3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Happy Ending  (Read 1444 times)

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
Happy Ending
« on: October 19, 2023, 01:47:14 PM »
So, I took a PTO day yesterday to get out and do some bow hunting.

The morning sit was uneventful, didn't see a deer but I knew I was in a good spot and I was optimistic for the afternoon/evening. I got climbed back up into my tree by about 3:45 and was prepared to have a nice sit until dark. It was in the 50's and the wind was in my favor. There is a hay field about 30 yard at my back and below it are 2 corn fields one that has already been picked and one that is still standing. There is a very thick bedding area in front of me about 40 yards and the deer will head from the bedding area to the fields in the evening, if I'm lucky.

This is the view from my perch yesterday about 15 feet high. The fields would be to the left in this picture and the bedding area would be to the right.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Happy Ending
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 01:48:56 PM »
At about 5 pm I had a little spike come out of the bedding area, cool I was at least going to see a deer.
At about 5:45 I had 8 doe, mom's and little ones come out of the bedding area. I was covered up and had eyes and ears all around me. I heard some grunting in the thick stuff and could catch glimpses of a bigger body and a rack. Luckily, he didn't come out right away as I would have had trouble getting a shot off with all the doe around me.

The doe eventually made there way into the field and sure enough, that buck came out of the thick stuff and was heading my way. I wasn't sure which way he was going to head but I had my bow in my hand and was prepared to pivot however I needed to in my climber's seat. I thought he was going to head to my left and pass through my opening in the above picture but he turned abruptly and was going to pass in front of me at about 20 yards.

He was walking and when he hit my opening in front of me I drew back and shot. Now here is where this story could have had a not so Happy Ending.....

I immediately saw my arrow hit a little further back than I would have liked. He took off like a rocket to my right and I watched him until he was out of sight, about 100 yards in a about 2 seconds flat. They can really run!

I knew my hit was lethal and I guessed it was going to be a liver hit with maybe lung if i was lucky. Not ideal and now is when the anxiety and worrying take over...time really drags out when your waiting to track. I waited about 30 minutes and climbed down. I walked over to where I shot him and there was some nice dark red blood spots there so that eased my mind a little. I situated my gear and carried it to the truck and by now it was dark.

I took a seat in the cab of my truck and figured I would wait at least another hour before I started to track. There is nothing worse than jumping a hit deer and pushing it. After about 2.5 hours of waiting I grabbed my pack and my lights and started blood trailing. I had ok blood, a few drops and spatters every couple feet and it was dark red and I could tell he was running the whole way. I didn't see any stomach or gut matter so that was very encouraging as well.

I had trailed him about 200 yards and I was right at the edge of the property I was hunting. There is a very steep hillside that heads down into the next property and that is the way he was heading. There is also a small stream at the bottom.

Now I had a big decision to make. I don't know the people that own the property he was headed onto. It's after 9 pm now. I have ok blood and the temperature is supposed to get down into the upper 30's overnight. I made the decision to head home, knock on a door in the morning and hopefully pick up the trail.

It was a very long night without much sleep.
Prayer changes things.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »
I waited until about 7:30 this morning to get back out and try to find the buck. I didn't want to knock on a stranger's door at the crack of dawn plus I wanted to have some good daylight.
The property owner's were nice and gave me the green light so I picked up where I had left off the night before. I was following blood and trying to look ahead for that tell tale white belly. It was thick in the creek bottom but he was heading into a big open stand of oaks. Once I got to the oak grove I looked ahead and there it was, what I was hoping to see....that white belly, best site ever!

I ended up catching lung and liver just as I suspected and luckily, no guts. I got him field dressed, loaded into the truck and into the neighbor's walk in in record time!

All told, he went about 300 yards. I reckon he only lived about a minute after the shot at the very most. I'm still happy with my decision to let him lay although it was a long night.

I just love a Happy Ending!

My arrow had just about came out and just the fletching was still in him. I took it out for the picture. Sorry no bow pic but I shot him with my Bear Grizzly, Autumn Orange arrows and a ace Standard broadhead.
Prayer changes things.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 01:52:52 PM »
Happy Ending, tired Jim!
Prayer changes things.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
I found this good shroom tree in the oak grove, they were past their prime but I will remember this spot for next year and ask for permission to gather them up.

Prayer changes things.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 02:35:03 PM »
Very nice!!!! Thanks :thumbsup: for sharing.

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 02:36:29 PM »
Excellent Work!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 02:58:55 PM »
Well that's how a successful hunt recount should read! Awesome job on the shot appraisal! Bravo for the patience and courtesy to the adjacent land owner! Nice pictures make the thread!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 04:32:51 PM »
Nice job brother! Congrats on a fine deer!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 05:23:30 PM »
Congratulations buddy. Nice buck. Your Bear Grizzly is deadly. Thanks for texting me the pictures this morning.  :clapper:
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 05:31:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Frank, thanks for keeping my spirits up and encouraging me through my shoulder recovery this year. You're a great friend and mentor.

:archer:
Prayer changes things.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 05:35:00 PM »
I had the same experience two years ago, liver hit, tracked a few hundred yards, waited til morning with little sleep, found the white belly in morning after another 50 yds. So glad I let him be, do not like to push them. Congratulations on a fine hunt and recovery.

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 06:35:45 PM »
Good job all the way…congrats!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »
Congratulations and well done! One lung and liver is not a guaranteed quick recovery. You did the right thing, and thankfully no meat loss with coyotes :goldtooth: :campfire:

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 07:29:46 PM »
Thanks and no sir, no meat loss to coyotes.

There is a resident pack in the area I killed this buck but luckily I found him before they did.

It's a hard thing for me to leave an animal I shot overnight. I'm just happy it worked out. I will sleep much better tonight for sure.
Prayer changes things.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 07:56:51 PM »
Great story! I like how you respected the landowner....showed a lot of class. Congrats on your deer harvest!
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 08:02:35 PM »
Congratulations on the buck, in Texas coyotes would have finished him.  They're thick as fleas here and even in the city limits, taking dogs and cats.  It's hard to wait on a marginal hit.  Helps with shot focus knowing you're not the only hunter out there.  I've spent a couple nights in the woods, on trail, cuddled in a space blanket, so my odor was in the area.  Also, if you hear the yotes yapping you can make a little noise, doesn't always work.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:31:33 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »
Thanks Wud and thanks for the yote tips!
Prayer changes things.

Offline Tr33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 08:31:45 PM »
Nice buck congratulations!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 08:50:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing.   :bigsmyl:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©