3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this true?!!!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this true?!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »
We practice long for 3D.  I shoot out to 40 yards every day during 3D season.  After hunting season. 
Prepping for and during season I shoot 12 to 17 yards.  Out to 22 maybe 3 shots a session.  I look for ditch crossings, trails at timber and field corners, funnels at hedge rows.  Set up close or split between trails where the come together. YMMV
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 11:08:56 AM »
I have killed right around 150 whitetails with traditional equipment. I can't think of any that were beyond 15 yards. Most were more like 10 feet.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline roundup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 02:53:04 PM »
I have killed a couple of hundred deer and bear with traditional equipment, average was about 15 yards. Most were from ground blinds, a few from low ( 10-12 feet ) stands. 22 yards is about max unless a follow up shot after a hit, then anything goes.

Offline Kyle85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 07:20:41 PM »
OK Cap'n Kirk, the approximate answer appears to be "Yes" it is true.  Is this what you expected or did you think it was different?

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 08:36:48 PM »
OK Cap'n Kirk, the approximate answer appears to be "Yes" it is true.  Is this what you expected or did you think it was different?

Quite honestly, Kyle, I expected to hear most trad hunters tell me they were making kill shots at longer distances and I'm very surprised at the frank honesty of the gang here. It's made me realize the issue is not as much about the distance as it is getting the deer to get within that distance of less than 30 yards. I guess that's why we call it hunting rather than shooting!
I've watched some very good trad shooters make some amazing shots as far out as 50-60 yards on a 3D course and wondered if I needed to up the game on my longer shots. From the article I read and the responses here, the answer is clearly "no; work on your setup and calling skills".
Aim small,miss small

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 09:05:34 PM »
I have taken a few critters over the years, an elk at two yards, a moose and several whitetail at four yards, my longest shot, another moose at 28 yards. Most of my tree stands are setup for 8-15 yards shots.  I rarely take a shot at a game animal over 15 yards.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 09:53:46 PM »
I've shot an Antelope and Mulie doe at about 30 yds. Everything else has been 20 and under. I set my stands for 15 yds max and like 10 better.

I passed a 40yd shot at a B&C Bighorn Ram, wide open broadside, back when I was still shooting heavy poundage. I know I could have hit him but...
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2023, 11:07:55 AM »
Most experienced trad bowhunters with many kills under their belt have learned that around 15 yards and less are the shots that bring home the game and increase the likelihood of humane and quick kills. I know I have learned that the hard way over the years.....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2023, 09:36:30 PM »
All mine been under 20 easily. and the majority 15 and under. Quite a few under 10 too. All from stands 12-15 feet up. I look for thick thick cover.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©