3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Regarding "Legend and Pioneer" Dan Quillian  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Floridaman205321

• Trad Bowhunter
Regarding "Legend and Pioneer" Dan Quillian
« on: September 21, 2023, 08:45:00 PM »
Hello,  I am posting this here because it appears that there have been no conversation in Dan's thread for over a decade.  I came across several hundred VHS tapes recently, and one is a tape titled: "Shooting the Bow in the Traditional Style". 

Additionally, it appears to be signed by Mr. Dan.  I wanted to learn about this man, so I took my time reading some posts about him.  If anyone knows of friends or family that would like this VHS tape, I will gladly send it to a more deserving owner. RIP.
Cheers, -A

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Regarding "Legend and Pioneer" Dan Quillian
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 09:30:06 PM »
Nice offer

Hap

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »
I met him at a Howard Hill shoot in Wilsonville, Alabama.   One tough man and a pleasure to talk to.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:46:57 PM »
I think that's his Gull longbow in the picture?Cool looking bow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 05:06:25 PM »
Dan was best friends with the man who taught me how to shoot when I was 8 years old, Mr. Deacon Baliew( Who was responsible for the origination of the five spot target) Man at the stories he told me about their hunting adventures.

Dan was the reason that Georgia got a statewide bow hunting season.... It's a very famous story in Georgia about him challenging the governor of the state at the state fair against his 30.06 rifle against a sandbag. Dan won with his 70# longbow, and GA got a state wide bowseason .

It's really sad, what is being lost by the younger generations because of facebook, you toob and instagram just wanting to be famous on their own. They have no clue or care about the history of where we came from.  This is also during the pre hunting over a feeder Era where men had to learn how to put the puzzle together instead of just sitting over bait.  Sorry if that offends you, you find another site.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bobby Sikes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 05:29:26 PM »
 :campfire:

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 09:02:53 AM »
Yes!!!! Tell it!!! Bring those feeder "shooters" to a SC Swamp and see how they fair without a barrel.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »
 :campfire:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 06:56:36 PM »
When I first got into trad archery (early 1990's), Dan outfitted me with a Longhunter Longbow, quiver, tab, and appropriate arrows. He was always very helpful if I had any question - over phone, or during occasional visit to his store in Athens, GA. In the store, there was a mounted Grizzly Dan had taken later in life (I think when Dan was in his late-60's).

I used to have that exact VHS tape. Dan was a heavy bow advocate. I was searching for old reprint of articles by Dan in my attic yesterday. In articles, Dan told how one day he was tired of fussing with his inconsistent release, and told how in target archery the craze was shooting lighter and lighter bows (sound familiar?). On spur of moment, he ordered him a heavy bow - seems like 65 lbs or similar. He killed (I think) 5-6 deer that season, according to his recollection.

Later in life, Dan was recovering after a heart attack. He said he would shoot an arrow (from heavy bow) and retrieve the arrow & sit down and rest. Then a few minutes later shoot another arrow and repeat. Yesterday, I pulled a heavy bow from my rack and tried Dan's shoot, retrieve arrow, and rest routine. I managed to shoot that heavy bow fairly well (for me).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 07:04:09 PM by WDELongbow »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 07:01:10 PM »
I am fixing to send off to do some conversions. So if this VHS is still available, I would love to have it and convert it to where it's available to everyone.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 07:05:46 PM »
I'd love to have a copy of Dan's VHS tape. Or, an alternative might be to digitize and share via Google Drive, DropBox, etc.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 11:40:56 PM »
The evening hunt was over, and I had only seen one doe too far off for a shot.  The path I was on forked in with another path coming in from the south.  There was only one other hunter on this particular piece of public ground just west of Stillwater, OK that night and I met up with him where the trails joined back together.  He was carrying a recurve and had a back quiver full of arrows.  I was carrying a compound that I had purchased the previous year to start bow hunting. We talked about our hunt that night and what we had seen on the property that season thus far.  I asked him if I could see his recurve and he handed it to me.  I set my compound on the ground beside me and admired his weapon of choice.  It felt so light, and the grip was so natural in the hand.  I drew it back to anchor a couple times and handed it back to him.  His bow was a Dan Quillian Patriot recurve.  When I picked my bow back up it seemed a heavy clunky mechanistic mess.  We walked back to our trucks and bid farewell.  On the way home that night I decided I had to have one of those bows.  Being pre internet days I wasn't able to find a Patriot, but I did find an ad in a magazine for Bob Lee bows and ordered a Signature.  The next season was my third-year bow hunting and my first with traditional tackle.  I never hunted with a compound again.  I'm grateful to that fella for being open and kind and lighting the fire in me.  I'd love to see the Dan Quillian shooting video.  I do still have a VHS player but if Terry or someone will convert to DVD or some digital format, please add me to the list of recipients and if funds are needed to cover shipping or conversion let me know.       

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 01:25:59 PM »
I called him one time and asked if his bows were center shot.   He laughed out loud.   Really a one of a kind man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©