3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Hunter and Brace Height  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Hunter and Brace Height
« on: August 26, 2023, 04:18:52 PM »
For some reason my Black Hunter seems to like a brace height of 7 1/4.  If I go up just a little it gets louder.  Bow shoots good, a little more noisy than I would like but I have a SBD string coming this week.  I do have to put a ton of twists in the string to get the 7 1/4 brace.  I worked up in 3 twist increments to 7 7/8 but it just kept getting louder.  And had to twist it a lot to get there.  I wonder if the unbelievably high amount of twists I have to put into the string has something to do with the noise level.  Anyway the bow shoots extremely accurate for me but I just expected the brace height to be much higher than where I have it shooting. 

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Hunter and Brace Height
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 05:52:19 PM »
The string that comes with the black hunter long bow is junk. Your new string should help.
Mine likes a 7-7.25” brace ht. Mine is pretty quiet but I shoot a fairly heavy arrow.

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »
Mine is a recurve.  Don't know if the bh is the same with the longbow.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 08:34:52 PM »
7.25 +/- a twister2 works on LB as RC. I am a 3 under guy, 5/8’s up on the nock, wool puffs and they are quiet and accurate. These bows are a great deal, wish someone would make custom limbs for whatever riser you got with prices and performance levels for all-because, if anything, the limbs are the weakest link. I have read many stories of cheena made limbs, TopArchery, Sinoart, etc delaminate for no apparent reasons. I still love ‘em, best $100 plus $50 for extra set of limbs, I got them all! But all that love does nothing for the absolute wonder of my new JK Bows Kanati!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 07:59:24 PM by JohnnyBa »

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:21:36 PM »
I bought one of these bows (longbow limbs) because I had heard so much good feedback on them and wanted to see for myself...and the price was very hard to beat.  After a fair amount of experimentation my impressions are:
-  It is of good design;
-  It is fairly well-made (esp. for the price);
-  Its very 'recurve-like' in feel, and quite fast for the weight (marked at 45#, scales at 49#);
-  It requires a high brace (8-8.25") for best performance, and;
-  Its probably the loudest bow I've ever shot (and that's alotta bows, lol). 

The stock string was awful...may as well have come with nylon clothesline.  The rest was wierd and cheap, reminded me of the stuff that falls off dollar store Halloween costumes.  But even with a good D97 string, a decent rest and LOTS of tuning effort this bow simply lives to be loud...and requires mega steps to get it quiet.  As in 'stick a rag between it's teeth and duct tape it's mouth shut' kind of steps.   

But now it's finally very quiet, with two baseball-sized yarnball silencers, yarn string braids over both string loops and camo cloth bow sleeves secured firmly over each limb with multiple rubber rings.  Yup, I gagged it up to the hilt.  BUT,  shoot a 630 grain wood arrow (love those wood arrows) out of it and the only noise is a feeble little 'thup'.  And despite all the trussing up at 20 yards or less it's very accurate.  I guess it learned it's lesson.  I call it 'Gagged and Bound'.  I don't think it likes that name, but what the heck.

So yup, brace height is a factor.    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 05:32:25 PM »
I bought one of these bows (longbow limbs) because I had heard so much good feedback on them and wanted to see for myself...and the price was very hard to beat.  After a fair amount of experimentation my impressions are:
-  It is of good design;
-  Its very 'recurve-like' in feel, and quite fast for the weight (marked at 45#, scales at 49#);

The stock string was awful...may as well have come with nylon clothesline.  The rest was wierd and cheap, reminded me of the stuff that falls off dollar store Halloween costumes.  But even with a good D97 string, a decent rest and LOTS of tuning effort this bow simply lives to be loud...and requires mega steps to get it quiet.  As in 'stick a rag between it's teeth and duct tape it's mouth shut' kind of steps.   

But now it's finally very quiet, with two baseball-sized yarnball silencers, yarn string braids over both string loops and camo cloth bow sleeves secured firmly over each limb with multiple rubber rings.  Yup, I gagged it up to the hilt.  BUT,  shoot a 630 grain wood arrow (love those wood arrows) out of it and the only noise is a feeble little 'thup'.  And despite all the trussing up at 20 yards or less it's very accurate.  I guess it learned it's lesson.  I call it 'Gagged and Bound'.  I don't think it likes that name, but what the heck.

Good write up but so odd how different folks find the same bow as totally different experiences. I have two Of these cheap hunters, 2 sets of lb limbs and 4 sets of ex limbs and have never experience anywhere near that level of frustration. Actually, after the myriad of reviews on those bows, none has come close to those bad remarks. A common thing with bows, in general of all of them, and this is my experience only, but the things that come with them, rests, strings, are almost 100% replaced by the new buyer or owner, so why do they even install. Anywho, I think the bow is great as long as you know the ins and outs of setup it’ll be a fine and quiet shooter, not gagged and bound. Funny description and name!

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 07:45:52 PM »
-  It is of good design;

If I try to raise my brace height to 7 3/4 or higher it gets noticiably louder.  And I couldn't even begin to twist the string enough to get it any higher.  Hopefully my SBD string arrives tomorrow.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 04:16:32 PM »
Joking aside, one thing to keep an eye on (at least on the bow I bought) is the limb bolts...I've noticed they tend to become looser over time (not fall-out loose, just a little looser) and that might well be enough to contribute to noise. 

Although the tuning attempts for this bow were high-level frustrating I have to say it now shoots very well even with all the added 'accouterments'.  Time will tell if it holds up, but for $109 and for the way it spits out a heavy arrow with quiet (now) authority and accuracy, I'm not going to complain too loudly. 

So to all you deers, sqwerls and bunnies out there this fall, beware the "Gagged and Bound" bow!  The mufflled thump of it's dressed-up string might well be the last thing you ever hear.  Unless of course it's accompanied by the thundering sound of exploding limbs and profuse swearing.   :biglaugh:   

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
I have the longbow version. Purchased as a strength trainer 10# heavier than my usual weight. It is my loudest bow with poor limb timing, ie handshock. Okay for what I need it for but will never hunt with it. I did change the string out after the first few shots and it helped.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 09:15:31 AM »
I have 3 BlackHunters ,all longbows, 1 with a SBD string ,quite but do not get the skinny string and the other two have Mercury strings, very loud! Stick with D97 .
Check the tiller on your Black Hunters there are all different, I agree the limbs are the weak point.
The risers are good design but need better quality limb bolts. Shot thru a big Minnesota buck with the 40 lb. one but will be using the Kanati again this year! Old faithful!
Black Hunters are OK but wish Kirk would start making limbs for them!

Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 09:32:50 AM »
Not just Kirk, but any bowyer out there could make a $ cloning those limbs with quality builds, long bow and recurve. Would tracing a static BH limb and making a form all there is to attaining a limb that shape? If so, I got limbs, and I know I could get better lama, wedges, and glass to make suitable limbs. But why, there should be peeps out there willing to fill this niche with better limbs, I assume some one that builds take down recurve or long bows could do it with minimal retooling. Am I wrong? Been there before……

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 09:20:02 PM »
I have 3 BlackHunters ,all longbows, 1 with a SBD string ,quite but do not get the skinny string and the other two have Mercury strings, very loud! Stick with D97 .
Check the tiller on your Black Hunters there are all different, I agree the limbs are the weak point.
The risers are good design but need better quality limb bolts. Shot thru a big Minnesota buck with the 40 lb. one but will be using the Kanati again this year! Old faithful!
When I ordered the SBD string, I also ordered a B55 string from Stilldub.  The B55 is much more quiet than the SBD or the stock string.  It shot extremely hard with the SBD but arrows were really weak.  The B55 is the ticket.  Slower but quiet and shoots great. 

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 09:25:38 PM »
I think you're right Coach....
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 05:55:56 AM »
Not sure why we all have different “notions” on noise, that really is a subjective thing. My loud ain’t yours etc. Yes, all(or most) stock strings suck, as do tests and plates, but once those are discarded and replaced with quality stuff it is better. I twist my own strings, pull about 42 lbs and have had the same level of quietness from B55(16 strand) D97(14 strand) and Mercury(24strands). I just like the D97 way better for shootability and speed, good balance. I only use wool puffs or any fur strip. No fuzzy stuff covering limb grooves, again, a fine bow, we just need someone to make some decent limbs. I am in for trying to make a form and clone a set but I know there are those out there that are much better prepared for this task.😁

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 12:41:07 PM »
If you think the Black Hunter is groovy, you ain't seen the ILF Black Hunter, it is divine.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »
If you think the Black Hunter is groovy, you ain't seen the ILF Black Hunter, it is divine.
Got that too, both RC and LB limbs as well. Really sweet but in the end, it just can’t touch the sweetness of a Big Foot Flatline or a JK Kanati! I have yet to find my sweet spot recurve other than my Satori clone. Not sure what a real one weighs(riser) but this TBow clone has got some mass!

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2023, 05:14:31 PM »
Bottom line, put the arrow where it needs to go and any bow is a winner. There was a thread here recently of someone using a Samick Sage to take a nice Bear.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2023, 05:23:24 PM »
GROOVY!!! Now I ain't heard that one in awhile, NEET.
Very hard to beat a Kanati.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2023, 05:29:49 PM »
I'm old what can I say  :shaka:

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2023, 09:06:24 PM »
Check out the classifieds and get a good bow, lots of deals on quality bows ....  :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©