3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching covers  (Read 1483 times)

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching covers
« on: August 05, 2023, 10:58:46 AM »
For those of you that use fletching covers for your arrows ,which ones do you like as far as ez of arrow removal, and feather protection. Thank you

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching covers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 09:34:26 PM »
I don't hunt in the rain.  But I do waterproof fletching with either the powder or dry-fly treatment.  Both shed water that can wet fletching that contacts brush wet with dew during the day
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 12:55:27 PM »
I keep one wrapped around the shaft of my GFA style quiver just in case of foul weather. Arrows slip right out without any difficulty or noise.
 A fletch cover is simply a fleece material bag with shock string to attach to the quiver, simple to make.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 02:35:54 PM »
I still use and love my cat quiver.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 08:24:23 AM »
I use homemade fleece ones - I spray them each season with "camp dry" or something similar to make them shed water.  Work like a charm.  I use very bright fletching typically, so I use them when hunting public areas as well to make it easier for me to not be seen by people. 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 03:28:57 PM »
I keep an old bread bag in my back quiver for when it pours but usually see no need for them. I have also heard of folks putting a condom on each arrow :biglaugh:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 03:44:13 PM »
Homemade fleece with elastic strap.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 06:33:22 PM »
I use a soft quiet cloth cover to hide bright fletching (home-made).  For me it has nothing to do with the weather (I don't purposely hunt in the rain), it's just smart to do when hunting critters at close range.  Bow quiver movement makes bright fletching alot more visible.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 09:12:21 PM »
Several years ago, I trashed a pair of Sitka Opti-Fade pants when I slid down a steep scree slope. I wasn't happy about that, but I did make some very nice fletch covers out of the pant legs, complete with eyelets and shock cord.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 10:55:08 AM »
I had some camo cloth, so I had someone make waterproof fletching covers (sewed a waterproof liner inside) for me. They have an elastic strap so to get an arrow out of my bow quiver all I have to do is push down until the broadhead clears the quiver hood then pull the arrow out of the fletching cover. I don't bow hunt in the rain but if I get caught when I'm already in the woods in the rain, I hang my bow upside down or I take my quiver off my bow and hang it upside down so the rain doesn't run down the arrow shaft to the fletching.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 03:17:03 PM »
You can buy them pretty cheep, or make them yourself.  here's one on 3 rivers site. If you get the ones with a bottom sewed closed, i open up the bottom. Makes it much easier to load your arrows into your quiver without ruffling the feathers... None of these things keep your feather dry in the rain.... I use low profile feathers and tune them so there is no effect when those feathers are wet.

What i like about them is that it covers up all my white or florescent feathers so i'm not waving a flag in the woods every time i move my bow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323762354726?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=323762354726&targetid=1493511276905&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032862&poi=&campaignid=20387609897&mkgroupid=149368315897&rlsatarget=aud-1412318123216:pla-1493511276905&abcId=9316960&merchantid=101706802&gclid=CjwKCAjw_uGmBhBREiwAeOfsd9x3wF0P2SpGypA8f5NSUFtx-z0-O7hlrbZvgjYNq5-7GnBLMR_9qBoCBecQAvD_BwE
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 07:53:51 PM »
Even though the material is waterproof, I didn't build mine for water protection, the top is open so it can rain right in, there are two eyelets for drain holes in the bottom. They are mainly to cover the bright fletching, both feather and vane, that I frequently use. That bow just happened to be dipped in the same pattern.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »
My choice has nothing to to with rain either....

Hides my choice of fletching.

Protects my fletching in the thick brush.

Reduces the chance of limbs getting in between the shafts and pulling one out.

Adds another dimension to the bow quiver for break up.

That being said, the best design is to NOT have the bottom closed.  Much easier to withdraw and arrow, and less noise with the bottom open.  Also, wire or zip tie hoops are nice around the perimeter of the bottom.  This also insures that you don't have to worry about trash building up in the bottom.

Have fun....  :campfire:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2023, 01:22:44 PM »
I use the “side stalker” style quiver. I went to the yard goods store and bought some waterproof camo and wife made the cover for me. I carry it my pocket just in case. That “case” happened to me hunting in Wisconsin one year. Basically it’s nothing more than a bag with a couple old shoe laces attached to keep it from falling off.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2023, 06:56:32 PM »
Sorry, this is the largest size I can get to at the moment, but you can zoon in on the cover.... This one is my favorite, hoop on top and bottom.  Again, open bottom.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©