3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt recurves in the olympics and hunting  (Read 746 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt recurves in the olympics and hunting
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
I was watching some olympic shooting and the majority of shooters were using Hoyt recurves.  

I was wondering what Hoyt has done with their recurves to get such a good reputation internationally and to be used in the olympics. I seldom hear about them on here.

I know they produce the Game Master, but I just don't hear many people talking about them.  Is it quietly one of the better recurves out there?

Just curious if you guys have any input.

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt recurves in the olympics and hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
The Gamemaster is a good shooting bow...most of the metal-riser bows are.

I suspect the way it looks keeps some folks from being interested in it.  I had one and although it was a good shooter I shoot my Bob Lee take-downs better.

I would like to try the new bow that Hoyt is making called the Dorado.  It doesn't have the crossbar "thing" going form the top-to-bottom of the riser.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
The bows you are talking about are ILF target bows.There many different brands Hoyt included used as such.

Any ILF target bow could be used for hunting with proper camo and if length wasn't an issue.There are some shorter risers being produced now that has led to more interest in ILF limbs and hunting length risers.

They are all just bows to me, but there are other sites more dedicated to metal risers and target bows.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
like rh said. there are many brands....one good thing about the hoyt gamemaster and dorado is you can buy a fitting to use any ilf limb. this allows a ton of options....which i'm sure mr.clark knows all too well:) and all i can say is that my hoyt recurves shoot great and the cross bar doesnt really bother me.
BRANDON B.
Hoyt Gamemaster II 52# @ 26"
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @ 26"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
There Dorado recurve is new for this year, sales have been brisk!  :)more like a real recurve , a welcome from that gosh awful Gamemaster!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Shot a Hoyt Helix with the "old" G3 carbon limbs. Sans stab and sights though, Superthin 70m target arrows probly 200grs! Damn good bow to put it carefully.

Anyone know if one can put ILFs on the Dalaa?

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
KrEn
ILF's are what the Dalaa uses.They have just had the ILF bushing replaced with a threaded bushing.The 21" Dalaa can be had with either ILF or DAS attachment system.

You can buy the replacement bushings from the DAS site for $16.There are also instructions there on how to press out the ILF bushings and press in the DAS bushings.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
yeah and now you can get ilf longbow limbs....so you got even more options.

btw bayou-why do you think the gamemaster is a bad recurve. i know they usually pull heavier than listed but mine really shoot well. even got another guy to go buy one just from spending the evening shooting one of mine. but i also like the dorado it does look more "trad" than the tec riser. but the tec riser was built to be a very rugged and stable riser, that has really grown on me.
BRANDON B.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by bailebr3:
yeah and now you can get ilf longbow limbs....so you got even more options.

btw bayou-why do you think the gamemaster is a bad recurve. i know they usually pull heavier than listed but mine really shoot well. even got another guy to go buy one just from spending the evening shooting one of mine. but i also like the dorado it does look more "trad" than the tec riser. but the tec riser was built to be a very rugged and stable riser, that has really grown on me.
I'm with ya.  :thumbsup:  
I have'nt shot as many bows as some, but of the ones i have, my GM II still wins me over.
I think it looks terrific. jmho  :archer:
Steve.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
yeah it seems some like them and others dont....the funny thing is my draw length is 26" and since the gamemasters are usually heavier at 28" than listed.....well wouldnt you know my 50#(labeled) is actually 52# at my draw and the 45#(labeled) is 46#at my draw so to me they fit perfect:)

BTW-i am still in love with my old '74 bear k mag though...just something about it
BRANDON B.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Gotta' love those old k-mags! A k-mag is what switched me over to recurves.  I'm still eyeing an A&H ACS though.

It would be easier if I could just own one of everything, then I could stop looking! Don't know where I would get the money though.

Thanks for the info guys.
-Charlie

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
I'm one of those longbow hunting guys who considers my 3pc Bob Lee Signature recurve w/ its cut past center shelf, pistol grip, and CNC fit limbs to be in the same category as a compound bow. When I look at a CNC machined Olympic style recurve w/ the plethora of precision fit add hock components, I think of it as "Archery-In-A-Box" along the lines of an erector set. At some point, these precision marvels crossed the line from being a bow to becoming a machine. I do find character and life in a good handling hunting stickbow, this is absent in a machine bow.

Daddy Bear

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I just took a quantum leap from my straight-limbed longbows and got a new Hoyt Dorado, and I'm blown away. Its one helluva shooter; quiet, fast, and a point-and-hit bow... I simply love this thing.

With that said, I can see what Daddy Bear is saying. I do miss the warm feel of wood and leather, and everything that goes hand in hand with it. A machined riser just doesn't have it. Does that make it a compound? Not by a long shot.

For right now, the Hoyt is the way to go for me. Its not a purist's stickbow, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Does it make me less of a traditional bow hunter? Maybe to some, but again, that doesnt bother me in the least.

To each his own...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Daddy Bear
Shoot whatever you like and,"PLEASE",let everyone else shoot whatever makes them happy.

You will make a lot more friends if you don't go around telling folks they might as well shoot a compound.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
i wouldnt call them machine bows. yes they do have all the holes for sights,rest,stabilizer etc..but you can choose to shoot them just like any other barebow....thats what i do w/ all of my bows. i shoot no sights and off the shelf. and just b/c my bows have a metal riser doesnt make them machines or " ARCHERY IN A BOX. there are no wheels or mechanical devices used and i still find character and joy watching the flight of my arrows to the target..knowing that i can shoot that well with a bow with no sights or mechanical release...thats what it is all about
BRANDON B.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
I'm one of those longbow hunting guys who considers my 3pc Bob Lee Signature recurve w/ its cut past center shelf, pistol grip, and CNC fit limbs to be in the same category as a compound bow. When I look at a CNC machined Olympic style recurve w/ the plethora of precision fit add hock components, I think of it as "Archery-In-A-Box" along the lines of an erector set. At some point, these precision marvels crossed the line from being a bow to becoming a machine. I do find character and life in a good handling hunting stickbow, this is absent in a machine bow.

Daddy Bear  
Wow, that is a bit extreme IMHO.  A recurve, whether wood or metal in the same category as a compound bow?  These 'machine bows' you speak of used in the Olympics are not much different than any other traditional bow.  Wood, glass, carbon, etc. are all used in the construction of ILF limbs as well as the 'stickbows'.  I'm sorry, but if there aren't wheels it's not a compound 'machine'.  

As to 'Archery in a box', that is a huge stretch to make.  The shooter makes the shot, not the equipment.  The skills one needs to accurately shoot an Olympic bow are no different than those required to shoot a Howard Hill longbow.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
back to the gamemaster...the only thing that I didn't like about the one that I had was that the grip rubbed a blister on the top of my thumb.  After an extended shooting session or a day of 3d it was painful.

Other than that it was dead on the shot, good speed and with a mtn. mufflerstrig and DAS limb pads was a very quiet bow.

the riser and limbs were painted flat black and I thought it was a cool looking bow.  I would like to get one of the newer models that have the replacement grip options.

I do like the looks of the Dorado

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
"...I just don't hear many people talking about them." "Just curious if you guys have any input." -buckeye_hunter

I was just giving my input as to why I'm not attracted to this style of bow for my prefered style of archery hunting. It has no bearing on the personal preferences of others. Some may prefer a compound, some may prefer a spear.

Where in the world did you pull the "might as well shoot a compound" statement from? I keep my Bob Lee as a starter bow to introduce compound shooters to shooting recurves. It is so easy to shoot well that I call it "my compound". But, I prefer selfbows and longbows for hunting. If given the choice between rifle and bow, I prefer bow. If given choice between recurve and longbow, I prefer longbow. I only offered my input as to why I make those choices while distancing myself from this Olympic style bow. Your satisfaction with your archery is based on your choices, not mine. I'm not insulting your personal preference no more than your choice insults those who choose a rifle.

Daddy Bear

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Easy fellas!

I appreciate all input and opinions.  As always, lets just promote archery(regardless of bow choice) and let the antis try to seperate us and not do it to ourselves!!!

This is simply about what Hoyt is doing and why their bows are used so extensively in the olympics.  

Heck, PSE makes a recurve with a machined riser as well, but I haven't seen many of them in olympic competition.

What is the real or percieved advantage Hoyt has created?

Again, thanks for all input.
-Charlie

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Daddy Bear
The whole problem with these forums is that we can't hear the tone of each other's comments.

I'm sorry If I took yours the wrong way.I really should not have singled you out as one of the group I was speaking to.I guess I've been defending metal risers too long and have heard the "might as well shoot a compound" too many times.I know that is not what you said.I just ASSUMED that was your attitude and I'm sorry for that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©