3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who’s waiting on their first animal with traditional equipment?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many of you are waiting on you first traditional kill? The summer is winding down and you all should be tuned in and ready. For me my first traditional kill was over 30 years ago but it’s still fresh in my mind. It was actually a squirrel. That was a huge confidence builder. I killed a fork horn Whitetail about a week later. I remember the excitement and the buildup to that moment like it was yesterday. There was no internet so I had to watch every video and read every issue of TBM that I could get my hands on as I delved into traditional bowhunting. I always love to talk to guys who are sticking with it, and hunting hard that are waiting for their first!  Good luck to you all
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online dbeaver

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who’s waiting on their first animal with traditional equipment?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »
I am waiting on my first traditional kill.  I am behind on prep but i know what im lacking and where i need to keep up.  I also believe I'll have the ability to recognize when it comes to taking a shot Im not ready for.  Ive only been involved in any hunting for the past two years and not much of it; but my research and knowledge acquired have got to meet wisdom and experience in the field this season.  Im behind but dont think i will miss out.  I've also only built and shot my own bows so when the day comes it will be so wholesome.  Ive not gotten into any clubs because of my own time constraints and i have no one in my circle that hunts or even shoots archery, so when the first trad kill comes this fall i will be posting here and thanking all for the information that i gleaned from all who share.

Online jimmytidmore

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 11:06:19 AM »
Me. I’ve dabbled with traditional bows for a few years, hunted with them a bit without any luck, though—usually from the ground with a 7-9 year old boy by my side. But I’m going to give it a serious go this year. In fact, I may not even get the rifle out of the safe (except for a hunt I’ve got scheduled up in Maine).

Earlier this summer, I was fortunate to win the St. Jude’s bear/hog/deer hunt with Terry Green. That’s coming up soon and getting ready for it has me shooting better than I ever have.

All that to say, I’m going to do what I can to make this the year it finally happens. I’ve gotten a great deal of help from this forum and the people on it. You all will be among the first to hear about it if/when things come together.

Online Swamp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 06:51:29 PM »
I'm still working towards my first traditional kill. I don't have much opportunities at deer where I hunt so I'm preparing for chasing small game this season instead. Been enjoying shooting traditional for a long time and looking forward to more time in the woods chasing squirrels this year. Good luck to everyone working towards thier goals for the season!

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 07:25:29 PM »
Me as well. I have killed, as a kid, both bird, all dove, and squirrel, but after HS, 23 years in USAF, another 16 with LMCO supporting the same USAF, I never hunted again. I find myself at the age of 62 ready to remedy that. My hope these next weeks will bring an opportunity for squirrel, there is plenty, on my home property. I have way higher hopes for some local deer and turkey in the future. I have heard that there are hogs here to hunt, but my dog Buckley and I cover many miles out in the woods and I have never seen sign. I will be ready though, when the opp arises!

Offline MadTrad

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 09:36:21 PM »
First for me as well.

Didn’t pick up a stick bow until this year. Opener is a month away and I’ll harvest animals this year with a stick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©