Author Topic: Looking for a book: Crafting Laminated Longbows by Mike Basher  (Read 4219 times)

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a book: Crafting Laminated Longbows by Mike Basher
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
 Searching out all that Flooring sounds like a lot of work been real happy with just getting it from Kenny I think it came roughly 12 x 36 slabs .

Offline bdsmith1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2023, 08:11:25 PM »
I didn't know that was an option.. I can't find the option on his website.  What's the width?

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2023, 08:48:49 PM »
Don’t quote me on the exact size but roughly 3/4 thick x 12x36 it may come 72 inches long but I got it cut for shipping to Canada , it was real nice vertical bamboo.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »
Searching out all that Flooring sounds like a lot of work been real happy with just getting it from Kenny I think it came roughly 12 x 36 slabs .

That sounds like stair tread material to me Bryan… and… not a bad way to go either. But for bowyers that are building 30-50 bows per year or more. Buying the flooring by the case was the most cost effective way to go until the popularity of the product waned , and many companies quit carrying the stuff. 

Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2023, 12:21:33 PM »
Haha yes you’re exactly right Kirk I was going to add that if you’re building a lot of bows it is worth the extra effort in finding an affordable option to keep the cost down , here in Canada because I have to source 75% of the materials south of the border I’ve come up with an average cost of $250 Canadian Justin materials by the time it lands at my door … of course that depends on the woods you use also, you guys that are making a living at this I appreciate every darn hour you guys put in on the bows you sell , you earn every dollar 👍 quick little story, I had a fella come over the other day, wanted me to build his young son an inexpensive starter bow…..  :dunno: sorry to say I couldn’t do it.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2023, 04:55:52 PM »
Haha yes you’re exactly right Kirk I was going to add that if you’re building a lot of bows it is worth the extra effort in finding an affordable option to keep the cost down , here in Canada because I have to source 75% of the materials south of the border I’ve come up with an average cost of $250 Canadian Justin materials by the time it lands at my door … of course that depends on the woods you use also, you guys that are making a living at this I appreciate every darn hour you guys put in on the bows you sell , you earn every dollar 👍 quick little story, I had a fella come over the other day, wanted me to build his young son an inexpensive starter bow…..  :dunno: sorry to say I couldn’t do it.

Just tell them 3rivers or amazon
A lot of people want you to give them something.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2023, 08:25:51 PM »
Yup.... Youth bows are basically a labor of love for me. If they are done right, they take as much time and almost as much materials to build.

Check out these 60's style RC replicas i built for some kids... I've had many guys say they would LOVE to have one built for their kids until i tell them it would cost them $500 a bow.... Nothing but crickets after that.... :biglaugh:

I played around with buying 2" wide glass and ripping it to 1" width to build some youth long bows a few years ago, but i didn't pursue it long.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fBr66jyotvP2LFHF6

Btw.... i tried contacting that FloorUS company about buying one case of their carbonized vertical grain stuff via email, and more cricket sounds... maybe i'll call them.

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline bdsmith1

• Trad Bowhunter

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2023, 02:03:51 PM »
I think maybe this should work.

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/bamboo/bamboo-wood-boards-1-ply-choose-your-size.html
[/quote
Well, that’s real expensive…….. If you were to go that route, I would email Kenny.

Offline bdsmith1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2023, 02:05:00 PM »
How much is he asking?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2023, 02:44:00 PM »
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/bamboo/bamboo-wood-boards-1-ply-choose-your-size.html

$129.99 ea.
Quantity:
Choose Your Width:
 11-1/2"
Choose Your Length:
 72"

Now Add shipping cost to this..... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:   

Nope! ..... it ain't going to happen.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2023, 06:40:55 PM »
Yes,  crazy expensive …. that same size around $75.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2023, 08:07:05 PM »
Rosewood shop Hard rock maple $9.50 board ft.
He will send you vertical for lams
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2023, 09:27:53 PM »
Ya know something else.... Sometimes you'll run across Natural color bamboo flooring that is junk too.
Years ago lumber liquidators sold some cheap bamboo that i wouldn't put on floors, much less in my bows. The stuff was just limp compared to Moso bamboo that was Carbonized. And the stuff delaminated easily..

The process they use to carbonize the stuff is like a heat treating process. i won't buy the natural bamboo any more. 

Max is right... just stick with Rock hard maple and you are bullet proof.  I buy the stuff at a hardwood company 2" X 8" X 10' lengths, and select my own vertical grain boards. Its become a staple for bow lams for me.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline bdsmith1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2023, 11:02:02 PM »
I got a lumber guy down the road. I'm gonna grab some HRM from him and give that a go. What a shame the bamboo had gotten so hard to come by.  Thanks for the advice

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2023, 09:08:44 AM »
You want boards 2" thick with vertical rings, 8/10" wide and start slicing/resaw the lams off. :thumbsup:

I hold 1 edge of the lams to the edge sander to get 1 edge straight.
Then I clamp a straight edge to the end of the edge sander and parallel the other side, bumping the straight in until I get to my width 1-1/2" or 1-3/4"

Drawing of the same thing
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:27:10 AM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2023, 09:39:31 AM »
If you can buy it S4S / 8/4 in 6-8” wide, you can read the grain on the edges like Maxs picture, and try and pick out your boards with tight grain, vs wider spaced grain, its more consistent. When they mill this lumber from large old growth trees you can get lumber 12” wide that is very straight grained.   Good stuff. :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2023, 05:50:26 PM »
Yep
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©