3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Now in unheated garage  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Now in unheated garage
« on: December 09, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
I haven’t been on in a while.  I have two bows and for various reasons have them at a property I’m building 20 minutes away.  But they’ve been in unheated garage for weeks now. Some of you guys might know the relative humidity, temperatures in Newfoundland Canada. Lately been around your freezing temp of 32. A little under some days, a little over others.  Will this harm these bows. One is a hybrid Savanahh. The other a 68’ roots recurve.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Now in unheated garage
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 06:49:43 PM »
Some bow were built with leather handles, and do not have a sealer, or finish underneath making it possible for humidity, or moisture to cause a problem. I would not string the bow while it is there.  If you decide to string the bows, and it is much colder or warmer outside, allow them to acclimate outside before string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hill Style

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 08:23:14 PM »
I hunt in all kinds of temperatures from high humidity warm/hot southern states to drier colder Midwest states. I have lived in an unheated tent for weeks. I leave my longbows in the bed of my truck in a PVC tube rain or shine -10 degrees or 100 degrees never had a problem. The longbow I’m shooting and have been shooting for the last 4 years was built in 1980 and has a leather grip.

Bringing a bow inside a heated house tent etc. then bringing it back outside in freezing temps would cause more concern than any steady temperature.
Hold long hold wrong

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 08:48:03 PM »
I have a RD longbow made in the 1950s and it has been stored in a garage year round with no problems.
Temps from -0s to 110°.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »
Thanks fellows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©