3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a sight  (Read 1210 times)

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with a sight
« on: November 07, 2023, 07:00:32 AM »
I know that sights have been used by target archers for years and years, but does anybody here hunt with a simple single pin sight?  I'm considering getting one.  I would just like some insight before I get one and drill into my riser. 
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a sight
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:30:05 AM »
I've never used a sight but I knew lot of guys back in the 70s that used a single pin sight and did well with it.
Whatever works for you os best..never know until you try it.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 11:27:21 AM »
If you want to try a sight pin to see if you like it, take a wooden match and tape it across the sight window.  Not easy to adjust but it will give you the idea of how well it works for you.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swampbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »
 No need to drill your riser until you're sure you like using a sight ! Get a cheap light weight sight like they sell on ebay or an old Cobra bracket and use double sided tape. I was in a slump and unhappy with my shooting a couple years back and went to sight. Using a sight helped me more than I would have thought possible . I hunted with a single pin setup for 2  seasons successfully . I shot multiple leagues this year and a ton of 3d with a barebow so I was grooved in for that and hunted sightless this fall .  I still use a sighted recurve  with 3 pins if I shoot a field course with the ultra long shots but mostly I'm back to sightless . I gap shoot so there isn't much difference for me using the arrow point or 1 pin at typical 30yd or less hunting range.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 11:37:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply swampbow. I was hoping to avoid any drilling if I could and won’t unless I absolutely have to. My biggest issue is a loss of focus and picking a spot at the moment of truth. I’m hoping that if I have a pin to use that it would help eliminate the issue.

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 12:31:27 PM »
I am thinking of going to a sight also because I am losing sight in my right eye and it is hard to focus with one eye.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 01:28:13 PM »
Used them all the time back in the mid to late 60's.  They will definitely get you to focus on your form.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 02:04:27 PM »
I played around with a sight for a while years ago. It was a single pin sight that came stock on a Bear A-mag takedown. I found that the trick for me was overlaying the head of the sight pin exactly on the spot that I wanted to hit. Of course, I had to pick that spot before I started to aim. It seemed to work OK, but I drifted away from using it after a period of experimentation. That being said, that A-mag TD was from the early 70s so I think the pin sight is pretty traditional and worth a try if you think you might like it. And if it works for you...then great.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »
Let us know how it goes?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 05:08:05 PM »
I used a 4 pin Merrill Heart sight in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  For sure you needed to concentrate on a point to aim.  And needed to be quite active in estimating distance.  So, I believe it made me a more accurate shooter.  But, I never had target panic until I started using a sight, and it was a constant struggle to overcome target panic.  And then just out of the blue took it off, and have never looked back.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 05:18:01 PM »
During my three year visit to the dark side, I used sights.  Then had a car accident and could not focus on the sight, so went to "Look and Shoot" got a Damon Howatt Hunter haven't changed from that style of shooting since.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 05:56:22 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 05:34:56 PM »
Well, I ordered a cheap one pin sight. Gonna have to temporarily attach until I see if it helps. Thanks for the input.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »
I used one in the early '70's after a couple years of breaking compounds. I started w one on the original "A" frame Black Widows. Single pin and also would line my bowstring up on the outside of the riser for my left and right in my peripheral vision. Its a lot easier than it sounds once you get it down.

I did it the same again when I had to shoot lefty while waiting for shoulder surgery a few years ago. I used a sight plate with a B mag Bear riser. Instead of a pin I used a nut from a Merrill sight and painted it white. I had it set for 18 yds dead on and would just use the top of the nut held where I wanted to hit. Same method as above for left and right.

Back to barebow now w 4 critters so far this season. Good Luck!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 08:30:17 PM »
Here's a pix
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 08:07:39 AM »
I went through a slump missed several deer in a row, had shoulder pain and couldn’t practice like I needed to. I played around with several different sights , I settled on the SRF that 3 rivers sells. I drilled my Widow and installed inserts. I felt the sight really boosted my confidence. I also made a bracket for the SRF that fit the inserts exactly. I can put the sight on and take it off at any time without having to readjust it.
Really think the sight helped with my shooting. Good luck.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
If you want to use a pin a couple things need considered. Gap shooting which one pin will be is the same as using arrow point. There are ways to lessen gap w arrow tip  but be advised neither will work  except at one exact yardage if non dominant eye is used. You Must anchor properly and to the same length, head must be in the same position in order to achieve same sight picture, and all other sorts of form issues that also fall into other ways of shooting.
Just throwing  a pin on won’t fix these.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »
I know that sights have been used by target archers for years and years, but does anybody here hunt with a simple single pin sight?  I'm considering getting one.  I would just like some insight before I get one and drill into my riser.

I would respectfully ask, Why you are considering this?   

I've used various sight pins on different types of bows over the years for target shooting and hunting successfully, but do not use them on my traditional bows for hunting any more. It's a totally different ball game than learning to shoot instinctively. Using a gap method of aiming with your arrow tip is helpful to many guys.

As mentioned above by Bowguy67  just putting a sight pin on your bow alone isn't going to improve your accuracy any better than working on your form and a consistent anchor point will. These parts are necessary for using a sight pin too...... Food for thought.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2023, 05:18:11 AM »

I would respectfully ask, Why you are considering this?   

I've used various sight pins on different types of bows over the years for target shooting and hunting successfully, but do not use them on my traditional bows for hunting any more. It's a totally different ball game than learning to shoot instinctively. Using a gap method of aiming with your arrow tip is helpful to many guys.

As mentioned above by Bowguy67  just putting a sight pin on your bow alone isn't going to improve your accuracy any better than working on your form and a consistent anchor point will. These parts are necessary for using a sight pin too...... Food for thought.    Kirk

I guess I should’ve prefaced all this by saying that I’m not having accuracy issues when shooting targets. Doing just fine on that. The main reason I’m considering using a sight is because I’m having a hard time when it comes to shooting animals. I’m having mixed results shooting (missing) deer because I’m losing focus when it comes to the moment of truth. I feel like a sight pin could help me focus on a spot more at that moment of truth. I know it’s not a “buck fever” issue, because it happens on any animal. I just have a very difficult time picking a spot and keeping my focus on it. I’m sure it’s just a psychological deal.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 06:48:52 AM »
You realize buck fever isn’t only for bucks? Listen arrow tip or pin is the same except the degree of gap. If you want ideas to lessen gap to be fairly short at normal hunt range there are lots tricks. Just ask.
Your issue is not picking a spot as you think it’s an head issue. Don’t misunderstand what I’m saying, you can train to handle the stress when shooting under stress. Look at special forces guys. Do they just jump into some country and expect to do well after they shot q targets all summer in prep? No. I could go on n on but that should get the point across.
I typically tell my hunter ed students or anyone I’m mentoring we need to train for the stress and our responses. You can start, I tell them, by simply shooting a tic tac toe board with a friend or spouse . Best 2-3 buys the other a soda, has a better team, a hotter girl, makes dinner, etc the idea is pressure shots.
You can progress shooting 3D on a Rocky course, a bionic deer (plate steel deer w hole for vitals). As kids, not that i recommend this, we’d tickle a guys ear with arrow at full draw to throw them off, we’d also aim for each other nocks at 3D. That’d cause us to aim for the nose tip. Talk about a pressure shot for both guys?
It’s not gonna just happen that you’re naturally bulletproof mentally. Train like it and for it. Need ideas ask.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
 Often guys think they are "Picking a spot" on an animal, but are actually picturing the whole animal as the spot. HUGE difference!...On a deer you have that shoulder blade line... I always focus on the leg itself, and the bottom of the chest cavity..... Straight up back of the leg and 1/3rd up from the bottom. Then i look for tuft of hair or a shadow line.... You want to be focusing on something the size of a dime.... "Aim small.... Miss small"

I do not think a sight pin is going to help you with this because you need the same focus on a spot whether you use a pin or not.     
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©