be @900 grains.  Looking for some cape buffalo in Texas!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"