3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changing bow to accomidate fast flight  (Read 308 times)

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Changing bow to accomidate fast flight
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
How difficult a process is this?  I have a HH I am looking at getting, but its dacron only.  I am not in anyway a handyman, but can this be done rather cheaply, or am i looking at a big expensive project.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changing bow to accomidate fast flight
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
You are talking about religious issues here, and there are as many opinions on this as there are noses, and they vary from 'you don't have to do anything because it is a long bow' to 'a demon will come and breathe into the face of your first born and your tips will be schorn off like warm butter'.
The best thing is to talk to the bowyer (if he is still around) and follow his advice-if he says 'not a good idea' get the best 10-12 strand Dacron string made by someone like Chad at recurves.com and don't give the issue another thought. The performance differences between FF and B50 occurr when people compare a fat B50 to a skinny D97; otherwise it is about 5 FPS.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Bjorn:
I guess I have to ask, How can you recommend a 10-12 strand string when you don't even know how heavy a bow he is shooting?
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
If it is a Craig built Hill, then it is ok for FF according to him. The wedges in the tips provide enough strength as long as you use padded loops. I have a Tembo and a Wesley, both without tip overlays, that I shoot 12 strand D97 with padded loops on and have for a while - no problems. Before I installed them I called and talked to Craig and he assured me that it would be fine, but the bow might only last 30 years instead of a lifetime hahaha! The Hills take to FF like fish to water, and you will probably like the way they shoot with it as it really calms them in the hand at least it did mine!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, the bow is an older Hill, and I really want to use ff on it, not because of speed, but because I like the fact I dont have to worry about my brace height changing after the initial stretch.  BTW, the bow is 68" and 66#@28".

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
brackshooter:
I've shot B50 since its inception and never had a problem with the brace height changing, once its stretched, oh I do check it once in a while. But you should do that with any type of string material and if it does a 1/2 twist or two is all that is needed.
I have not had the positive results with D97 like Neal has, it made my Wesley sound like a cannon went off, also tried FF with the same results.
Bob

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
let it stretch. then just add a few twists to bring it back to the right b/height.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
to quick for me aromakr. lol
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
clint:
your post has further to travel than mine.
Bob

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Bobby Lofton once told me to make a flemish-twist dacron about an inch or so longer than the bow calls for, then twist it tighter to get the proper length.  It keeps the string quieter and doesn't stretch as much doing it that way.

I agree with aromakr also, once a dacron is shot-in, it doesn't stretch that much; and I've shot it since it was B-36.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©