3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maintaining consistency  (Read 905 times)

Offline Anders22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Maintaining consistency
« on: October 18, 2023, 01:10:37 PM »
Ok lads and ladies,

Been shooting traditional on and off for years, decided this year to go full steam and stick with nothing but traditional.

I shoot probably 70-100 arrows a day, and have been for over 3 months.....and I have an issue.

My first shot of the day (you know the only one you get bowhunting) is never dead on...it is within a 2-3"circle at my mandated 15 yards, but never dead on.  Sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes left......very seldom to the right.

Once I settle into practice I can start stacking arrows where they need to be.....I take a break and come back and shoot one, and it is good to go....

It is always that first few arrows....

Does this work it's way out with practice?  Is there something else I should do?

Thanks,

Scattering in the 'good' VA....lol
S. Chris Anders

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice.

Online silentarrow84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maintaining consistency
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 05:54:24 PM »
Anders,

I am no expert but I like to  warm up with a stretch band before I go shooting. Grip with both hands straight out in front of you and expand all the way to proper bow alignment. When I am in the woods about every hour a draw my bow back to stay loose.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »
While it is true that only the first shot counts when hunting I never go to the stand without warming up in camp and if possible stump shot or two on the way in.  That said I always focus each part of my shot cycle and make sure my release is a conscious decision.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »
I'd like to be able to shoot that 2-3" first shot every time.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 09:39:20 PM »
Like GCook, I try my best to get one or two stump shots off at the very beginning of any hunt, just to activate my shoot muscles.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 10:14:23 AM »
If your first shot is consistently in a 2-3” ring, I’d say you are well above many archers skill level shooting a traditional bow.

Once you get to the level where you are damaging arrows and blowing knocks off your arrows shooting groups, it’s time to start shooting different spots on your target. You should never shoot groups with broad heads. 

The biggest mistake I’ve seen archery hunters make is practicing with field points only, or using practice broad heads , and never shooting the actual broad heads they hunt with….. personally I want to shoot every arrow that’s in my quiver knowing it’s a good one, then touch up the edge on the blades…..    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Anders22

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 10:46:38 AM »
Maybe I will pack along 2 blunts to zip into something ...just kinda hard to do in the early morning light...
S. Chris Anders

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 02:57:40 PM »
I've even taken practice shots into a target in the headlights of the truck before.  Whatever it takes to know you're ready when the time does come.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 03:40:30 PM »
I've even taken practice shots into a target in the headlights of the truck before.  Whatever it takes to know you're ready when the time does come.

Sometimes I'll use my headlamp on a stump. Works great.   :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
I typically shoot 3-5 shots in the morning..if im satisfied, that's it..no more. If I'm slipping ill shoot a few later on in the day..around  a dozen or so..and I'm back on..next day 3-5 shots in the morning and so on..you CAN shoot too much.  This is pretty much is my schedule 6 days a week. Both of my bows are shortys and demanding on form, if I have a real itch to shoot a bunch I pick up my 40# Supermag and work on form..and do my daily shooting in the mornings with my other Supermag hunting setup.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 04:13:08 PM by Michpatriot »

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 04:02:09 PM »
I keep an old Rinehart core in my truck for practicing before I go hunting . Two or three shots and I'm go to go.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 08:15:46 PM »
All great tips.  One thing I love about stickbow, is stump shooting to and from stand.  One thing I found works, is in morning before work, shoot one arrow, leave it in target all day until get home.  Then do it again.  I learned this here long time ago and teaches us to focus.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©