Author Topic: Yet another template sander conversion-questions?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
Yet another template sander conversion-questions?
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:35:39 PM »
I'm doing mental gymnastics with coming up for an efficient way to make my edge sander a template sander. I've got the grizzly tabletop 6x80 one. There's about 1.5" from motor to the base of the drive drum. My drum is flat in the center, with a taper solely about .75" from each end.

One thing I'm considering is a collar on a plate, made by a machinist friend. This I could bolt to the motor mounts. However, I've seen a few things about "pins" rather than bearings or collars. Can anyone elaborate on what that may look like? I'm struggling with this idea because a single or multiple pins, unless a full collar, would offer some void where the template could be pulled beyond the pin, if that makes sense.

Anyways, hoping to have an effective template sander from this unit within the next week. I'd be supremely grateful for any advice or how to on this! I've searched all I can on here and can't find anything that really answers what I'm looking for.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet another template sander conversion-questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
I I had a do over mine would be a pin or collar. I think  a person could figure how to put a small bearing on a pin. And not need a guide wheel at all. But a pin or collar will work fine. 
High on Archery.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 03:44:45 PM »
Here is Crooked stic setup

A bearing, same size as the drive roller with sand paper on would slide on the table much better.
I have a rub collar on mine and wish I had a bearing, but still works
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 03:57:44 PM »
Thank you guys, the question begs, where do I find a bearing 4.5" with a 1" inner diameter lol. I'm no machinist and I've never bought bearings for anything. Again, can't wrap my head around this, sorry for redundant questions.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 06:56:20 PM »
Your friend will have to machine a collar to press over the bearing :thumbsup:
Don't forget to add the thickness of the sand paper, I like 60 grit
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I'll certainly be discussing this with him, because a 1.5hp 220v belt sander moves a bit more efficiently than an old craftsman oscillating.

Today I got crafty, and have an old oscillating craftsman that I don't use for anything. I tore into it, and removed the oscillating function, and have made a drop in collar for it that'll work in the time being as a template sander. Did a few tests with it this morning and I'm very happy with it. Definitely though, I'm going to be exploring the grizzly much further, because that's what I want that machine for. Not much other use for it at this point beyond templating in my shop.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 01:36:47 PM »
Mine is a ridgid oscillating sander, I used the belt assembly only and have a spare too, they don't make the assembly anymore.

Spare

}}}}===============>>

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »
Max - I like that. Pending the cost of a 117mm bearing, I may do that to my ridgid (i've got the older version, not the orange one, the grey one), as I don't use it for much. I don't have a drill press though, so again, pending the cost of the bearing I may just buy a drill press LOL

Crooked Stic, why do you think you'd go the route of a pin rather than bearing given the option to do it again? A pin seems absurdly simple and like something I can do here without a machinist... but am I missing something as to why it's not a popular solution for folks?

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 08:01:28 AM »
The bearing should be cheep (40.00) get the biggest outside Diameter bearing (2-1/2" to 3")that fits the shaft on the moto
The edge sander would be much better than the Ridgid  :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
At today's prices the pin would be the cheaper way to go. Not that it would be better,
I will try to find the pics of my guide wheel today. It is not just a big bearing,
High on Archery.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 02:33:35 PM »
At today's prices the pin would be the cheaper way to go. Not that it would be better,
I will try to find the pics of my guide wheel today. It is not just a big bearing,

I don't understand the pin thing??
Are you talking about a piece of round rod the same size as the drive roller??
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 07:39:52 PM »
No just a rub pin placed under the drive drum on the table it would need to be center front and the same distance as the guide wheel or rub collar. If done right could even have a small bearing on it.  Rose Oak built a few years back using phenolic tables and rub pins.
High on Archery.

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 08:13:02 PM »
Crooked Stic - to clarify, you need to keep your piece real square to the pin throughout that operation though, correct? Because I'd think not having a collar and having a small pin, you'd be able to dig into the master template really really easily.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
That would be correct. So most would be better off with a collar or guide wheel.
High on Archery.

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 10:22:53 AM »
Got it. Now I can picture pretty easily what ya mean. I think a pin would the move for someone not doing it full time - or a hobbyist. Or, as a stop gap prior to a collar. I’m having a collar machined but I’m going to try a pin here soon then lol

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »
Here's a link to a post that may give you some insight into what others have done to make a pattern sander.
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=174357.new%3btopicseen#new
If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline derekdiruz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2023, 07:37:07 PM »
Robert, thank you. That thread is impeccable and explains all so well. Precisely what I'll be doing.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2023, 09:51:44 AM »
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I'll certainly be discussing this with him, because a 1.5hp 220v belt sander moves a bit more efficiently than an old craftsman oscillating.

Today I got crafty, and have an old oscillating craftsman that I don't use for anything. I tore into it, and removed the oscillating function, and have made a drop in collar for it that'll work in the time being as a template sander. Did a few tests with it this morning and I'm very happy with it. Definitely though, I'm going to be exploring the grizzly much further, because that's what I want that machine for. Not much other use for it at this point beyond templating in my shop.

You will find after a bit of use that doing pattern work on a spindle sander with exotic hardwoods that are tough on sand paper is not the way to go.

I had a machinist set up a bearing guide on my 80” edge sander many years ago and it’s definitely the best route. Yes… it’s more expensive to do, but far superior to a rub collar guide system and easier to use for precise pattern work. 

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 07:26:43 PM »
What Kirk said
and even the Hard Tungsten sleeve clogs up too.
The longer the sanding belt the better it works.
My Pattern sander posted above has a 24" long belt and I use it over and over.
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©