3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need more # or not  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Anders22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need more # or not
« on: October 16, 2023, 09:54:04 AM »
Ok guys,

Going strictly long bow for me is new- I have been shooting lever bows for over 30 years,  Monster bows Phoenix has been my go to since 2007...

Piles of deer dropped.

This year I have dedicated myself to my Maddog 41# longbow...been shooting non stop since June and fell good to about 15 yards, which I limit myself to anyhow with any bow.

That being said, I feel a little underpowered for whitetail...maybe it is because I am used to slamming through deer and 8 inches into the dirt with my lever set at 63#....

I shoot a 638 grain Black eagle Vintage with 100 grain inserts and either 200 gr Bear razorheads or Grizzly single bevels...

Am I under bowed?  Should I try to get to 50, or does 41# get it done?

Haven't stuck one yet, have left a good many go as I was not 100% confident in the shot, but the freezer is bare....so.....

Just wondering if I need more # or should 41 get it done?  I know, sharp broadhead and shot placement and all...

Thanks,
S. Chris Anders

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice.

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need more # or not
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »
41# is fine for whitetail.

In general, I would tell you to shoot as much as you can accurately. If 41 is it, fine. If 50, fine. With that said, I'm not sure I would try adding that much poundage in the middle of the season if you are already shooting 41. 

It sounds like you are shooting a heavy arrow and good broadheads. You will get good penetration if you put the arrow where it needs to go.

Limiting your shots to 15 yards increases your odds for the arrow to go where you want it to go.

The only thing I'll tell you is to let the arrow fly, and be sure to post pictures here when you are successful!

Good Luck!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »
That's plenty for deer. I wouldn't be surprised if you shot clean through.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »
This topic sure comes up a lot. There are a lot of opinions about this, some of it interesting so searching the topic may prove valuable to you.

About fifty years ago, things were a lot different. I basically flew by the seat of my pants. I did not know much about tuning arrows. All I can say for sure was I knew I needed to practice, and I knew my broadhead needed to be sharp.

I killed my first deer, an average sized buck with my 40# recurve. So I know it can be done, ESPECIALLY with a well tuned set up, and with staying within 15 yards. But I don’t want to hunt with the minimum weight allowed.

For me, the problem is what happens if and when you decide to go after something bigger. Yes you can get another heavier bow and try to switch back and forth. That might work for you. It doesn’t for me.

Eventually, I Just got a bow that I can hunt with everything I am likely to hunt. That for me is low fifty pounds. A little more oomph and a cleaner release.

I took some instruction a few years ago from Arne Moe when I wanted to shoot a longbow. I brought along a 46# and a 52# bow. When I switched during the practice to the heavier bow, Arne immediately said your release is better with the heavier bow. Just my experience.

Maybe not fair, but I have a hard time believing guys half my age (I’m 71),  Cant shoot a fifty pound bow. Unless there are medical reasons. I do have a 47# recurve in reserve, but if that becomes too much, I think I will be done.

I hope you get it figured out and good luck with your journey.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 12:16:53 PM »
Lever bow?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 03:18:20 PM »
Please come no non trabo pictures, thank you.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Anders22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 03:38:21 PM »
he had just asked what it was, did not know the rule.

Thanks
S. Chris Anders

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 11:47:47 PM »
I hunted the first four years with a Ben Pearson 45#@28".   First year or two at 12 and 13 probably wasn't drawing 28".  Probably pulling 39-40#.  That was early years and we didn't know much about matching arrows or broadheads.  Was lucky enough to kill two does in those early years.  Deer weren't much smarter than us.  Keep shoots under 20 yards and use arrows tuned to your bow and broadheads matched.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 11:54:04 PM »
I like heavier bows, but I do have a couple of 40# bows just in case I lose the strength to shoot my current bows. If you are accurate and confident with the lighter bow, then go for it! It is plenty adequate for deer.
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »
he had just asked what it was, did not know the rule.

Thanks

Its in the rules you agreed to when you registered.  You might want to refresh as the  are also stickied to the top of this forum.

No worries.  :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 10:28:34 AM »
The old saying that you should always shoot the heaviest bow you can draw comfortably pays dividends….. a heavier draw weight will always give you a cleaner release, and if that moment comes where you don’t quite hit your anchor point, a heavier draw weight bow will be more forgiving….

There are good reasons why many states have a 40-50# minimum draw weight requirement for deer and elk…. So if you can increase your draw weight, I would do so. IMO       
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 03:15:51 PM »
The old saying that you should always shoot the heaviest bow you can draw comfortably pays dividends….. a heavier draw weight will always give you a cleaner release, and if that moment comes where you don’t quite hit your anchor point, a heavier draw weight bow will be more forgiving….

There are good reasons why many states have a 40-50# minimum draw weight requirement for deer and elk…. So if you can increase your draw weight, I would do so. IMO     

X2

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »

X3
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 10:49:40 PM »

X4
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 10:04:51 PM »
I also am using a 41# bow this year. 550 grain arrow, 175 VPA 2blade.  So far I've learned 20 yards is the max. Passed that, their reflexes are too good for an arrow this slow.
Here's the doe I shot... slow mo video...blew right through at 11 yds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6CAMyxbdbrpucqjA8
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »
All I will say is  after bowhunting Minnesota deer for 50 years, I have had pass-throughs 85 percent of the time with the bows listed below.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 10:49:46 AM »
I like the responses by Gary and Kirk, its always better to use the most poundage that you be consistently accurate with under all conditions (not just shooting straight up and comfy at summer targets in the back yard).  If you take that approach you might never have the unfortunate circumstance of wishing you had used a little more 'poundage insurance' on a shot that didn't get as much penetration as you'd hoped for. 

Perfect shots aren't the norm.  Bones/ribs/shoulder blades etc. have no opinion about what poundage you shoot.  they just react to and reject anything weaker than what they are built to withstand.  So a sound approach is, if you can comfortably shoot hunting-type shots with more than a minimum or on-the-edge draw weight, even if the latter 'might' work, and you can do so with consistent accuracy at those higher weights, then why the heck would someone not choose to do that?   :dunno:   

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
I like the responses by Gary and Kirk, its always better to use the most poundage that you be consistently accurate with under all conditions (not just shooting straight up and comfy at summer targets in the back yard).  If you take that approach you might never have the unfortunate circumstance of wishing you had used a little more 'poundage insurance' on a shot that didn't get as much penetration as you'd hoped for. 

Perfect shots aren't the norm.  Bones/ribs/shoulder blades etc. have no opinion about what poundage you shoot.  they just react to and reject anything weaker than what they are built to withstand.  So a sound approach is, if you can comfortably shoot hunting-type shots with more than a minimum or on-the-edge draw weight, even if the latter 'might' work, and you can do so with consistent accuracy at those higher weights, then why the heck would someone not choose to do that?   :dunno:

100%
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 04:28:39 PM »
Last couple years, waiting and after shoulder surgery.
40# left handed. I'm right handed
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 04:36:31 PM by Gun »
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 04:42:08 PM »
2021 40# passthru
One of 3 does
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©