3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving to Colorado, Finally Going on Monday  (Read 730 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moving to Colorado, Finally Going on Monday
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Hi all

Well iv left this as long as i can but right now it looks like ill be working and living just outside Gunnison, Colorado.

update;

well finally got my visa and i fly out on Monday looking forward to it

:D    :wavey:    :archer:

Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to Colorado, Finally Going on Monday
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
GOOD LUCK Andy!!!!!!! Don and Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
get in touch with 'houseman' on here. he made the move to that area less than a year ago.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
CAN I GO TOO

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Houseman doesn't live near Gunnison, he lives near me.   Lots of good hunting and fishing in the area.  Cold winters, one of the coldest places in the state.  They had a really tough winter this year, deep snow and cold and it took its toll on the wildlife.  I know a few trad guys that live in Gunnison and I am sure they would be happy to talk to you.  PM me if you want a phone number.
Mark
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Gunnison is one of the most beautiful areas of the state. There are ample opportunities for fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking, hiking, snowmobiling, downhill and cross-country skiing, and just about every other outdoor sport you can imagine. There's a college there, and the population tends to be young and very outdoor oriented. The winters can be cold, but it's not an invasive cold since the humidity is so low. Even though the physical temperature is low, the bright sunshine keeps it bearable. You'll love it! Best of luck with your visa.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys,
 well i think things are going to be pretty hectic for a while, but i will get back to you for contacts  when i can and when i know more exact plans.
look forward to the possibility of meeting up with some Trad hunters out there

Andy Ivy

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
For your hunting info-stop at Berfield's Stage Stop in Gunnison. Randy Foster or his son(pictured here) can help you with fishing/hunting areas/info. They have a 24 hr. meat processing service too. Gene Taylor's Sporting Goods up the street carries a good line of fishing/hunting/camping supplies. They are an archery pro shop also. For traditional archery you might have to drive up to Almont. CO DOW has a field office there. Stop in and get them to visually inspect your Hunter's Safety Course/IBEP bowhunting certificate and have them enter it in the computer. This eliminates having the card afield since the license will show "verified" on the Hunter's safety course line. There is a Walmart store in Gunnison. They carry all the elk,game calls,extensive hunting gear along with freeze-dried foods for backpacking. There is a backpacking/camping store in town that sells used/new camping gear. It is close to the Post Office. Restaurants---"The Trough" excellent salmon,steaks,etc.... at the edge of town going towards Montrose on Hwy. #50. Mario's Pizza/Salads- killer pasta salads-Breakfast-"Quarter Circle Restaurant" upper end of town by park/Information Center. They have the best breakfasts. All the locals hang out there so you can get all the latest "poop" concerning the community. Almont north of town is the best trout fishing. Wind surfing is best on Blue Mesa Lake. The area is usually listed as the coldest spot in the lower 48 states when International Falls,MN isn't. The area had a severe winter and the deer,sheep,elk suffered to a point that CO DOW has cut back on the draw licenses on the deer, sheep. Unit #54(West Elk wilderness) HAD either-sex deer tags available but it will be "buck only" this year until the herd builds back up. I'd scout the West Elk wilderness area for future elk,deer hunts. Soap Mesa access gets pretty crowded during the archery/muzzleloader season. Good Luck! Email me if you want to see pics of the area I've taken while elk hunting there in the past. [email protected]

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »

Black Canyon of the Gunnison-just outside the town of Gunnison

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Here's the Blue Mesa Lake- out Hwy.#50 from Gunnison going towards Montrose and where the West Elks are.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Here's the terrain you'll be hunting in-truly God's country!!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
One last pic--looking out over the West Elk wilderness area--------

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
College towns are great in that they keep you young. The college in Gunnison offers degrees in "Outdoor Recreation" so many of the kids going there are taking subjects like kayaking,mountain biking,snowboarding,etc... Expect to slow,stop for mountain bikes all through town,college kids at all the small delis, pizza shops,etc.... The cost of living is representative of this outdoor playground also so be prepared for that. Neat little town,IMO....

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Best advice I can give you is to just take me with you.  :D  We'll get thru this togeather.Get you a map and topo of the public land, pick a spot and take off.Take advice from those who have hunted the high country on safty.You can't just always walk back to the truck when the weather gets bad.Good luck and enjoy the adventure.You will find plenty of help on this site.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Lived in Co. for many years and spent time in Gunnison and Crested Butte just above Gunnison. Had some great Art Shows in Crested Butte and there is a nice lake to fish way up there called Lake Erwin. Beautiful country BBBuuuttt cold in the winter! A friend and bow maker named Mike of Grizzly Bows from AZ has moved to Paonia Co. which will be down toward the Grand Junction area.They told you right about the fishing. You will get spoiled there. You will be entering Gods country. Best of luck.....Chort

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I hunted around Lake Irwin back in '91. There is a pocket of elk that hangs around "The Dyke" up on top but the mountain bikers,hikers coming from Lake Irwin sort of spoiled my hunt. Of course, it was the Labor Day weekend so the place was hopping with city dwellers enjoying the great outdoors. I ended up moving my elk hunting over to the West Elks.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Hey I live in southern wyo. Know a little about the area there. If you are looking for some shooting hit me up.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 03:58:00 AM »
Thanks you all so much!
by the sounds it is a very good hunting and fishing area.

thanks for the help Roger, seems like you know allot about the area, ill keep in touch.

thanks Randy i will, and great elk by the way!    :thumbsup:    

doesn't sound like its going to be to difficult to invite someone up there to show me how to hunt Elk either      :thumbsup:

Andy Ivy

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I've hunted West Elk Wilderness great area. Gunnison is one of the most beautiful areas of the state.

Offline Dark_Timber_Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I took my first elk (270 cass 6x6)in Pagosa Springs (just down the road) on government land and I will say that it is truely beutiful country filled with some of the best people you will ever meet.  I made new friends every day their whether at camp, on the mountain or in the coffee shop and have longed to go back ever since.  unlike mst other hunters, the people of the area will gladly help you find game/fish and provide helpful insite as to how to take them.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

R/

-Rutledge-
R/

-Rutledge-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©