3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flemish Strings, Rotator Cuff Surgeries and Shooting again…  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
I’ve not been active on this sight for a long time and I’m now feeling the itch to get back into shooting traditional.

I had shoulder problems for many years (reason I stopped shooting and building/selling strings) and have had both rotator cuffs repaired in the last 2 years (not a fun ride). 

I just made some strings for a person that used my strings on his bows (Brian @ Tall Tines). While doing so I looked at my Martin Savannah (first of many trad bows) and I’m wondering if I have the strength to get back at it.  I’m 2 years off the right cuff and 7 months off the left cuff repair.  The thought of letting the string slip from my fingers is both fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

So…people that have had them repaired and are still feeling not 100%, any suggestions?  My Savannah is my lowest poundage bow (48 @ 28” tested on a scale) draw to around 29”, use to shoot this bow very well.

Also kicking the idea of making strings again for people, not sure how many still remember my strings and would be interested if I did.  I couldn’t promise the lead-time I use to have (1-3 days) but I cold definitely put some out weekly.
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish Strings, Rotator Cuff Surgeries and Shooting again…
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 02:31:20 PM »
I was wondering what happened to you.
Glad to see you are back.

I didn’t have what you had, but a triple bypass hindered me for a few months. I started back with a 40# bow with a few brief pulls every day or do for awhile after a lay-off of about 3-4 months. I didn’t want go through wiring my chest back together a second time.
But after pt and time off from shooting, it’s going well. I am back to shooting 52#now. Listen to your Doctor.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 02:41:58 PM »
I had my right rotator cuff repaired in January.- I had a full depth tear and multiple partial tears to include a bicep tear as well. As you know, the surgery and recovery suck!

I had a great surgeon and therapists and followed their instructions regarding my recovery to a T. One of my therapists is a bow hunter and he knew my goal was to be able to hunt again this coming season. He gave me exercises specifically geared to get me shooting again.

I have been able to shoot the bow I hunted with last year for about 2 months now, so 4 months into my recovery. It was a little scary the first time I shot because I didn't know what to expect. I was however confident because my surgeon and my therapist both gave me the green light to shoot based on my strength and recovery progress. I would get evaluated every week at therapy.

I was only able to shoot 5-10 arrows every other day at first and have gradually worked my way up to more arrows and sometimes can shoot every day. The most important thing for me is to listen to what my shoulder is telling me and not over do it. If I have to take a break from shooting for a few days, I will. I also have continued to do my regular strength and muscle stamina exercises for my shoulder every other day.

I was told that it would be a year until I was fully recovered. I have good days and bad days but there are worse things in life.

Best of luck to you and please, whatever you do....talk to your therapist and or surgeon before you do anything. It has been helpful for me to talk to others about our shoulder experiences but no one can give you better advice than YOUR docs/therapists.

:archer2:

Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »
My right shoulder surgery was not fun, had a full thickness 2.5 cm tear and my long head of the bicep was also repaired.  It has its good days and bad days, but for the most part is 95-98%.  I have some micro partial thickness tears in that rotator cuff according to my last MRI, but nothing serious according to the DR.

My left feels good and was a much easier surgery (pain after), it was around 1.8 CM full thickness tear, surgery was easier and but the recovery has been somewhat harder.

I did many months of PT both in person and on my own, I'm still doing PT for my left and by fault also my right (several exercises work both).

I have another follow up with my Dr. in a week, I will be asking for his opinion on shooting by bow then.
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 03:12:42 PM »
Been there myself, torn rotator cuff, labrum and bicep. I did PT Aldo and started with @ 25 lb bow 4 months after surgery. Hunted 6 months after with. 38 lb bow.  Now back up to 55 lbs. take it slow

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »
I just had tendon repair surgery two weeks ago and I am wondering how long it will be before I can pull my bow again.

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 12:04:16 AM »
4 months or so. My Dr. Asked me "what is it with you bowhunters?" " All you want to know is when I can I shoot my bow again".

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 05:47:49 AM »
I was upset when I couldn't get a hold of you when you quit making strings. I for one would order from you. I haven't found a string maker with strings I liked as good as you.

How and when will we know to get a hold of you?

Glad you're doing better.

Online lcamp319

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 12:22:51 AM »
I have had full tears repaired on both shoulders a year apart in Jan 14 and feb 15.  Tell therapists of your goal to shoot again.  FOLLOW WHAT THEY SAY!  I waited until sept 1 to attempt shooting, then started with a 25# for awhile, then to a 35#, to a 42# and finally to 50#.  I've been at 50# since with no problems.  Don't be in a hurry, listen to your shoulders  Good luck

Offline awry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 03:24:08 PM »
Had surgery two months ago to repair “Full-thickness tear of the critical zone of the mid and anterior fibers of supraspinatus measuring 1.4 cm transversely” on my bow shoulder. Thankfully no bicep repair.  :pray:
Recover ain’t fun at all … surgeon told me this is the hardest recovery from all the different types of surgeries he does. Can’t imagine haven’t my other shoulder operated on as well

Jim, thinking you had surgery on draw shoulder but still curious what specific exercises geared towards archery the therapist gave ya?

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 05:51:35 PM »
It takes a while for sure. I had two torn tendons (one complete). During surgery (a year later) my surgeon also did a complete rotator cuff repair w a cadaver graft. After my surgery he didn't think I would ever draw a bow again. 3 months in a wedge sling 24/7. Then physio for another two months.

I taught myself to shoot with my teeth and a mouth tab, while waiting for surgery not wanting to push it until a year passed. I shot three does year one. Last year my best mulie and a 3 yr old Bull Moose.

I started shooting again this March. 35# at then 26" draw. Now up to 43 @ 27". Not sure if I'll be able to increase anymore weight by season start, next month. Slowly increasing my draw tho.

I'll be 70 next month. My best advice is go slow and if you feel strain or tired, take an extra day off. I'm doing dumbell training.

Good luck w your rehab.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 10:55:08 AM »
Glad to see you're back! I have also struggled with shoulder issues. Thankfully...I guess...no rotator cuff tears just arthritis. The only cure will be shoulder replacement. My understanding is that surgery makes the rotator cuff repair seem like a walk in the park, so I'm doing all I can to delay it. For several years I was relegated to hunting with a 48# compound bow. It was still bow hunting, but man is compound practice boring :tongue:.

Part of my issue was my doctor misdiagnosed it as an AC joint issue and sent me to a therapist for that. The exercises not only didn't fix it, they increased the pain. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he said it was definitely NOT AC joint and to stop a couple of the exercises. One cortisone shot and an MRI later, I found out the true issue. I could get another shot, but that won't fix it and can actually weaken the rotator cuff. This summer I started out trying to draw my 40# Slick Stick (it scales 38# on my scale). I found that by slightly changing my draw, I could shoot with little to no pain. I kept my practice sessions short and worked up to my 45# Kiowa. Then I saw pictures of the Arctic Gray Kodiak Magnum and could not resist.  :dunno:

I'm back to having fun with a bow instead of just using it as a tool. My plan is to hunt with the Kmag this fall. I do a lot of stump shooting, so I have time between shots rather than launching a quiver full of arrows one after the other. Dandelions inside of 22 yards are in serious danger of losing their heads now!  :biglaugh:

Now, if I were you, after you've consulted with your doctor, I'd try to find a lighter bow to start with. I still have days where the Slick Stick feels about right, so I don't push it. I just stump with the light poundage on those days and be happy. I don't think I'll get to the point where I can shoot much more than 45#, but I'm okay with that. I figure trying to be macho at age 70 is just plain silly anyway. Take care of yourself, and again, welcome back!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 09:37:51 AM »
Last year I had mine done along with bone spur removal.  Did PT hard and followed surgeon's advice.  I started with a borrowed 35# Sage.  Then went ot a 45# ILF with wood/fiberglass limbs.  Then a set of Max 6.  And finally to my 46# Covert Hunters.  The draw cycles on each was very different and it took me a while to get back.  It was much easier to draw the BearPaw ILF than the Max 6 limbs.  And they were much easier to draw than the Border Hex8 and Hex9 due to the front load cycle.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 12:18:57 PM »
I have bought many strings from you, and I will say your strings are top notch and will buy from you again if possible.
  I also had a total, draw arm, shoulder replacement. Had my Kanati's weight reduced to 38 lbs. after getting fixed. Shot thru the 1st four I deer I shot at and decided I didn't need more poundage and wear and tear on my plastic joint.
 Start out with real low poundage, its the shock of the weight let off that hurts.
  I would tell anyone that has a pain full shoulder, don't put it off, life is to short and you don't need a 50 lb. bow to hunt deer!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »

"Jim, thinking you had surgery on draw shoulder but still curious what specific exercises geared towards archery the therapist gave ya?" quote from awry

Sorry for the delayed response! Yes sir, my surgery was on my right shoulder, my drawing side.

My therapist has an eye hook on a wall at shoulder height that he can attach different therapy bands to. The bands also have a handle attached to the free end. I would extend my bow arm and then draw the band back like I was drawing back a bow to my anchor point at the corner of my mouth. I started with the lightest band, under his supervision, and progressed through to the heaviest he had within about 2 weeks. He was cool enough to give me bands to take home so I could work on this exercise on my own. The only difference is, I hold the end of the band in my bow arm hand when I'm at the house. I feel this helped strengthen my bow arm back up as well. I eventually got to the point where I could take 2 pieces of the heaviest resistance band, put them together and double them over and draw back and hold for a 3 count 10 times in a row. I still do that exercise with those bands every other day as part of my normal rehab. routine. I never scaled the bands in this configuration but I do know that my 50# recurve is easier to pull back than the bands are.

My therapist also recommended that I go through my range of motion stretches before I do any bow shooting and I feel that has helped me as well. I still have my ups and downs and sometimes I have to take a break from shooting for a few days but I know I'm getting stronger. It will be great if I can get back all of the strength and muscle stamina I had before I got injured and that is what I push myself to do.

Please talk to your doc and or therapist before you try any exercise. Everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you. I don't want to see you or anyone else get jammed up!

Good luck on your recovery and God bless!      :archer2:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 11:19:33 AM »
Had my surgery on Feb. 1st this year.  Can only shoot 52# right now but hoping to get back to hunting weight by fall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©