3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Had some luck….  (Read 1730 times)

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Had some luck….
« on: October 12, 2023, 04:32:00 AM »
When I was a kid, my dad used to always take us to a gun season deer camp. We loved it, and I have very fond memories of it. Like a lot of things in life though, that deer camp fell victim to the responsibilities of work, family, and a just a general conflict of schedules for people. So the last few years, a friend and myself have started our own October archery deer camp. He is still trying to get his 1st archery deer, but mainly enjoys the camping aspect more than anything else.

Last year we hunted in IL because of the availability of so much public land, and the fact that it’s only a 35 minute drive from my house in MO to get to camp. There’s a ton of national forest, and I love that because it give me room to roam and explore.

We decided to camp and hunt the same area this year. We would have a full week to hunt and camp in some nice weather. I came over this past Sunday, and he met me here midday on Monday. I was able to set up camp with my new to me enclosed trailer/camper on Sunday and get an evening hunt in.

I ended up getting on a buck Sunday while scouting, but I bumped him out of his bed and he didn’t show back up the rest of the evening. Monday morning I decided to try a new area that I was familiar with from hunting some from several years back. On the walk in the morning I ran into several deer. I was pleased with that since it at least gave me a good starting point. I didn’t see anything after setting up that morning, but I did some scouting afterwards and found some good buck sign that I felt needed to be hunted that day.

So after going back to camp and meeting up with my buddy, we decided to hunt the same area I had that morning. I had a spot picked for each of us since he had never been there before. Both had good buck sign, so I felt fairly confident we may see something…..
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Had some luck….
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:33:37 AM »
 :campfire: :coffee:

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
 :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »
Generally speaking, most hunters have a particular animal they would like to get at least once in their hunting career. For me, I’ve always dreamt about taking a big chocolate racked big woods buck. And do it while I’m in camp so that I get to have my hunting partners be part of the experience. Just a dream that’s always had a real strong hold on me.

The spot I set up in really had a lot going for it. A really steep ridge system had a point dropping down right in front of me. Leading into that point was a hard transition line that was fairly thick and lead into a big wide draw. I could tell that the deer were coming out of this big thick draw and out into the more open bottom at night. There were extremely fresh rubs and scrapes along the transition.

As I sat there enjoying the evening, I heard deer running. Two deer (appeared to be does) went by at about 65 yards in the thicker stuff. A few moments later I could hear a couple grunts back in that draw. I didn’t think too much of it really. Didn’t sound to be really deep grunts. I just figured maybe some little buck was feeling his oats and those does wanted no part of it.

It was fairly quiet until about 45 minutes later. I heard footsteps coming from that draw. This time they were quite a bit closer though. I couldn’t see the deer, but I grabbed my bow and stood up. I’ve learned the hard way to always grab my bow and get up and ready. Never know what may show.

I finally got a glimpse of some movement, and could see legs coming right around the point. The deer appeared to be a buck, but I couldn’t quite tell what it was because there were a bunch of paw paws in the way. The deer took a trail that I figured was about 25 yards, which is about my max I want to shoot.

Once it got to my shooting window I could tell it was a good buck. No idea on exact size, but I wasn’t being picky anyways. I gave him a soft “meh”, and he stopped perfectly for me. I drew, picked a spot, and let it fly……

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 10:54:47 AM »
 :archer: :archer2:
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
 :coffee:
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 02:00:17 PM »
I’d like to say that I executed everything perfectly. That I picked my spot, focused, and watched my arrow spiral in flight until it split the hair I was staring at.

But that wasn’t the case this time. I “blacked out”, so to speak, at the shot. Had no idea where my arrow hit. Never saw it in flight, never saw it hit the deer, nothing. But….I heard it hit. And I watched the bucks body language as he tore out of there like he was hit hard.

He took off like he was on fire, running straight up the steep ridge. He bolted about 50 yards nearly straight up and stopped. It’s that moment where you could cut the tension in the air. Complete silence for what seems like eternity.

And then that sweet sound of a crash. But not just him crashing. He came tumbling end over end like a barrel bouncing back down the hill and landed in plain view of my stand. If the shot didn’t kill him, the fall did.

From the time I first saw him until the time he crashed down the hill was no more than 45 seconds. It was over in a flash. I finally had a big woods national forest buck with my recurve. But I still wasn’t sure what he looked like. Time to hop down and go admire the buck.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 02:37:12 PM »
I was very pleased when I approached the buck. He’s not a big chocolate racked giant, but he is a very respectable buck. I was also very pleased with my shot. And as it turns out, the shot was a little farther than I thought. It was a little over 30 yards. Not sure why I thought it was that much closer. Anyways, without further delay….

Here he is. My IL bow camp buck.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 02:40:11 PM »
Very nice.  Good story.  Thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 02:45:24 PM »
Great job Jake!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 02:48:41 PM »
nice buck from anywhere  :thumbsup: and a double throat patch to boot! congratts! :thumbsup:
original register date- jan. 2010

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »
Outstanding!

Dandy of a buck, great pics and write up!

Congrats and thanks for sharing with us.    :clapper:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 03:23:38 PM »
Congrats and thanks for bringing us along!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 03:30:16 PM »
Great write up with a little "Charlie Lamb" story telling thrown in to keep us coming back for more!  Congratulations and one helluva shot!  Beautiful buck!  Congratulations sir! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 03:47:01 PM »
Well done. Congrats!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »
I enjoyed that one! Thanks for writing it up.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2023, 04:22:33 PM »
Oh man that’s a great story and buck!!! Congrats man.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2023, 04:46:29 PM »
Congrats Jake, nice buck.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter