3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Broadhead for Bears?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Broadhead for Bears?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2023, 09:23:56 AM »
Ive shot 25 bears I started out and then helped a guide in NW Manitoba for 16 years so I have been on quite a few blood trails . The only two blade I would use is a Simmons other wise a Snuffer or Woodsman . A double lung bear usually goes down in a bout 30 yards but some are the exception . I made a perfect shot on a big brown and he went about 150 yards with no blood trail we just luckily happened on him while casting half moons.  I shot him with a 2 blade Zwickey delta . The rest of the bears I shot with a 125 grain Snuffer . The Snuffer was a short and bloody trail. Im not a fan of any two blade under 1 1/2" wide on any big game .

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »
Roger,
You should have talked with Greg and I at camp!!
You’re a great shot.  Bears die easy if you hit them right.  Greg and I have both killed bears with Zwickey two blade Delta’s.  Short death runs (under 40 yards) and my longest went 60 yards.  Last bear was with 3 blade Razorcaps.  It went 35 yards and walked to him without trailing because of death moan.  Study Bear anatomy and place your arrow and you’ll have your bear. Sharp broadhead and placement.  Looking forward to bear roast in camp next fall - it was one of Lobo’s favorite meals.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2023, 05:10:56 AM »
Roger you will do fine with either the Ace Or the Abowyer 250 you used this year for deer. My go to head is the Ace Standards. Tracey made the switch from Ace to ABowyers in 2019 for our Africa trip. I love both heads
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2023, 03:56:57 PM »
I have kille  10 bears and nine of them I used a snuffer and last one I used a four blade head and none of them went very far. If you hit them in the chest they go down fast and leave an easy to follow blood trail. I would use a heavy arrow and a three blade head like a snuffer. My wife shot a bruiser here in Wisconsin with a heavy arrow and a stinger head which had the bleeder blades. Her bow was 38# and the 500 pounder went 50 yards at the most and we watched it tip over.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2023, 08:27:38 PM »
Well Roger, inquiring minds want to know… what are you going to use?

Well, I just finished sharpening 3 250 grain VPA 3 blades. I was shocked how easy the were to get hair popping sharp using a series of bench stones.

They fly great, I plan on shooting  late season deer witht hem this weekend....I will probably go with these for the bear.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2023, 09:24:17 PM »
Great choice!  I have had great success with the 200s and 175s too.

DP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©