3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman Broadhead???  (Read 454 times)

Offline Dutch152

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman Broadhead???
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
I've been thinking of using the Woodsman broadhead this year.

What do you guys think of this BH? Should I get something with a bigger cutting area or is the 1" hole it gives okay?

Give me some education on broadheads.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman Broadhead???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
WW's are very good heads... I'm a big fan of 3-blades... there is some modification you can do to the WW's.... file down tips & back ends of the 3-blades.

I found that the 3-blade is a easier BH to sharpen... just need a good metal file. Others will chime in and tell you more...

Offline john4645

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I have shot a few animals with it and i like them alot. I never modified the tip and never had trouble with it. I sharpened them only with a file and they got sharp enough. with that said I am going back to grizzlies (for the second time) mainly for weight. I now am using 160 grns tips

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
I used them all last season and never had a problem. I've heard people say the tip will bend but none of my hunting buddies have had that problem.

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Great heads, excellent penetration and blood trials.  I do file the tip down a bit because they will bend.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Great Broadhead!!!

Bill

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Love 'em! Always one in my quiver.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I hear lots of good things about them from some really good hunters.  Bonner and I both tried them two years ago and did not have a "positive" experience.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I like em!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
yip they are great heads, very easy to sharpen once you get the edges flat and i also file down the tip.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Not a fan of them at all.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
They are very good after you try them you will find out what others and myself have they are killing machines fly great and are easy to sharpen with a good file then a stone   :bigsmyl:
Gord

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Have used them as 125 grain, on deer with good results, lost a hog using one.  Grizzlies, Hill's zwickey, magnus are great.  will be trying the new steel force traditional glue on, kinda similar to Hill and grizzly

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
53lbs@27" 615gr carbon arrow....pushes them through whitetails and into the dirt.  My favorite head by far.

Woodsman for deer, Snuffer 160's for turks, two things that will never change for me.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Look at them and compare and think.  Using the two expremes a WW and a 160 gr snuffer.  Why would you want to put a (your concerm exactly) a 1 inch whole in a whitetail when you could put a 1.5 inch whole (1 15/16's whole)?  Your average shot is 17 yds so accuracy (and penetration) is not an issue.

On the other hand, if your hunting elk, moose, or brown bear with a possibility of a longer shot and a penetration issue and you want to shoot a 3 blade, it's your only choice.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
iv killed probley  10 elk a couple bears  a moose , sheep several deer   with them and several hogs    for me woodsman or snuffers are the only broad head you will find in my box  wouldnt trade em for nothing espically for the big tough one s that can eat me and scratch back
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Look at them and compare and think. Using the two expremes a WW and a 160 gr snuffer. Why would you want to put a (your concerm exactly) a 1 inch whole in a whitetail when you could put a 1.5 inch whole (1 15/16's whole)? Your average shot is 17 yds so accuracy (and penetration) is not an issue.
IMO the 160 Snuffer is overall the worst penetrating cut on contact head made.   That does not mean they aren't a great head, you just need more bow and arrow.....

From my personal experience and being with friends who shoot a similar setup to mine, the 160 Snuffer does cause penetration issues under average shot yardages.  You better have some serious meat in those limbs and arrows if you're gonna expect 2 holes.  The 1" head will slip between ribs with little drag.  At the minimum the 1.5" head has to spread the ribs(intercostal) when going between.  I think that's where they really get slowed down, not to mention possibly committing to a rib.

My setup yields 36lbs of KE with a 615gr arrow.  I shoot the 160's for turks because they rarely pass through.  I love using them for turks just for that fact.

With that said, if I could accurately handle a heavier bow that could constantly make 2 holes with a 160, I'd never shoot another head....devestation!
  :)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Morning Star, I'm shooting the same weight bow. What arrow's are you shooting to get that much weight?

Thanks, Dave
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
What arrow's are you shooting to get that much weight?

Beman MFX Classics 400's 28 1/2" w/ 100gr brass HIT insert and 225gr tip weight.

615grain shaft....163fps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©