3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Quivers  (Read 1725 times)

Offline socalmonster09

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Quivers
« on: August 02, 2023, 02:37:53 PM »
What do you like in a bow quiver on your bow, I'm looking. size, shape,
number of arrows, what's your go-to quiver.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Quivers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 02:50:53 PM »
I've tried most ways to carry arrows and most quiver styles but always fall back to a bow mounted quiver,  specifically the Great Northern with the IN LINE gripper!   I've always like the Great Northern mostly but never liked the 3 in the front 2 in the back stacked arrow arrangement .........  in line is the only way to go for me and these days GN offers that option in the gripper.  Light,  well built,  nice looking, extremely functional,  can't beat em.  I like the 5 arrow option.  I keep for broadheads and 1 blunt in there.
That quiver fits the bill for me in all regards and I can't see myself using anything else in the foreseeable future.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 02:57:03 PM »
Same as above, but strap on.  Great Northern is hard a beat.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 03:53:40 PM »
My preference is the Thunderhorn Boa in the small fry configuration. It's light, attaches well and holds my arrows securely and they're good looking quivers. I changed out the arrow gripper and mine holds 5 arrows which i use to carry 4 broadheads and a blunt.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
I like 4-arrow Selway slip ons. 

Offline socalmonster09

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 05:03:56 PM »
thanks very much, I will look into all of them.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 05:25:12 PM »
I prefer 6 arrows - I like 4 broadheads, and 2 blunts (or variations of blunts).  For my take down bows, I really like the Great Northern kickback detachable that mounts to the limb bolts.  Then I add a 6th arrow by using a piggy backer I cut in half and mount permanently to the quiver.  That carries 6 arrows very compactly - excellent quiver for Take Down.  I do NOT like the Great Northern strap on very much, it has way too much movement and vibration on the shot in my opinion. 

I also really like the Selway slide one 5 or 6 arrow model, again I prefer 6.  A close 2nd though is an older Delta style 7 arrow, that I modified to be a strap-on quiver.  That is really nice, but adds significant "heft" to the bow.  I've had numerous other brands, arrow #'s, various configurations... but all of my bows have the three I just mentioned on them and I like them all very much.  *I should note that I like 3-blade broadheads and found many of the more compact quivers I've tried simply didn't give good broadhead and/or fletching clearance which is a major pet peeve of mine. 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline ranchdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 07:04:49 PM »
I received a BOA Mini 4 for my IA Mohawk today. Very nice looking quiver and is a great fit. 52" bow, quiver, and arrows weigh 2 lbs 6 oz.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 10:09:43 PM »
I really like my 4 arrow slide-on Selways. It's functional, and looks really good IMO. I also have a 5 arrow GN strap on quiver which I like as well, maybe a bit more. I like the fact that it's easy to take on and off, where as the Selway is a bit more permanent once it's on.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:21:50 PM »
Lots of choices.Lots of good choices as well.Pretty competitive market

I typically like a lighter quiver with a smaller footprint.Holding 4 arrows.I think I have had pretty much all of them over the years.I currantly have 5 bowquivers.

All the quivers listed above are fine quivers!I like the smaller selway slide on.The 4 arrow model with the smaller hood.The Thunderhorn Boa Mini is nice and attractive.G.N quivers are very nice.Probably like the setback adjustable in that one the most.

Eagles flight are the lightest bow quivers.I like the 4 arrow model.I like that on bows that I want the quiver to be small and lightweight.It sits close to the riser for good balance.

Big Jim makes a nice bow quiver.

All those are excellant.Hard to pick one thats the best.Its matter of opinion and what suits you best overall if you pick just one.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 10:50:47 PM »
I also have the Thunderhorn Boa on one of my longbows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 10:40:19 AM »
I prefer bolt on quivers Gunshy being my favorite.

Offline socalmonster09

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 12:59:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for your options, good info.  :clapper:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 08:32:59 PM »
I like the strap on Sellway quiver a lot because i can remove it and put it back on easily. but i also have a Thunderhorn two point i really like that attaches to my limb bolts on my TD bows.

https://thunderhornmfg.com/collections/boas/products/two-point-take-down
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
I have used nothing but Selway quick detach quivers for ever works awesome they are great folks to work with.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 02:48:22 PM »
Likewise about the Selway's use different ones, but prefer the quick detach model as mentioned .

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 05:18:09 PM »
I am very pleased with my Creek Walker Trading 5 arrow quiver. It is extremely well made, looks great as Donnie used the same wood as the limbs of my longbow and the service is second to none. I’ll be ordering another one for one of my recurves.

I’m also considering a GunShy for my Bear Super Kodiak.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2023, 08:56:59 AM »
My thoughts on the Selway and Thunderhorn quivers (or any other two piece quiver): Selway and Thunderhorn are great company’s, both of their craftsmanship and customer service are awesome, however, they need to fix the design of their products, the quivers will slip on the limbs ac can expose the broadheads.  I used the Selway and quiver for over a decade on my long bow until it slipped on my glass longbow limbs during a fall while helping a friend on a big horn hunt, exposing five broadheads and nearly sticking me with several broadheads. My friend had one comment: You are an idiot for not using a one piece quiver like the Great Northern quiver in the mountains. He was right, I switched to the Great Northern quiver immediately after that hunt (around 2000). The GN quiver has never slipped and exposed the broadheads. If your hunt is treking a crop field to a whitetail treestand or blind, the two piece quiver might be fine, if you are chasing elk, mule deer, or other critters in the mountains, look at the Great Northern quiver or other one piece quivers.….it is a lot safer.

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2023, 09:32:18 AM »
I have a box full of quivers.  Most are QD but have a couple of the Great Norther/Black Widow/Bear type.
I always end up using an old Hoyt 4 arrow qd.  FWIW, I don't leave it on the bow but take it off and hang it in the tree.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©