3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cedar success!  (Read 682 times)

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cedar success!
« on: September 18, 2023, 09:34:01 PM »
Hey All! I'm on top of the traditional mountain right now! I'm coming back from a 30yr hiatus, it started when there was still snow on the ground this year. My second oldest daughter had been pining for a bow, and when I cave I go big! So I bought a few old Bear recurves for my 4 girls and myself. 3 of them have really took to it and one is going hunting with me this fall. I basically started from scratch with all things traditional, its been a great time and a steep learning curve as well. I shoot regularly 5-6 days a week. Once I found the cedar that was right for each and every bow things really got FUN! Anyhow I tried just about every tuning and tweaking thing I could glean from some local trad guys as well as online. I'm feeling really lucky to have gotten so far in such a short time! Just today I finally tuned in my hunting shafts, they were the same stiffness and length as my daily practice arrows that I've used for quite some time. Mounted broad heads briefly in mid summer and shot them a bit but I don't think I was quite as in tune with what was happening as I am now. I started seeing random fliers with a sideways tail kick also that was probably there earlier in the spring\summer when I initially tried the broad heads, but now that I really am shooting the field points proficient and I switched to broad heads it was obvious that some tuning was in order. I spent all day today messing with clocking nocks and broadheads..at dinner I was still scratching my head with wicked Flyers occasionally.. And then it hit me..time to shorten em A bit, the heads are the same weight but longer than the field points,so I surmised that it gave the same weight a little more leverage against the spine..weather that's the case or they just needed stiffer I guess its a moot point now. I shortend one shaft 1\4" and shot it with no ill effects. But the odd flight wasn't there either..so the next arrow one got 3\8" taken off, and then I got brave and did a few. Amazing stable flight! I can rest now...what a day!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:41:40 PM by Michpatriot »

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar success!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 10:14:34 PM »
Gotta love woodies...hope your girls git the bug like you do...stoke the fire dad!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar success!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 10:25:40 PM »
Oh they are smitten with the bows for sure! We all shoot together just about every day..and my 9yr old is set on going with me for Whitetails in a couple weeks, we just got her Zwicky Eskimo weighted with lead to match the 160gr field points she's been shooting all spring and summer...Even got some wool goodness coming from Theresa over at Asbell wool coming for us both! Can't wait to hit the woods! My 11yr old wants to go after little critters shooting off the knuckle and the 5 yr old loves sneaking around pretending the bales are a deer! So fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©