3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flying with one piece bows (or 3 piece)  (Read 9657 times)

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Flying with one piece bows (or 3 piece)
« on: December 11, 2023, 11:25:51 AM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but kind of going along with the other topic about flying with meat, how do you guys fly commercially with a one piece bow? I'll be headed to Idaho for spring bear and then again for elk in the fall. I know it's not ideal, but I just don't have the funds (and looking at some bowyers wait times, the time) for a new bow at the moment. Having a takedown bow for this stuff down the road would be great, just isn't doable currently. I'll be taking my great northern ghost, which is 62 inches. Ideally I'd like some sort of case that will hold my bow, arrows, quiver, and then maybe have room for some other stuff like clothes, optics, etc. I've read about people using PVC pipe, but I don't know if my recurve would fit like a longbow would, and that doesn't really leave room for anything else.

If anyone has any suggestions or prior experience, that would be great!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 11:15:58 PM by Trenton G. »

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flying with one piece bows
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
You could look at Snow Ski travel cases and pack your clothing in the case with the bow for added protection. I've seen multi ski set cases go for under $100 on Amazon.

just a thought.
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Offline Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:21:04 PM »
By the time that you pay for an oversized case for two trips you could’ve purchased a good takedown and thrown it in an arrow case. Just a thought.  We have takedowns for that very reason.  My wife leaves her super ghost recurve at home when we are flying

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
Here’s what I used until I got a takedown bow.  http://www.farnortharchery.com/

It’s basically heavy duty PVC pipe with a sturdy nylon cover and handle.  There are several different models made to accommodate recurves or multiple longbows and arrows.  Good luck on your hunt!

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 09:21:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really like the ski case idea. I'd never thought of that. I would think that would be fine since it's not a firearm.
I'll keep looking for takedown, but even looking for used ones it's tough to find a deal anymore. Especially in the specs that I'd want.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 12:05:26 PM »
Black Hunter takedown won’t bust your bank!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
I've shot Black Hunters, and bought a few for the archery club in college, but I never got along with them very well. For what they cost they're a great bow and value, but not necessarily something I'm going to bring along on a trip like this. The riser and shelf didn't really work for me, and there was a bit of stacking at my draw. I've heard others have no problem with that, so maybe it was just those particular bows that I've shot.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
It's always a gamble of sorts flying with a fairly expensive 1piece.  Too many airline issues abound, particularly these troublesome dayze.  I always use TD bows.  In fact, all the national and international tournament orgs allow at least a 2 piece longbow in that class, because of airline/travel issues.

While the BH in longbow format would be my choice, there are other near double cost new 3 piece recurves that might work well and not break the bank.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 04:58:25 AM »
Even though it would take two days to drive from Michigan to Idaho, it really only takes one extra day since you would waste a day flying anyway. Then you would have no problems transporting your one piece bow, returning home with meat, or local transportation while you were in Idaho.  Plus you have less chance of catching any bug that might be floating around in the crowds of people in airports and airplanes.

At least, that's my thought process for my next hunting trip away from home. It seems easier to find the extra day coming and going than it does to deal with the problems of flying somewhere to hunt.  Of course, hunting in Alaska or Africa would be different, but for a two day drive part way across the US, I’m thinking that driving might be a better option.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 02:57:41 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but kind of going along with the other topic about flying with meat, how do you guys fly commercially with a one piece bow? I'll be headed to Idaho for spring bear and then again for elk in the fall. I know it's not ideal, but I just don't have the funds (and looking at some bowyers wait times, the time) for a new bow at the moment. Having a takedown bow for this stuff down the road would be great, just isn't doable currently. I'll be taking my great northern ghost, which is 62 inches. Ideally I'd like some sort of case that will hold my bow, arrows, quiver, and then maybe have room for some other stuff like clothes, optics, etc. I've read about people using PVC pipe, but I don't know if my recurve would fit like a longbow would, and that doesn't really leave room for anything else.

If anyone has any suggestions or prior experience, that would be great!

Check your messages .    PM sent    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 09:39:31 PM »
I'm tracking along with you Dave, plus my FJ needs a vacation!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 02:45:51 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
P v c schedule 4  from your hardware store Then live with the airlines charge you up the asset.

This is why I sold several of my one piece bows bought take Downs that I can travel with without giving the airlines the satisfaction.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!
McDave, I would love to drive, and it's not entirely ruled out, but my buddy and I both have limited vacation time and want to be able to spend as much time in the woods as we can. While I absolutely love Michigan and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, it is a bit of a pain having to go a few hours north or a few hours south before we can even start heading west. If we are successful though, we have considered renting a vehicle for the drive back.

I'm liking the ski bag suggestion. I talked to a coworker who goes out west quite often skiing and he showed me the case he uses. He also said that it wasn't nearly as bad as he thought to fly it out. I figure if I reinforce it with a few dowel rods or something to keep them from bending it the wrong way, that ought to work nicely.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 11:15:35 PM »
I'm going to revive this topic a bit here. While the one piece bow is an option still, I found a very good deal on a Blacktail Elite VL that I am now hoping to bring out west. With that being said, I still am trying to figure out the best way to fly everything out. I'll have a checked bag, a carry on, and then a smaller backpack that will fit under my seat. I believe that I can get all of my clothing and such in my carry on and backpack without much trouble, but I still need to get my big pack, bow, arrows, and sleeping bag out. I'm thinking just a big suitcase for all of those, as I don't think I could fit my pack into a takedown bow case, even with the foam and such taken out. I considered using my pack as my checked bag, but from the reading that I've done, I think it would exceed the size limits. Are there any cases/suitcases that you all prefer for getting everything there at once? The biggest challenge for me is my arrows, as they are 31" long and I'd like to put them in some sort of PVC tubing or something to protect them.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Flying with one piece bows (or 3 piece)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 11:39:44 PM »
I wish I had your problem!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 09:07:26 PM »
It's a good problem to have, but definitely a bit stressful at the same time! I see that someone brought another topic about cases to the top so I'll look into that one a bit as well.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 10:54:04 PM »
A good quality rolling duffle gives a lot of length for a check-in bag.  The back side is rigid for protection.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 10:13:28 AM »
I think the biggest problem you have is the total volume of things you need to carry in order to both hunt and backpack.  In recent years, I have moved away from traveling with a specially made bow case (although I would probably still use one if I were traveling with something of the same quality as a Blacktail!).  Instead, I use one huge duffel bag which is still within the limits of the airlines for both size and weight, plus carryon items.

In that bag, I can pack everything I need: a takedown bow, arrows, and clothing, for either a multi day hunt or tournament, provided that I have somewhere to sleep indoors at night.  But that bag is jam full, and I still have to make choices about what stuff I take with me and what stuff I must leave behind in order to get the bag closed. There is no way I could do it without checking more than one bag if I had to carry camping equipment too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 11:01:12 AM »
For a fly in hunt where I’m limited to 70 lbs of gear and need to take everything to live in the bush for 2 weeks including freeze dried, I use two checked duffles for my commercial flight, packed full. I use a good sized pack for a carry on and cram as much as possible in there too. Volume is a huge issue. I put my takedown bow in the middle of the bag wrapped in clothing. I have the lightest wt plastic arrow tube I could find and cut off as much extra plastic as possible. Yeah finding a non-duffle that will take 30 inch arrows in a tube is difficult. I also take minimum # of arrows …no more than 6-7…so I can use a smaller lighter tube and to cut down unnecessary weight in extra arrows.

R

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 01:20:08 PM »
I'm going to revive this topic a bit here. While the one piece bow is an option still, I found a very good deal on a Blacktail Elite VL that I am now hoping to bring out west. With that being said, I still am trying to figure out the best way to fly everything out. I'll have a checked bag, a carry on, and then a smaller backpack that will fit under my seat. I believe that I can get all of my clothing and such in my carry on and backpack without much trouble, but I still need to get my big pack, bow, arrows, and sleeping bag out. I'm thinking just a big suitcase for all of those, as I don't think I could fit my pack into a takedown bow case, even with the foam and such taken out. I considered using my pack as my checked bag, but from the reading that I've done, I think it would exceed the size limits. Are there any cases/suitcases that you all prefer for getting everything there at once? The biggest challenge for me is my arrows, as they are 31" long and I'd like to put them in some sort of PVC tubing or something to protect them.

Honestly the best way to go is to ship your gear ahead using ing FedEx. No muss , no fuss. And coming home bring a couple coolers full of meat and not mess with baggage.  It’s the only way to fly IMO.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©