3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: pop up campers?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
pop up campers?
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
I've been looking for a small inexpensive pop up camper to go on hunting trips with. All I'm looking for is a sleeping capacity for up to 6, no stove or sink or shower or chemical toilet. No fancy wood work either. Just a plain Jane pop up camper with an awning, a couple bunks and perhaps a table and seat or seats.

Could anyone recomend one for me. All of the camper web sites I've seen have campers that look like the interior of a fancy house. We don't need a camper that looks like it belongs in Better Homes magazine. Just a camper to sleep in and one that if you tracked mud into it you could just sweep the floor and not feel like you have to hire a cleaning person. The key is to have it be inexpensive and easy for my kid and I to set up.

Thanks for any guidance in the right direction.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pop up campers?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Check your local newspaper classifieds for older used models....should find exactly what your looking for at a WHOLE lot less....
Even if it comes with some "extras" you won't feel bad about tracking a little mud...
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Yeah, local classifieds or Craigslist listings would be where I would look.  Lots of people spend good money on a camper thinking it will be a great thing to do.  Then after only using it once or twice a year for 5 years they finally give up and sell it.  You can get an almost new camper for far less than the price of new ones if you look around.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
look around for a used one. i bought one last year and it was about 10 yrs old. i think it was about $3000. mine is a jayco. it has a a/c wth heat and a king and a queen pull out bed. most people buy them adn use thema couple times and never use them again.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Yeah, buy used.  Inspect it carefully and make sure everything works especially the  system to raise and lower it. My wife and I seriously considered buying one last year but went for the big tent instead.  With gas prices what they are now I'm glad we did.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Recurve, I work in Pompton plains on rt 23. There is a used one for sale around the corner. I'll snap a pic and get you the # off it if you'd like. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
www.popuptimes.com

EXCELLENT web site for everything you need to know about pop-ups. Great ideas and a classifieds page.  I sold one years ago to a fellow who saw my ad on the site.

Good luck....their a blast!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I have a great one that has some great features and a good price (1500). . . probably too far away though!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Just gave one away that has been to 14 different states, Hunting, Fishing and camping and never had a problem. Even loaded up I never new it was back there and it didn't make a difference in gas either. Paid 800$ for it.

One of the best base camps out there for hunting I think. The screened in porch makes a great kitchen area when hunting.

Keep looking its that time of year, Lots of used ones out there right now.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
We had one, a little Jayco that opened only on one end-the table converted for a bunk for my kids.  It was great.  One thing, though; you'll probably want to replace the foam mattresses. Ours was way too thin for any comfort at all, even with ensolite foam underneath!  I wound up using mine for duck hunting, with a place for the dogs as well, out of the weather.  The thing was great!   We wound up taking a porta potti and big sunshower with us, a free standing screen room for the cook tent, and we were set up for weeks; it was probably the best thing I ever bought!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
I made a hunting camper. I bought a new 7X17 utility trailer from the factory and put in bunks,an A/C,porta  potty, overhead lighting and a coffee pot. We use plastic tubs for storage and when it's not being used during hunting season I can pop the bed out with an electric screwdriver and use it has a real trailer.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the helpful information on this subject. I'll be on the lookout for a used pop up camper in my area.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
I just picked up an old used 16' travel trailer for $1000.00 sleeps 6 3way fridge furnace. Perfect for what I want it for, took about a year for it to find me.

Just start telling your co workers, friends and family what your looking for. sooner or later it will find you.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

I use our pop-up for a hunting camp quite often.  It has also been very good for family campouts in the summers.  My kids are all teenagers now and they still go with mom and dad several times each summer.

Another good web page for pop-ups is   PopUp Explorer .

Mike

Offline trapdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 01:51:00 AM »
You can usually pick up an old used pop-up pretty cheap. I had one given to me, because the tent part had dry-rot. I ripped off all the canvas, and replaced it with plywood, & slapped some paint on it. It stays permately in the "up" position, & looks like a little square cabin now.
  I took it up to my property in Ontario, and left it there. It's now moose camp, and the bears even have a hard time breaking into it.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »
I went on my honeymoon with a popup tent camper.
 We got up to go to the bathroom; and the whole camp ground (which was full of 'older people'); had noticed that the coleman lamp- made a 'shadow screen' of the side of the camper......
 There were 50 people in camp chairs applauding when we stepped from the camper.
 Got out of that campground fast; and never did spend another trip in a pop-up camper   :o  
  Just a warning   :rolleyes:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Cinghiale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
If you are thinking to save space and money this is an Italian idea:

www.zifer.it

I have one of it on my 4x4 small Suzuki just for 2 persons. You stay safe, dry with the goretex cover , 100% wind prof and if you want more space you can add an additional tent for camp kitchen .

In memory of my old hunting partner Silberio : VIVA MARIA !

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

If you are going to be camping when its nice and cold.  You might consider a camper with canvas vs vinyl type material for the top of the wings.
We found that just our breath would condense and drop on to us. And using anything but a forced air heater can get it raining inside.
Our camper has a forced air heater but takes a couple of good batteries to make it through the night and then a generator during the day to bring them back.
So I will do canvas next time.

BigArcher

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
Used is definately the way to go. Cheaper and better. You can take out any extras you don't want or need.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
I just sold mine. I had it for 11 years. There are a lot of great memories.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©