3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still hunting for squirrels  (Read 777 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Still hunting for squirrels
« on: September 10, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »
I learned to still hunt for squirrels quite by accident.
This one day I was having some difficulty seeing a blood trail of a deer I had shot so I was bent over and moving slow a step at a time finding a spot hear and there when I caught movement to my left about 10 feet to my left. It was a Fox Squirrel with his head under the leaves.
I nocked an arrow and added a squirrel to the days harvest.
So a few weeks later I decided to try to still hunt for squirrels. To my surprise, it worked very well and the shots we mostly on the ground and very close.
I limited out that day and I was only hunting for a couple hours.
If you are a squirrel hunter, you should give it a try. :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still hunting for squirrels
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 05:28:41 PM »
Neat idea, never thought of that
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 05:59:45 PM »
Yaa its a good wat to get them for sure.I get close to alot of squirrels while still hunting for deer.Gotta go painstakingly slow.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 07:54:07 PM »
Hunted squirrels that way all my life until recently when I just ran out of places to hunt squirrels. 

Just move along slow and you can often spot (or hear) them cutting a long way off. Then you can put the sneak on them. They can really shake those branches around. Back when my hearing was better I almost always heard them before I spotted them. Now it doesn't do me much good to hear them...everything sounds like it's coming from the right. LOL I just stand there turning in circles trying to figure out which direction to take up.

Depending on what they're cutting and the time of year sometimes they're low or on the ground and sometimes they're so high you might not even be able see them. I like to hunt them with a bow when they're spending a lot of time on the ground...that's usually when the nuts are on the ground.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 10:57:30 PM »
Another interesting thing about this hunting method, it doesn't seem to matter what clothing you are wearing.
I have done this wearing a red flannel shirt with a orange safety vest. ( because I was hunting on state land and the law requires it ).
I think the squirrels don't realize that your not a deer or something.
Buy the way, this method works good for rabbits as well, but it's slightly different, the rabbits get nervous when you are not moving and my theory is, they think you have spotted them and they will bolt.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 07:40:49 AM »
I’ve had the same technique work for turkey as well. Was going slow and careful looking for morels and every now and the letting out a soft cut with the diaphragm call. Big tom walked up on me! I think the big lesson is to go slow and the noise you make sounds like an animal doing animal things. That is the pace you need ti still hunt and how to move.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 09:03:51 AM »
IT'S THE MOST FUN EVER!  My favorite.  Honestly for me if the squirrels are abundant I'd rather do that than deer hunt!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©