3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt recurves in the olympics and hunting  (Read 747 times)

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt recurves in the olympics and hunting
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
All is good:)

I've hunted w/ longbows and selfbows for over 34years, but I'm brand new to these internet archery forums. I'm unfamiliar w/ all the running gun battles that may have taken place over archery tackle and styles. I'm trying to better develop my egg shell walking skills on some of these topics as there appears to be a sleeping beast that is easily awakened. Maybe I misunderstood the original post as I took it to be reference the lack of hoopla on these Hoyt bows outside the circles of Olympic style target archery, especially on forums that may lean more towards hunting w/ traditional archery tackle. That was the angle I came from.

Me personally, I always get more out of archery hunting the simpler my tackle and the more involved I get in making my tackle. I think this is why you'll see more hoopla over home build trad archery projects and unique one of a kind tackle vs cookie cutter CNC precision tackle amongst those who like to hunt w/ longbows.

I'm sure my osage hunting selfbow I made from a felled tree would be a big flop in some Olympic archery circles.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Daddy Bear
I like selfbows and olympic target bows.I think there are a lot of folks that feel the same way.I can get just as excited over a really nice stave as a top end set of ILF limbs.

Back to the subject though.I think that Hoyt is one of the biggest and oldest producers of target bows which is why you see so many of them in these events.I don't know that they are any better or worse than any others.I do know Hoyt has hade some problems with customer service recently.Some folks have not been able to get limbs,parts, risers or whatever in a timely fashion.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Buckeye,
  I believe the reason that you see Hoyt so prevalently in the Olympic circuit is from a couple of things. Hoyt was one of the first companies to design recurves of that particular style and most other target bows are adapted from Hoyts designs. Hoyt has always been good at getting their bows into the hands of top shooters as well, through sponsorships and the like. Overseas target archery is much bigger than here in the US and Hoyt pushes hard in that area. In fact, I've often heard it is easier and faster to get a Hoyt Oly style bow in Europe than here.

In regards to the Gamemaster I've owned several of them. I've shot them setup stock, with various ILF limbs, off the shelf, and decked out. It is extremely versatile and a very accurate shooting bow.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I ordered a new Dorado Black Riser and 40#. They said I could get 62" limbs when I called the factory. I shot one and it was smooth and a 1916 realy zips a arrow. This type of bow has many options for one type of bow. Now if they just made longbow limbs for it from Hoyt.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
you can get longbow limbs for it thru lancaster archery or tradtech. the bushing you get is 16 bucks and the limbs are going for $180(i believe).....not trying to advertise here. i saw a set on a guys gamemaster on another site. the bow was 66" overall and around 60#. pretty cool lookin to boot:)
BRANDON B.
Hoyt Gamemaster II 52# @ 26"
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @ 26"

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Have shot Hoyt's since 1975. They have always made bows of good quality recurves or compounds. I think over the years they have proven to be a huge name in the archery world. I'm shooting the GameMaster and the Dorado now and enjoy both of these bows both 3-d and hunting. It seems alot of shooters buy new bows and don't keep them long enough to learn how to shoot the bow. I think it takes time and alot of shooting to learn your bow.For the price you can't go wrong with the Hoyt traditional bows.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
I own a GM and really like it.  The grip fits my shooting style (I must be an alien from the looks of it) as I usually prefer very thin grips.  Certainly not as pretty as my longbows or other recurves, but it got the job done this fall with no problems.  It doesn't look as tradition as some bows, but it's certainly there in spirit.
Support the sport!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
When Earl had the Hoyt co. he promoted the Olympic style of archery more then hunting and a large part of his business was over the big eastern pond. I would guess that 75% of his sales were over seas. The company that produces them now followed through with this practices.
Charlie Lamb could talk more on this.
I was Earl's Destruction engineer. If I couln't break it it was good to go. Earl had my brother and I dry fire one of his bows 175 times by hand @ 30" Never did hurt it.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
More and more archers are now using korean made bows in Olympic style archery  nowadays,World up,World Championships and the Olympic results would show this.Hoyt has been having breakage issues in the last couple of years,funny thing is the two Hoyt limbs I bought used in '91 are still with me and still going strong and I can still use them on my FITA bow or my warfed hoyt td3 handle(check out my lone warf thread  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068002)  which was "the" Olympic bow of the 70's.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Least you think FITA bows are just another pretty face, they ain't.  they can hunt for a living too  :)

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/gobow

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
btw ya got your arrowmaster quiver on one side, ya got your w&w NX Xtra on the other.  Can ya guess what those white things inbetween them are for?    :)

rusty

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Rusty we both know if it can fling an arrow with authority it can kill something so long as the operator does their part. The rest is just a style choice    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
Vermon - too true.  speaking of rest.  I really like a spring rest on the fita risers for hunting.  the 3/32" heat shrink tube will just shrink down to cover the spring.   ya can take it part way around the first curve of the spring.  makes it quiet.  in a pinche i have warped the spring with plumbs tape to get a quiet draw from the springy rest.

rusty

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Rusty,

Are those white things for praying?   :knothead:    :pray:    They are kneepads ,right?Do you use them for stalking on your knees?Funny you mention the spring rest, my warf had a small cushion plunger and a spigarelli rest but I replaced it with pads,the rest had a funny sound when shot with aluminum arrows,but i just like shooting barebow off the shelf. Is that a G3 with your NX?

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
I bought a Game Master 3 years ago and love it. The pic on my handle shows my game master with the bear I shot. Yes it has all the plumbing to put whatever you want on it; sights, quivers, counter weights, different rests, etc. but I like it the way it came.

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
i have the gamemaster and it's a very good bow. i shoot it very often.

i feel the mounting system could be better for the limbs, though. maybe like the lee or palmer take downs. i think that would aid in quieting the bow considerably.

overall, the bow does provide a good platform for almost any application an archer/bowhunter chooses.

i personally prefer to shoot off the shelf with it...works fine.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Meaning this in a friendly way it's "ad hoc" not "add hock", latin class over, back to archery!!

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
A lot of the US and European archers seem to prefer Hoyt's but the Koreans shoot Samick or Win & Win and we know who's doing the winning.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
I just like pretty woods.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
i have a gamemaster2 and i love the way it shoots. i have shot widows and even a DAS but i just cant get use to anything but the hoyt.....plus they seem to be bullet proof:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©