3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: target panic and hypnosis  (Read 910 times)

Offline oldwood

• Trad Bowhunter
  • used to be ruckus
target panic and hypnosis
« on: August 09, 2023, 09:19:57 PM »
Does anyone know if hypnosism can help with target panic

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: target panic and hypnosis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 02:46:59 AM »
I have not tried hypnosis. When I was starting to get serious about target and competition, I found most were using clickers as they held on the target. When I quit competition, I found the following method to bypass the problem of holding on a target.  The first deer I shot, was running from my right to left and I nailed it, like shooting birds with a shotgun. Although, beating target panic sounds easy, it isn't for most and they end up putting a clicker on their bow.

Target panic is a learned habit, to undo it takes some time and persistence.  If you had a habit of aiming, aiming to the point where it was difficult to hold on a spot, try the following every practice session for as long as needed. Remove all targets, or cover a bullseye, or animal target with a 13 gal. white kitchen garbage bag. Just hold it in place with two nails.  If you have straw, cedar or cardboard bales, you can skip the white bags.

Standing close to the backstop (bales), concentrate on a smooth and draw and release. Rhythm is key to success.  If you have used a shotgun to hunt birds, you know you can't hold on the bird or you'll shoot behind it.

When ready, pick a spot on the bale and concentrate on it without looking at the arrow or another spot; draw and release when you reach full anchor, without holding. Each shot should be rhythmic draw and release. Develop a smooth and rhythmic process. Repeat the process, aiming at the same spot a second time. Move to a different spot every few shots, so you aren't  breaking arrows.

It is best to stand close, like 10 yards and to end a short session on a positive note. The new habit forming is easier to learn if you don't try to hold. Keep the sessions short and end on a positive note.  Your brain will create a learned response and the habit will become a subconscious response.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 03:19:44 AM by Hud »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 10:53:10 AM »
By your question I’m assuming you have target panic and are looking in every direction possible to beat the demon… :knothead:

This is what helped me. Dropping in draw weight. Like a lot… The putting a clicker on my bow. Moving up close to the target and watching myself draw. That’s right. Don’t look at the target watch yourself draw and the arrow come back and anchor. So you’re not associating yourself with a sight picture yet. After your reach full draw and are solidly anchored. Then shift your eyes to the target.
And in your mind say pull, pull, pull. Over n over again slowly. Until your clicker pops and let er loose.
That broke it for me. And it do t happen over night but goin cup close and doing this for extended periods of time. After you are solid with that. I mean very solid. Not mental hesitations… the go to shooting using the same technique. But with hold draws mixed in.. what is a hold draw. Well, every other shot you draw n hold. Get alignment. Enjoy seeing the sight picture. Whatever that may be. Then letting down. Good luck!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »
Why doesn’t anyone try reprogramming their brain? Everyone wants an easy solution. String bow will 100% aid this. Try it, any questions to use or in the making or how to use it to reprogram just ask. I will advise it’s sorta close to deer season if you’re planning on doing that
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 04:15:35 PM »
No but I know a clicker has helped me.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 07:29:07 PM »
All interesting solutions to target panic, anything that works.
I saw a video of a guy who anchors his finger on his molar and commits to that full draw. This method helped me greatly, went back up to 60# longbow for practice . I try all different holding times, 1 - 8 seconds just to beat that demon of target panic. If I shoot on rhythm, I tend to lose control again, short draw, target panic.
Little verbal queues like the buck is walking behind a tree....okay to release now...exaggerate the follow through and keep bow arm up . When I go back down to 50-55# it's much easier. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 08:22:31 AM by gordydog »

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 07:34:07 PM »
Fellas target panic is a mental issue. You need to retrain the brain and its impulses. Keep shooting a bow a trying that. How come it so seldom works and takes so long. Commitment to string bow and you’ll reprogram
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 11:18:31 AM »
Bowguy, What do you mean by "string bow"? and how does it retrain your brain to overcome tragic panic?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:59:41 AM by ChiefStingingArrow »

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 01:15:50 PM »
Bowguy, What do you mean by "string bow"? and how does it retrain your brain to overcome tragic panic?
Hate to barge in, but this subject was near and dear to me, so I do understand the frustration. The below is a link explaining the making and using of a string bow.

I ended up overcoming my target issues with a modded version of all this and a nice young gentleman(Terry Green) helped me out. When we first met I had TP and he wasn’t convinced of it. I, at the time, was shooting split and aiming. The day he came over, he told me to stand close, isolating my draw cycle to full draw and blast away. I try and make sure my release is constant, no fly away hand, just releasing the string. It has been work, and I do it daily, but my TP is done for and my shooting has become proficient and enjoyable,

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 04:35:45 PM »
Yes Johnny, when I met you, you had target 'doubt'. And I told you...

"You can't hit something by trying not to miss".

And you caught on pretty fast.  Glad to hear your still shooting well.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 06:28:38 PM »
There was a thread here years ago where the OP was having TP issues and asked Arne Moe some direct questions about overcoming it.

Arne's responses, along with other tradgang members made for a very interesting and informative thread. Read it if you can find it, I think I searched "Arne Moe rotational draw" or something like that, and found it.
Best of luck resolving the issue.  :archer2:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement