INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Loveless Dropped Hunter Pair  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Loveless Dropped Hunter Pair
« on: July 18, 2023, 10:44:19 PM »
These were a custom father/son set for a kind local fellow. They are clearly patterned after the Loveless Dropped Hunter but were scaled up in size to fit my customers’ large hands and were ground on a 14” wheel instead of a 10” wheel. He asked for an “heirloom quality user set.” These are my first attempt at replicating any Loveless styled knife, a mortise and tenon guard construction, and doing another maker’s pattern so it was a fun learning project piece for me. I also had the honor of working with the current owner of the Loveless shop on the design and got some input to do a similar logo to what they use in an attempt to pay honor to the significant influence that RW Loveless’ work had on these knives. They are the only Polk Knives that bear this logo and I will not be using it on anything other than a select few Loveless style patterns, making these not only unique but also something that honors the craft of another great maker through my products. This pair is made in AEBL steel with green canvas micarta over red liners, brass/stainless loveless bolts, and a brass guard that was silver soldered and pinned into place. The sheaths were custom color matched to the liner material and were fully lined with elk skin. I gave them a tooled border for a simple yet custom look, stamped the customer’s last name on the back of the belt loop for him, and sewed them up by hand with a saddle stitch. He asked to go back on the list upon picking up this pair.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loveless Dropped Hunter Pair
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 06:40:00 PM »
WOW! Those are gorgeous! Nicely done.

I haven’t been around here in awhile. Stopped by the other day to lurk around and check out the PowWow. I had completely forgotten about the knife makers subforum!

I don’t shoot bows nearly as much as I used to. But I did get in to making knives a few years ago. Talk about an expensive hobby! 😂 I won a Tippit knife in the St Jude auction several years ago and that inspired me. Well, that plus me and daughter watching Forged in Fire. My daughter said, “You ought to try that, daddy.” I said, “you know what, you’re right! I’ve gotta try that!” Started out with lump charcoal, a hairdryer, a piece of 1075 and an ammo can of canola oil. It’s been a slippery slope from there! 😂

Funny coincidence to run across these knives. A friend sent me a picture of a Bark River Loveless “copy” the other day and asked if I could make one from 5160. I told him I’d try. It’s definitely not a beginners knife! Been quite the learning/thinking 2 steps ahead experience.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 03:20:51 PM »
Well. Here’s the one I did. He wanted it Bark River style so I didn’t grind all the way the the spine. I also neglected to taper the tang…maybe next time I do one. 5160 steel, G10 scales and liners, aluminum guard.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 03:21:57 PM »
Sorry about the sideways pictures. Haven’t had that happen in a long time.

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 12:36:08 PM »
GDPolk, I went to your website and did not see a Loveless style drop point available. Also, these knives have a tapered tang which I really appreciate but did not see such a thing on your web site. Can someone order a custom? Also, what steels do you use. Let me know.
Dav

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 02:10:08 PM »
GDPolk, I went to your website and did not see a Loveless style drop point available. Also, these knives have a tapered tang which I really appreciate but did not see such a thing on your web site. Can someone order a custom? Also, what steels do you use. Let me know.

These were a one off custom order and aren’t a regular pattern for me. I do tapered tangs on all of my fixed blades as standard affairs. It’s more work but I like them in function and aesthetic. I have and seem to maintain a pretty small inventory as most of what I make for open sale seems to sell off in under an hour of posting them.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©