INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Simple File Knife  (Read 2004 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Simple File Knife
« on: July 23, 2023, 09:49:27 AM »
This plain/simple 7" neck knife is going to a young boy scout as a gift. It was forged from a 3" piece of an old file. It has a safe Kydex sheath with a pop bead lanyard that will open easily if it gets caught/hung up for any reason...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simple File Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 10:10:58 AM »
Nice  :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 06:45:57 PM »
Very nice, Jeff! Glad to see you are still making knives. I’ve always loved your style. That knife of yours I bought in the St Jude auction several years ago inspired me to try my hand at bladesmithing. It’s been a fun journey thus far!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 08:25:50 PM »
Brandon,
Glad to hear you are starting to forge. Show me some of your work.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 08:43:11 PM »
I’ll post a couple, Jeff. Y’all don’t be too hard on me. But be honest…that’s how we learn. Well…I learn from mistakes most of the time 😂.

First attempt at cloning one for yours from an old file. I didn’t get the shape just right. But the heat treat was good.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 08:48:04 PM »
Coffin handle Bowie. First attempt at a big knife with a full tang and a guard.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 08:52:20 PM »
Western style Bowie. Hidden tang, elk antler handle. All the brass was salvaged left over plumbing fittings. I gave this one to my great uncle who was a plumber and electrician for 50 years.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 08:58:13 PM »
First successful attempt at cable Damascus. That is a BUNCH of work to hammer by hand! By the time I ground to solid steel, there was just enough left for a little wharncliff blade. Curly sassafras scales and cable mosaic pins.

The blade tried to hawk bill on me a little upon the final sharpening. I didn’t bother to fix it. It was just for me and I don’t mind it…I know I CAN fix it if I choose to.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 09:06:10 PM »
Forged this one from an old buggy spring I found at work where we were loading logs. From the age of the old house and barn yard, I’m guessing the spring to be pre 1900. I guessed it as 1095 and treated it as such. The steel hardened perfect, couldn’t ask for better. So I think I guessed right. Pictured with all the salvaged materials used to make it.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 09:14:23 PM »
One more. I fell in love with the shape of this little knife when I saw it. So I had to try to make one myself. Ended up making 3. Gave one to my neighbor, one to my brother and did an open give away on a deer hunting site I frequent.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 08:24:39 AM »
Very nice indeed!! Did you have help from any other bladesmiths? I wouldn't even show you my first couple of forged knives...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 08:34:27 AM »
No help from anybody. Read a lot online and watched some videos. Then it was just trial and error. Started with some lump charcoal, a hair dryer, an ammo can full of canola oil and a little Harbor Freight belt sander. My first few were REALLY bad/ugly. And I broke several along the way too. I’ve still got a LONG ways to go!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©