Author Topic: Bingham’s recurve  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Dannon

• Trad Bowhunter
Bingham’s recurve
« on: October 29, 2023, 09:25:15 PM »
Any of you guys ever build a take down recurve of off the Bingham’s plan? Just curious about the performance and whether or not it is a good form.
Thanks,
Dannon

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bingham’s recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 07:45:49 AM »
Binghams is in the process of going out of Business
Build Your own bow by Jim Thorne maybe, I will check for you. :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:56:57 PM »
Great Plains used the Binghams TD design for years. I think they tweaked it some now tho. It is not a bad design.
High on Archery.

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 12:38:27 PM »
With the right core materials that old Binghams TD recurve plan will hit the low 180's in performance if they are balanced right, and it can be improved on with long lean wedges and an .001 - .0015 taper rate. The original plans called out for an .002 taper rate and had short flat topped wedges i believe. I didn't like the way the limbs hinged at the fades, and stacked after 30" of draw.   I up only laid up a couple sets before i tweaked the form shape to get a better string angle and longer draw capasity.

I had all their plans when i first started, but think i already passed them along to another budding bowyer.   

I do still have 3 sets of Jim Thornton's Plans he gave me many years ago . I never actually used them, so i cannot reflect on performance. But they look like decent plans and are very detailed. I don't know whether he still sells them or not. I often wonder what ever happened to him. That guy was sharp as a carpet tack. I still have his WTT long bow entry he gave to me after that event.
Once upon a time the two of us did some scheming to put on another WTT event, but it never came together....  Great guy!

There are 3 different plans with 15,17, and 19" riser lengths and two different limb lengths "A" & "B"

Kirk

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »
.003 taper is what the Binghams Recurve has Kirk but I was thinking the same way .002 or .0015 :thumbsup:

Jim is on Facebook and he still sells his plans
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 01:01:18 AM »
Well i could have sworn there was only one .002 taper in the Binghams RC limb.... Maybe that was what i just used on mine that i remember... Actually i don't remember at all... :biglaugh:

That was 15 years ago when i built my first RC..... But after building a few it didn't take me long to figure out they are a lot more forgiving with an .001 taper, and that static tips rule.  kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »
 :biglaugh:
I still ain't sure that I'm sure
}}}}===============>>

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 05:09:49 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©