3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacking Food  (Read 580 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Backpacking Food
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Anyone know a good source for lite-weight backpacking food.  I'm talking actual entrees, not just energy bars or trail mix.  A lot of places on the web deal military spec MREs but they seem like they would get pretty heavy if you tried to carry in enough for a week, a case of 12 weighs about 19 lbs.  I think others have mentioned Walmart sells small dehydrated/freeze dried food pouches. Anyone have any experience with these.  
Those of you who do back pack hunts into remote areas or are bivvy hunters, what do you use for meals?
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Greg Sz.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacking Food
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Burnsie, if you repack the MRE's they are smaller and they weigh less. That is what I learned from both my cousin and my dad who are in the military.
40#@28 '66 Herters Internat. Match Hunter
65#@28 Zipper Recurve (Bob Thompson model)
50#@28 DAS Dalaa

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Burnsie,

I don't have a lot of time right now, but you can make your own...they are the best.

Take a look at freezerbagcooking.com

If you have a dehydrator, you can dry your own stuff and use vacuum sealer bags.

Another "cheaper" way is to buy the large cans of Mountain House and bag them up into serving size portions.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
You don't have to spend a fortune on freeze dried foods. Ramen noodles and instant oatmeal come immediately to mind, and there are a lot of other choices available at the supermarket.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
A book by Cameron Hanes called, Back Country Bowhunting, covers this in depth.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Check out Parade magazine this weekend - they even show how you can make risotto for your campfire using arborio rice, boullon cubes, garlic, and parmesan cheese.

Try buying some bulk jerky and saran wrap it into portions - takes a lot of time to chew and it can give you plenty of daily protein for a week.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Burnsie, try REI, either mail order or there's a store near you.  For me, the evening meal's the nice one, so I'll spoil myself.  You might consider adding some small Platypus bags to your pack to carry wine.  I'll have one of those, plus about a half-pint of cognac or Gosling's Black Seal rum, and a cigar for each night I'm out. Helps keep the skeeters at bay!  I can recommend a Punch Royal Coronation in it's little aluminum "tubo" weighs next to nothing, and is protected.  Nip the end before you pack `em, and the nipper's one less thing in the pack.  For cooking, I pack a small pot called an Outback Oven.  PM me and I'll be happy to share 30 years of "roughing it" experience.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

The Lipton or Knorr rice or noodle packets are a grocery store easy meal and comes in many varieties. The MREs can be bought by "entree" only. Just buy those and the MRE heaters for a more compact,lighter pack in.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Oatmeal packets,either flavored or regular along with the coffee "singles"(coffee like tea bags) makes my breakfast. Peanut butter or honey in squeeze tubes can be added to the regular oatmeal to give extra flavor/energy. KFC has the individual honey packets for their biscuits so stock up on them prior to your trip.
Jerky can be reconstituted by throwing in hot water. This is a source of real "meat". Ramen noodles or Lipton Cup-a-Soup, bouillion cubes all taste good on those cold,damp days of the hunt. Gorp or trail mix makes a good mid day snack in the daypack.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I use Mt House a lot for entrees, but also just make Stove Top stuffing and add a small can of chicken, beef, ham, etc.  Not too shabby.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I use Mountian house. Every year while turkey hunting I premeasure my water for the meals I will eat in the blind. I use a little portable stove that boils the water in just a minute, pour it in the bag, wait 5 min and presto!!!! You have a hot meal, on a cold day.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
I normaly go with the mountain house brand as well,There affordable, light weight and fill me well.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
If you are hunting hard you need good nutritious food to rebuild your body. The MREs are a great source of nutrients and lots of calories. You don't have to bring a stove and fuel either. I bring one for each dinner and then supplement them with bars and other munchies.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I've used some of these and like 'em especially with some of the sealed pouch chicken added. All self contained to cook and eat and seal up the trash to haul out.

http://www.trailfoods.com/index.html

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I've always liked Mountain House and Backpacker entrees.  Lost Arra those entrees look good , I'll have to place an order.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Ohh, Chinook, not a bad idea!!  I'd add some dehydrated peas, onions and mushrooms as well.  Grill your own chicken and put it in a food dehydrator-I gotta try that myself!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Those Lipton Sides are very good. I find them local on sale for a buck.The Terryaki noodles are first rate
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flinttim:
Those Lipton Sides are very good. I find them local on sale for a buck.The Terryaki noodles are first rate
Ditto on the liptons... A lil olio or olive oil added helps out as does the foil packed chicken and tuna... Light and cheap... very popular on the Appalachian trail...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©