3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock Durability  (Read 1682 times)

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock Durability
« on: August 17, 2023, 09:09:45 AM »
Hello. I’ve experienced two broken nocks upon release in the past two years and am looking to avoid further failures. I visually inspect my nocks, but apparently that is not effective. Both failures were Gold Tip GT nocks out of a 55# bow.

Is there anything that can be done to proactively avoid nock failures upon release? Are there opinions on more durable nocks than the Gold Tip GT nock?

Thank you.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock Durability
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 10:19:06 AM »
Change nock brands.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 10:24:29 AM »
Thanks Terry. What brand do you use?

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 03:25:09 PM »
I've always shot GT nocks and the only failures that I've had are if I hit one on a previous shot and didn't realize it. Otherwise they've held up very well.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 07:12:30 AM »
I've always broken more than a normal number of nocks. I have no idea why.

Though I can't say I've broken the GT nocks specifically, I've read enough over the years to avoid them. I use Easton Super nocks exclusively as they never fail.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 07:50:36 AM »
Thanks Stringwacker. My mind was already leaning toward Easton Super Nocks, as I trust Easton and they look “beefier” than the GT nock.

Any other thoughts or opinions are welcome. I’m just looking to never hear the awful sound of a broken nock on release again!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 10:25:14 AM »
I've used several nocks over the years, and found nirk nock to be the scourge of the earth.

I have several Glory Nocks on my arrows now, their lit on half and same shape but non lit on others.  I've used Z nocks, and G nocks.  I do like a 'beefy' nock if I can get it, the tiny ones I'm not much for.... but I do like the small Glory Nocks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 11:40:36 AM »
Make sure they seat tight up to the string. Any slight gap can result in stress over a period of time leading to failure.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 02:17:53 PM »
Gold tip nocks are not a friend of mine either, they break on release. I use Bohning nocks or when hunting lighted nocks .

Offline cjrecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 03:03:19 PM »
99% of my shooting is roving. I have taken over 100,000 shots in the last 7 years all with Gold Tip nocks. Zero failures.

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 04:32:50 PM »
For clarification, here is an image of the most recent failed nock. I shot the bow, bow makes bad noise, arrow falls to my feet.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 07:41:06 AM »
Brother, I would ""stop"" shooting that bow right quick before she bites you. Literally ! As in dry fire explosion... :o

You have a serious issue imho.  Tight nock-loose nock--way weak spine-way stiff spine , low nock set ?

It could be bad -old-dry-heat damaged  nocks. That isn't a carbon thing...it's a plastic thing. That could be, but until you find the issue, looking at "all" the potential possibilities I would not shoot that bow .If your spnie is ballpark , and nock /string fit is good...change those nocks out.  If it is the nocks, the retailer/manufacturer need notified . 

It looks more like something torquing the nock upon release to me.....jmho

Best with your quest my friend....safe quest ;) :campfire:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 07:53:28 AM by RIVERWOLF »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
For those who have experienced a broken nock upon release, have your failures looked like the image I attached or is my failure unique?

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2023, 01:21:34 AM »
I have use Bjorn for 60 yrs.+ from Sweden, if another arrow hits it straight on it will break, otherwise I checked a glance off. Never had one break while shooting, that I recall.  I have switched to the Bohning Classic nock and like it. Both come in a variety of colors and the Bohning comes in solid colors also.   Bjorn are hard to find now days, but are available online.  :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 07:00:16 AM »
For those who have experienced a broken nock upon release, have your failures looked like the image I attached or is my failure unique?

Yes. Just like your picture. I've cracked the handles in at least 5  bows with broken nock dry fires. The difference between mine and yours is I only had one press in nock fail (and I know why that one did); but probably have had 75 glue on nocks break over the last 45 years of shooting. I suspect many more than that actually.

I shoot a torrid amount of shots each year; but anyone, including myself, understands that that's an insane number of broken nocks. I tried everything I could ever think of and got the same results no matter what brand of nock I used, how I served it, or how much or brand of glue I used. In the end, its a 'me' problem that I never could diagnose....at least not in a way that I was willing to change. I've just stuck to the super nocks over the last few years and gave up on any glue on brands. Problem solved.

I buy my Black Widows two at a time (to have a backup) and BW adds an extra strip of phenolic in the handle to help withstand the stress of dry fires; understanding my history with them.

I know its all stupid what I just posted; but the super nocks were my solution.  Your not the only one. Your results may vary.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 07:45:41 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2023, 08:11:41 AM »
I really appreciate all of the thoughts and experiences shared about this issue. I have changed to the Easton Super 3D nock. These new nocks are also a different color, in hopes that I will be able to better visually inspect them for damage/crazing of the plastic.

As for other possible causes (setup, form, etc), I’m really not sure how to effectively go about studying that. I’ve bare-shaft tuned my setup with good heavy arrows (13 grain per pound). Nock fit feels correct to me; no slop when engaged on the string, subtle “click” audibly confirming engagement.

I do recognize the risk of failing nocks hence my seeking wisdom here. I welcome any other experiences, thoughts, tips, ideas that others have had or used over the years.

Thank you! Please keep the posts coming!!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2023, 08:27:12 AM »
I find before failure the knock will loosen up and not snap on string the same, most of the time. Flexing the ears also gets softer, ie. time to change.
shoot straight shoot often

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
I wanted to share an update on this. I changed my nocks from the Gold Tip GT nocks to the Easton Super 3D nocks in August. I have since shot these arrows many hundreds (thousands?) of times. I have not experienced another failure.

I wanted to share this experience in case others shared in the challenge.

Thanks to those who suggested this solution.

:campfire: :coffee:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2023, 12:19:12 PM »
Every broken nock I have ever had has been broken by being hit by an arrow. Because of this I started carefully inspecting my nocks whenever I hear an arrow hit another, or whenever two arrows hit the target very close to each other. That one simple thing, inspecting my nocks, has prevented nock failure because I can find a cracked nock before I put one on the string. Commercially available nocks are plastic and plastic can crack. Cracked plastic will break.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »
I agree with what you’re saying, Smokin Joe. I think that certain nock colors may also lend themselves to visually identifying damage. White, which was the color of the nocks that failed on me, I believe are particularly challenging to see damage. My new nocks are translucent green, and the ability of light to penetrate the plastic is helpful in illuminating damage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©