3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie Suit Users.....  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie Suit Users.....
« on: December 11, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »
Do you trim your bow arm or just cut the sleeve off?

I have a Rancho Safari long coat, getting serious about my ground game. The quality of that sleeve is so perfect :biglaugh:.....so far I have trimmed everything almost bare....what do you folks think? I hate to cut it off.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie Suit Users.....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
I have sapper kill suite and cut the sleeve off. I trimmed the chest a little, but couldn’t get the bow arm trimmed to my liking. It works good without the sleeve, but, it’s not nearly as nice as a rancho safari suit so I would probably spend a little more time trimming and cut the sleeve off as a last resort.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 05:00:30 PM »
Rancho Safari sells a long arm guard that covers up past the elbow. I have used with bulky clothes. If you already trimmed the sleeve, the guard should be good with what’s left.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 05:07:51 PM »
Trim high and tight and use an arm guard, never have had any issues.

I'm using a Bushrag synthetic kit gillie that I put together......

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 06:32:35 PM »
I trim the bow arm and part of the chest area that the string gets close to.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
Basically cut mine off
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline ed lash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 08:08:38 PM »
Huh. It never dawned on me to remove the whole sleeve. I use the long and short coat from Rancho. I’ve just always aggressively trimmed the sleeve and chest area. These things work.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 09:17:30 PM »
I made mine. Only put jute on back side of arm, trimmed anything that hung in the way. Kept my left breast bare of jute. Wear arm guard to keep it tight. It's been a couple years since I've worn it.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 09:33:49 PM »
I use a 3under hard sighting system and do not cant my bow so, I trim the inside and frequently add to certain areas along the outside.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 07:27:36 AM »
Huh. It never dawned on me to remove the whole sleeve. I use the long and short coat from Rancho. I’ve just always aggressively trimmed the sleeve and chest area. These things work.

Yeah, I see a ton of folks on YouTube that just cut it off.

I'm not going to. It's too high of quality product to butcher. I have it trimmed pretty tight on sleeve and left chest.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 12:09:28 PM »
I have a Rancho Safari as well.  Last year, I trimmed it all over just to reduce weight and bulk a little.  Regardless, a long arm guard keeps the material there out of the way.  Mine is constructed mostly of jute/burlap and smells like it.  Is there any way to get the smell out?  I've washed it once (That's a helluva job), let it air in the sun for weeks.  Still smells like jute.  I use it for turkey, but not so much for deer because of the smell. 

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 12:13:00 PM »
I have a Rancho Safari as well.  Last year, I trimmed it all over just to reduce weight and bulk a little.  Regardless, a long arm guard keeps the material there out of the way.  Mine is constructed mostly of jute/burlap and smells like it.  Is there any way to get the smell out?  I've washed it once (That's a helluva job), let it air in the sun for weeks.  Still smells like jute.  I use it for turkey, but not so much for deer because of the smell.

I have used my for turkeys mostly....this year will be the first year I am serious about ground hunting. I plan on letting it sit out in the rain, then air drying it....after that keeping it in a tub with dirt, pine bows, etc....

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »
Here's what I did, and it worked.  But I didn't use it much, so I have no hunting success with it to speak of...

I bought a thin, inexpensive fleece-type jacket, then cut a lot of it away.  The right arm, gone at the shoulder.  Chunks cut out of the chest area.  But I left a little area over my left chest/shoulder to hold the ghillie material out of the path of the bowstring.  And I cut the back side of the left sleeve off, all the way to the cuff.  I left a strip above the elbow, and a strip below, to hold it together.  So basically, I had a long left sleeve with three giant rectangular chunks cut out of the back side of it.  Then I pulled that over my Rancho Safari long coat.  I pulled the ghillie material through the holes I'd cut in the fleece thing, so it would still accomplish its purpose for concealment.  When I wore the thing, I put my short leather armguard on in its normal position, over the modified sleeve of my cut-up fleece jacket, and over the arm of the long coat.  I put it on in such a way that when I stretched my bow arm out to draw my bow, the modified fleece jacket sleeve pulled tight against my arm (from the shoulder) and pulled all the ghillie stuff out of the way.  YMMV.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 03:35:11 PM »
I modified mine by cutting a slit on the underside of the arm so that I could slide pretty much my whole arm out, bit still have the sleeve to use if I want.

Amazing how well it works.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 04:59:42 PM »
I trimmed mine but also use the full length arm guard I purchased from them. 
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »
I trimmed the chest a bit on mine as well as the sleeve. But what i found as the best arm guard you can get for coats and ghillie suits both is cutting the toe out of a knee high nylon stocking, or knee high tights. The tights or support stockings are more durable.

WARNING!!!  Buy your own and don't raid your wives stocking drawer or you'll be in hot water... With this type of arm guard, even if your string was to brush that nylon material it has no effect on string at all. It compresses your sleeve nicely, and is easily put on or taken off... I keep a couple in my pack at all times.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
Like wood carver said, I used a long armguard, that went from my wrist to above my elbow.  I did still trim the chest some, but didn't have to trim a ton on the arm.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »

I have used my for turkeys mostly....this year will be the first year I am serious about ground hunting. I plan on letting it sit out in the rain, then air drying it....after that keeping it in a tub with dirt, pine bows, etc....

At the beginning of the season, I'll mud mine, like we do our layout blinds for waterfowl, and hang them outside to dry then shake them out and beat them with a broom. That takes away any sheen as some types of the leafy material will flash in the sun. After mudding they'll smell like dirt for a long time, and you'll get dirty but it does the job and helps it to blend in the woods. Tying in a small amount of natural material will help, particularly if aromatic like Cedar. A little goes a long way there.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 12:00:39 PM »
I trimmed the inside of mine real low, along with the left pec area.  I saw no reason to cut the whole sleeve off.  They also may a real long arm guard but I never used it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online lcamp319

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 10:13:47 PM »
I cut my netting part of the left sleeve where the sleeve meets the body.  I cut from the arm pit around the front next to the sleeve/boby seam to the top, on the shoulder.  Then I pull the sleeve inside out, so the sleeve is actually inside the coat.  When bow hunting, simply stick my arm through the hole I cut and have no ghillie parts on my arm.  If gun hunting, I pull the sleeve out to normal and have full ghillie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©