3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally (update 12/21)  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally (update 12/21)
« on: October 30, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »
For those of you living in Michigan, and seems like Northern Michigan in particular, the word for the season so far has been "rain". Every weekend, every free evening after work, it just seems to always be soggy out. I've lost track of how many times I've had to dry gear out, try and breathe life back into drowned feathers, and polish rust off my broadhead blades. I've even passed opportunities for fear that the blood trail would get washed away too quickly by the current squall. With all of this happening, I was more than a little excited when this past Saturday called for a 20 degree temperature drop and no rain.
I may have been a bit overzealous as I found myself beginning my hike in at just after 6:15. I never use a flashlight if I can help it, and with it being overcast, it was almost pitch black as I picked my way through the woods a half mile to a pinch point that always looked promising. I tucked into some brush and settled in to wait for daylight. 

As I sat there waiting, it began to drizzle again, and I silently begged for it to stop, which thankfully it did a few minutes later. It wasn't until 7:30 that I was able to see much of anything, but I figured that if they used the trail I expected, it would be a close shot and I'd have no trouble seeing them. I have been seeing a little bit of rut activity, so I pulled out my grunt call and gave 4 soft grunts spaced out over about 2 minutes.  When I'd finished, I put it back in my pack and settled in to wait. I had only been waiting for about 2 minutes when I saw a deers leg go through  a gap in the pines about 40 yards out, not on the deer trail, but on the same route that I had walked in. It never made a sound as it moved. I slowly got my bow up as it walked through another opening. This time I thought that I'd gotten a good look at its head, and it appeared to be a doe. However, when it turned and started angling back towards the swamp, I saw an antler sticking out above its ear. I felt pretty disappointed as it disappeared behind a clump of trees, still angling away. The deer suddenly reappeared further to the right in a 4 foot gap, angling away from me. This was the last chance that I would have before he made it into the thicker trees, and knowing that he had at least 3 points on one side, I drew back and shot. I needed to lean over to clear a branch, and in the low light I couldn't see the arrow impact. However, it felt good, sounded good, and the buck kicked, pitched forward on his nose, and plowed forward into the swamp. There was a ton of crashing and cracking for about 20 seconds and then silence. I sat there in the early light shaking and replaying everything in my mind. Based on what I had heard, there were only two options. Either he'd run into the swamp and crashed, or was still alive but not walking anywhere, as it would have been impossible for him to move through that area quietly.

After 15 minutes I quietly got my stuff together and slowly walked over to where he had been. There was no blood at the impact sight, but looking in the direction that he had snowplowed through, I saw blood covering everything, as well as on some brush off to the side. This gave me a lot of confidence, and I followed a very steady blood trail about 40 yards into the swamp, where I found him laying dead. It caught me a bit off guard, as he died with his head caught in a bush, making him appear to still be alive for a second. Up to now I still hadn't really seen what it was, and I just about fell over when I realized it was a clean, perfectly symmetrical 10. I've hunted around here my whole life and never seen one, and only ever had 1 on camera. Not a big deer compared to most places, but I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to put some meat in the freezer and a rack on the wall.

Shot with my Great Northern Ghost, 59-60 pounds at my draw, shooting a GT 400 with a 200 grain 3 blade VPA. I went and ranged it later and the shot was 26 yards. The arrow entered at the last rib and buried to the feathers and the exit hole was just in front of the shoulder on the opposite side.

This is how I found him

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:28:29 PM by Trenton G. »

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 09:23:02 PM »
congratts! a fine buck  :thumbsup:
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:36:33 PM »
Congratulations Trenton on a fine buck. Go Huskies!!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 09:51:54 PM »
Congrats Trenton! Nice buck. Just when you think the season is a wash out, this happens. Great story.   :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 09:59:28 PM »
Excellent job!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 10:35:06 PM »
Nice buck.  Way to go.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 10:40:31 PM »
Very nice. Congrats

Offline Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 10:49:01 PM »
So very COOL! I've been out every chance I could so far maybe 13-14 hunts and had a couple close encounters but no shots so far..Rain has been a almost constant threat and have found myself shielding fletchings and string silencers as I sat in rain several times.. this October has been challenging down here in south east lower Michigan also. So happy for you! That would be sketchy for me range wise\comfort\zone..I'm comfortable out to 18-20yds and with steep angles but I try not to think\wish too much further.. Glad you went with your gut and it was successful!!!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 11:39:43 PM »
Wow great hunt.Your choice of the spot you picked really paid off for you.Ground hunting is exciting!Sounds like a really good shot under the conditions to close it out at 26 yards.

Really fine buck and fine bow to close it out on in Northern Michigan.Looks like Osage limbs.

My 1st G.N Super Ghost had all Osage limbs?Loved that bow!

A lot of rain for sure lately.I got hammered by rain Steelhead fishing for 2 days last week.

Congrats on a most memorable hunt for you. :)

Online Kodiak Fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 05:31:12 AM »
Nice buck.  And from the ground! 
JAV

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 06:50:43 AM »
Nice work!

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 07:39:46 AM »
Great job on a great buck, congratulations!

Thanks for the excellent pictures and write up. Threads like this are my favorite!

:campfire:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »
 :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 11:27:10 AM »
He's a good looking buck and that's a good poke to take him..  Congratulations!!
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
Congrats and great story.  I really like the dark antlers of the “up north” bucks.  35 years ago a friend and I learned to hunt up at their cabin near Manistee and the bucks almost always had short, dark antlers that we didn’t see anywhere else…

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 11:58:01 AM »
Way to go sir! That's a nice buck!  Thanks for sharing your hunt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 02:53:25 PM »
Thanks guys! The shot was definitely about as far as I want to go on a whitetail. I didn't really think about range at the time. It just felt right and I didn't question it.

Ray, I will be headed to Houghton for 9 days in November. Duck hunt in the morning and deer hunt in the evening. I can't wait!

Steelhead, yes, those are Osage limbs with a cocobolo riser. I really like the bow and am hoping to get a back up for it at some point.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 07:46:41 PM »
Congrats!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »
Nice b8uck good for you ! I wished we had rain instead of this damn snow .

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 09:01:59 PM »
Congratulations, for sticking it out and taking advantage of a break in the rain.  Nice deer!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"