3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gear dump for all day hunt  (Read 888 times)

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gear dump for all day hunt
« on: October 05, 2023, 06:49:45 PM »
Man it's easy to get caught up in the first hunt preparation! Going to be out with my 9yr old daughter hunting tomorrow,.her first hunt ever. Lots to plan for, even a folding toilet chair with a shovel along. Strapped a little old turkey seat on her pack and a cut down tripod stool in my pack.
Got a rucksack with camo netting and cordage. Light Cook stove burner and pot for soup at midday. Bug nets and dope if it gets real bad but hope we don't need the stink spray. No real plan other than to hit the close public land an hour before light..and play the wind.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 09:40:46 PM by Cory Mattson »

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gear dump for all day hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »
Enjoy the time afield with your daughter. Stay safe and make great memories!
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:58:48 PM »
Man it's easy to get caught up in the first hunt preparation! Going to be out with my 9yr old daughter hunting tomorrow,.her first hunt ever. Lots to plan for, even a folding toilet chair with a shovel along. Strapped a little old turkey seat on her pack and a cut down tripod stool in my pack.
Got a rucksack with camo netting and cordage. Light Cook stove burner and pot for soup at midday. Bug nets and dope if it gets real bad but hope we don't need the stink spray. No real plan other than to hit the close public land an hour before light..and play the wind.

Lots of awesome state land near you....maybe 45 minutes west...we have killed some great bucks on state land in that area.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »
Good luck to you both!!! All I can say is keep it fun for her and she’ll keep wanting to go. Both my daughters went with me as much as they could until they go older and life caught up to them. They still get out when they can as work and kids allow. It seems like a lot of work prepping for them so they’re comfortable but it is well worth it. Enjoy your time they grow up way to quick!!!! 

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »
Yep lots of great public land west of here! Been going since I was my daughters age with my Dad and relatives .. Just got back to my roots this past spring at my daughters urging I bought a few old Bear recurves for my 4 daughters to try..3 of them have really taken to it and the 9yr old is serious about getting a deer!  One day soon I'm going to get afield with my dad who is 75 and all the girls for some small game trail walking. He's getting along with his 38# K mag I found for him this summer but health issues right now are keeping him home, but not for long..can't wait to get 3gen of bow hunters in the woods!  There's nothing like the rewards from instinctive traditional!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 11:20:59 PM by Michpatriot »

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 08:47:40 PM »
Good luck to you both!!! All I can say is keep it fun for her and she’ll keep wanting to go. Both my daughters went with me as much as they could until they go older and life caught up to them. They still get out when they can as work and kids allow. It seems like a lot of work prepping for them so they’re comfortable but it is well worth it. Enjoy your time they grow up way to quick!!!! 

Jason

I couldn't agree more! All I want is for her to have FUN!! She loves building forts and hide and seek so I figured she will just be in hog heaven making a ground blind and playing with all the hunting stuff!  I plan on spending the whole day just kinda letting her be her and going along for the ride..I have great memories from when I was her age building blinds and just having the time of my life following my old man around out in the sticks..

Joel

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »
Good luck to you and your daughter! Memories that will last a lifetime being made :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 09:35:41 PM »
Best wishes on a great day afield.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 08:40:25 AM »
Story and pics when ya get a chance  :wavey: hope u both have a super day  :thumbsup:

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 08:33:09 PM »
Well we had a fantastic day started out in the woods 1hr before sunup! And after a 1mile walk in the woods setup a camo net ground blind.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 09:41:33 PM by Cory Mattson »

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 08:36:56 PM »
At 10am we then headed out to the car still hunting for squirrel..we had a great time!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 09:41:59 PM by Cory Mattson »

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 08:41:14 PM »
By the time we got back to the car we realized that her boots were not up to the task.. So we headed over to a local sporting goods shop picked up a new set of boots and some smart wool socks then went and had lunch. With her footwear rejuvenated and ready for the woods again we drove an hour West to another state land plot,did some warm up with our flu flu's and judo points.
. And headed out for the evening hunt along some corn underneath some oak trees that were dropping. The sign was really good on the ground but right about prime time the sky opened up for a while and the wind picked up but it was a great evening hunt nonetheless.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 09:42:18 PM by Cory Mattson »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©